Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is cavendish' bike made out of?
i was just now able to watch today's rebroadcast.
1. cav is scary awesome.
2. how does his bike keep from being wrenched apart by whatever superhuman forces he imposes upon it? is the frame like technolibidivadium or something? how do his handlebars possibly refrain from being twisted like a twist-tie on the garbage bag in which he tosses the rest of the top-notch sprinter field?

the overhead shot of cav catapulting out makes it look like mere steel would twist and crack.

·
Registered
255 Posts
PJay said:
what is cavendish' bike made out of?
i was just now able to watch today's rebroadcast.
1. cav is scary awesome.
2. how does his bike keep from being wrenched apart by whatever superhuman forces he imposes upon it? is the frame like technolibidivadium or something? how do his handlebars possibly refrain from being twisted like a twist-tie on the garbage bag in which he tosses the rest of the top-notch sprinter field?

the overhead shot of cav catapulting out makes it look like mere steel would twist and crack.
Lets face it, most of the top sprinters were not challenging for the sprints, or were not here. Farrar was injured early on and withdrew, Boonen never started(perhaps his lat real chance due to age). Either way he dominated, but Id prefer to see a healthy Farrar and Boonen contesting it.

·
9,790 Posts
His bike is made out of WIN.

·
Registered
4 Posts
smw said:
Lets face it, most of the top sprinters were not challenging for the sprints, or were not here. Farrar was injured early on and withdrew, Boonen never started(perhaps his lat real chance due to age). Either way he dominated, but Id prefer to see a healthy Farrar and Boonen contesting it.
Farrar is probably one year away from contesting Cav; Boonen, even during what was arguably his best year (the rainbow jersey year) had trouble keeping with McEwen in the sprints. Boonen, like Hushovd, is a classics rider, and while able to outsprint all but maybe 10 or so in the peloton, likely wouldn't have been able to contest Cav.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
smw said:
I am tired of these lines of argument - earlier someone else was saying *last year* apparently there were no top sprinters at the Tour either, and that this year Petacchi will show Cav how it's done. Well, he didn't - Cav stumbled in his first sprint but was basically flawless from then on, even without his leadout man.

Cav beat Boonen, Farrar, Freire, Hushovd, Petacchi, McEwen, Dean, Hunter, Haussler, Ciolek etc. so many times in the past 3 years, it is difficult to keep score. And each time he won it very convincingly too. Over the past few years he lost only a handful of sprints head-to-head - and is clearly the fastest, most dominant sprinter of the past few years.

Deal with it.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Remember that Cavendish put Haussler, Ciolek and Boonen KO during the TDS.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
PJay said:

Although the question holds a bit of a comical nature to it, I'll just answer it if you're seriously serious. :p

Link provided by Pretender explains it. But to highlight/simplify the answer, key exceptional components were at the cockpit. Shimano PRO (non-drivetrain componentry line) collaborated with Cav. Initially, they ran him with their Vibe Track stem since it was the stiffest thing in their line. Afterwards, they created prototype parts for him run with that have become a part of the Shimano Pro StarSeries signature line for Cav. This includes an exceptionally stiffer stem - stiffer than the regular Vibe stem and presumably up there with the Vibe Track - and bar, which I assume is comparable to the Vibe Track component in terms of stiffness.

Otherwise, the BB and BB shell is/are made of unidirectional weave, di-uranium monofiber.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
smw said:
Boonen is 30. McEwen is 38. I think Tom may have a few years left.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Salsa_Lover said:
Remember that Cavendish put Haussler, Ciolek and Boonen KO during the TDS.
Well, hey- crashing them out is one way to take out the competition, yes?

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
That said, whatever conflicted feelings I have regarding Cav aside- he was and is astonishing! I thought he'd be lost without Renshaw, I thought when his train got disrupted (on at least 2 stages) he'd have problems.
Nah.
Makes it look easy, in fact.
Sometimes they look close, from head on, but then they showed the overhead shot- holy sh*te! Man, that guy is just amazing...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have seen Cavs old Addict bike. It is in my LBS here on the Isle of Man. It looks like a stock Addict, but is strengthened all over. The fork is stronger too. Everything is so stiff. The LBS was planning on stocking some of his signature PRO bars and stems but Cav recommended against it. The road here on the Isle of Man are very rough and uneven and he said they would be too stiff to ride here.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thx manxshred

thanks for this insider's note.
maybe cav is tough partly because those streets are so tough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts