Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I was looking at Specilized site. Top food chain Allez Sprint bicycle is a 1x electronic shifting bicycle.
IMHO Specialized is saving money by NOT paying manufacturer for front shifting components.
105 speced second tier Specialized Allez Sprint 2x would be my choice.
RQ

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was looking at Specilized site. Top food chain Allez Sprint bicycle is a 1x electronic shifting bicycle.
IMHO Specialized is saving money by NOT paying manufacturer for front shifting components.
105 speced second tier Specialized Allez Sprint 2x would be my choice.
RQ
Allez gets strong consideration toward criterium racing so, spec at the top model has pedigree.

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
Well your opinion has no basis in reality.
The manufacturer of the Allez Sprint LTD - Force eTap AXS 1x (SRAM) sells the gropset specifically for 1x setups.

Groupset pricing varies based on brake type selection and 2x or 1x drivetrain selection

This is common and normal among all the manufacturers. It's not some conspiracy to take your money.

·
Registered
27,549 Posts
Just makes no sense to take components away for a bicycle upgrade. True, bicycle has electronic shifting but less gears?
RQ
Electronic shifting on a 1X is probably all marketing. You know, put the latest tech on the top of the line bike and let it trickle down. Heck, ya got 12 gears all lined up in back. You could fine tune them for different terrain environments simply by changing the size of the chain ring. Trackies have done that on their single speeds for years.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What I find fascinating about going 1X on an electronic system, is it's just profit for SRAM to not provide a front derailer. The Shimano Di2 system arguably provides the best front shifting of any component group on the market. The ability to Synchro shift, regardless of how you feel about it, is a really smart and reliable and well-functioning system. You get MORE gears then with 1X, destroys the argument people use about 1X being easier and more reliable and it figures out where the system needs to shift to allow you to make best use of those gears. Even if you choose to not enable Synchro, the front shift on a Di2 is perfect and stays that way. 1X is NOT the path you want to take with electronic.

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
What I find fascinating about going 1X on an electronic system, is it's just profit for SRAM to not provide a front derailer.
No. That's ridiculous. Where do you come up with this stuff.

SRAM sells their groupset in 1x or 2x configurations. And guess what... the 1x is cheaper than the 2x. How much cheaper? More than the cost of a front derailleur.
This is common and normal among all the manufacturers. It's not some conspiracy to take your money.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,180 Posts
No. That's ridiculous. Where do you come up with this stuff.

SRAM sells their groupset in 1x or 2x configurations. And guess what... the 1x is cheaper than the 2x. How much cheaper? The cost of a front derailleur.
Not to mention that have you even looked at what individual drivetrain components cost? Front derailleurs are cheap - cheaper than any of the other drivetrain components.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
.... you are spending $4K+ on a bike and your targeting to save $200 for a FD, so you don't get 2 lower or higher gears. A fools folly!!
Unless you forever plan to ride on the flat land!
... and it's more than a FD, you forgot the crank, longer chain, left shifter, and extra chain ring.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
What I find fascinating about going 1X on an electronic system, is it's just profit for SRAM to not provide a front derailer. The Shimano Di2 system arguably provides the best front shifting of any component group on the market. The ability to Synchro shift, regardless of how you feel about it, is a really smart and reliable and well-functioning system. You get MORE gears then with 1X, destroys the argument people use about 1X being easier and more reliable and it figures out where the system needs to shift to allow you to make best use of those gears. Even if you choose to not enable Synchro, the front shift on a Di2 is perfect and stays that way. 1X is NOT the path you want to take with electronic.
Unless you are Caleb Ewan trying for a world tour stage win when your Di2 fails and won’t shift into 53/12 in the final 30 meters…

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
Unless you are Caleb Ewan trying for a world tour stage win when your Di2 fails and won’t shift into 53/12 in the final 30 meters…
Didn't Caleb crash out of the Giro?
Are you talking about Fernando Gaviria? He had that problem the other day. Of course it had nothing to do with electronic shifting. The same thing would have happened with a mechanical RD.
“I had problems with my derailleur in the end and I couldn’t get in the gear I needed,” Gaviria said. “It was a hectic final and I think someone’s wheel may have touched me from behind"

