Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that, Evans can hang with the CSC trio... I thought there might have been a solo atack , by sastra or frank to keep evans in the red zone, but that did not happen....

I would think tomorrow, CSC, will send someone out front (yens) , and attack with sastra drawing evans into the red zone.... then have Frank real evans in with andy and then do a final attack.... and have yens for support...

I know well , that my plan is very flawed and you will point this out... But I want to learn what the attack strategy could be from CSC....

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
none of their GC guys wanted to spend too much energy with tomorrow's stage coming up. They rode smart today--had their team set a hard tempo up the climb to see if any riders were having a bad day. Got rid of VDV, and gapped Menchov on the descent. Pretty good results for the stage. Tomorrow is the make or break day for CSC-both Schleck and Sastre need minutes on Evans/Menchov if they have any hope of winning since the final TT is long. Will probably try to rip people's legs off tomorrow again but will likely see the main GC contenders together at the start of the final climb then the fireworks will begin. Realistically, on alpe d'huez you need to attack on the lower half to separate the group-the top half isn't that hard and some of it is big chain climbing.

·
Registered
460 Posts
They'll have to do something tomorrow to put time into both Evans and Menchov. If they keep having 5 riders or more in the Yellow group, then there is no way for the others to effectively counter. I expect you'll see alot of attacking from Sastre to free up Frank. Frank seems to be riding stronger than Carlos right now. (although Andy is lights out!). I think Kohl takes the day, suprising everyone, then gets popped a couple days later for doping. Can't help it, I'm suspicious:(

·
Registered
272 Posts
They are going to have to sacrifice one of the 2 riders to win the GC. Right now, seems like they are working together to both have a shot at the podium.

Who ever is gonna be the duck has gotta attack and attack. The GC rider they are behind just has to wheelsuck Evans, as it would be his responsibility to respond.

2 things can happen. The attacking rider cracks Evans and gets up the road at which time 2nd rider can try and bridge If and only if he drops Evans and not drags him up.

Or attacking rider blows up before evans, at which time its the GC riders turn to turn up the heat.

Both of them putting in mild attacks so they both make it up the climbs is hurting themselves.

I for 1 hope CSC sacrifices a rider to win the overall.

·
Registered
337 Posts
bbgobie said:
They are going to have to sacrifice one of the 2 riders to win the GC. Right now, seems like they are working together to both have a shot at the podium.

Who ever is gonna be the duck has gotta attack and attack. The GC rider they are behind just has to wheelsuck Evans, as it would be his responsibility to respond.

2 things can happen. The attacking rider cracks Evans and gets up the road at which time 2nd rider can try and bridge If and only if he drops Evans and not drags him up.

Or attacking rider blows up before evans, at which time its the GC riders turn to turn up the heat.

Both of them putting in mild attacks so they both make it up the climbs is hurting themselves.

I agree. They need to decide whether they want first or second and maybe third.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I thought....

bbgobie said:

I figure Frank is stronger than sastra at this point.... Sastra has to attack and wear out evans... Yens & andy have to position themselves to aid Frank OR sastra... If sastra can hold and wear our evans, he could win the tour... I think its a good bet that , Evans, Frank & sastra will podium....

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
CSC's strategy tomorrow is simple: continue to do what USPS/Disco did for several years by shredding the peloton and putting as much pressure on Evans and Menchov as possible, and continue to distance CVV to earn 1 or even 2 podium spots.

Too bad Astana wasn't invited. Would have been great to see two totally stacked GC teams duke it out up Huez, mano a mano.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Certainly Sastre and Frank can both podium, but to get the win one will have to sacrifice himself for the other. Just putting pressure on Evans will not do it. They have to break him till he cries for Uncle Jens...

·
Registered
659 Posts
tomorrow is basically do or die for CSCs men..

I have a dirty feeling that if Cadel is still hanging around by Alpe d'Huez then dropping him will be even more difficult... not saying that it is not possible, but taking the desired amount of time out of him on that slope will be challenging.

If I was CSC I would try my best to isolate him on the Croix de Fer... Might be possible as Popo might be gassed after today.

Basically CSC has to whip up the pace on the Second HC climb to set up some major time gaps on Huez.

my 0.02

·
Registered
727 Posts
Agreed. But I still think they missed a trick by not trying this strategy today. Maybe Frank and Sastre can't agree on who is the hare and who the tortoise. The other day they tried attacking with Andy but Cadel's too cute to chase him.

G

·
Bingo!

fornaca68 said:
CSC's strategy tomorrow is simple: continue to do what USPS/Disco did for several years by shredding the peloton and putting as much pressure on Evans and Menchov as possible, and continue to distance CVV to earn 1 or even 2 podium spots.
Yes, CSC's domestiques remind me of LA's posse. Damn impressive (which is bothering me a bit, but I don't know what the VAMs are). And yes, it would have been a battle royal if Astana was here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
this must be the most un-informed TDF website out there. Sastre Tried to attack on todays final climb however VS didn't show it. Because SAAB Comercials are sooo good. BTW I'm never buying a SAAB just because of the commercials haunting me.

Frank and Andy both believe Carlos is still the GC hopefull and the plan is to crack Evans and Menchov on the Croix de Fer ( 2nd Climb). Frank will attack and Evans will follow then Sastre will stick it to them and hopefully blow the leaders apart. Andy is out for the Stage win. CSC knows how horrible Schleck is in the TT and basically there is no hope for him to win unless he gaps 3 minutes clear. Schleck loses at least 1 minute to Sastre in the ITT and 2-3 minutes to Evans and Menchov. I am confident the Strategy will be to set up Sastre for Yellow. Menchov I think will Crack tomorrow as will Evans. If it happens on the Croix de Fer then I think CSC can win if not then I believe Evans is the winner with Sastres Menchov on the Podium. Menchov will not place higher than Sastre. They have a deep rivalry and Sastre will continue to place higher than Menchov in the tour. Menchov seems to have the upper hand in the vuelta.

Kohl is the Wildcard. will he show weakness? He is very ugly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.