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Didn't Caleb crash out of the Giro?
Are you talking about Fernando Gaviria? He had that problem the other day. Of course it had nothing to do with electronic shifting. The same thing would have happened with a mechanical RD.
“I had problems with my derailleur in the end and I couldn’t get in the gear I needed,” Gaviria said. “It was a hectic final and I think someone’s wheel may have touched me from behind"
Yes, thank you, Gaviria. Even is still there, he did crash in the sprint in Hungary but he was fine. Photo finish with Demares yesterday.

Wasn’t Di2 was not responding to the shifter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
... so your saying that no one in the past has had problems with thier shifters in the sprint?
[/QUOTE

I know the sprinters absolutely love electronic shifting because of the flexibility in the ergonomics. Of course, being realistic, every system has its failures.

Reactions: duriel

·
Registered
27,549 Posts
... so your saying that no one in the past has had problems with thier shifters in the sprint?
There's something elegant in stainless steel cables, cinched down with an 8 mm allen wrench. Back before click shifting, a sprinter would slam the shifter all the way forward into the last gear and stomp on the pedals. No click stops, thank you. If the chain wasn't in gear, rider would tighten down the wing nut on the shift lever and manually adjust. Putting clicks in there was in a sense going backwards, turning a manual function over to mechanical, thereby taking away control when the derailleur cage gets bent out of whack. Those long derailleurs on 1x are hanging down just asking for it.

That's ok, though. Modern enthusiasts have to go with modern tech. Computer shifting is the current hipness, like watt meters, really low gears, proprietary shoe-pedal combos, hydraulic disc brakes, thru axle wheels, one piece carbon stem-handlebars with the i phone sticking out in front, and carbon fiber frames. There's no longer manual over ride when thing aren't working on that freedom machine. But WTH, you can always call home!

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
There's something elegant in stainless steel cables, cinched down with an 8 mm allen wrench.
8mm allen wrench? Your bike uses 10mm cinch bolts? 😂 😂 😂
Cable cinch bolts are 4 - 6mm.

Putting clicks in there was in a sense going backwards, turning a manual function over to mechanical, thereby taking away control when the derailleur cage gets bent out of whack. Those long derailleurs on 1x are hanging down just asking for it.
Nope. Just more of you not knowing what you're talking about.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,180 Posts
There's something elegant in stainless steel cables, cinched down with an 8 mm allen wrench. Back before click shifting, a sprinter would slam the shifter all the way forward into the last gear and stomp on the pedals. No click stops, thank you. If the chain wasn't in gear, rider would tighten down the wing nut on the shift lever and manually adjust. Putting clicks in there was in a sense going backwards, turning a manual function over to mechanical, thereby taking away control when the derailleur cage gets bent out of whack. Those long derailleurs on 1x are hanging down just asking for it.

That's ok, though. Modern enthusiasts have to go with modern tech. Computer shifting is the current hipness, like watt meters, really low gears, proprietary shoe-pedal combos, hydraulic disc brakes, thru axle wheels, one piece carbon stem-handlebars with the i phone sticking out in front, and carbon fiber frames. There's no longer manual over ride when thing aren't working on that freedom machine. But WTH, you can always call home!
Come on, Freddy. Who needs gears? Just get one of these, so elegantly simple!
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
23,049 Posts
Come on, Freddy. Who needs gears? Just get one of these, so elegantly simple!
View attachment 484108
Single speed. Simple and elegant!
You wanna go faster... pedal faster. You wanna go slower... pedal slower.

These silly Modern enthusiasts with their fancy gears, cables, brakes, air inflated tires. Pfftttt.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,180 Posts
Single speed. Simple and elegant!
You wanna go faster... pedal faster. You wanna go slower... pedal slower.

These silly Modern enthusiasts with their fancy gears, cables, brakes, air inflated tires. Pfftttt.
Not to mention safety bikes? Live dangerously! (y)

41 - 60 of 77 Posts