Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Fi'zi:k Antares saddle that came with my Cervelo S3. It's perfectly flat, smooth, and I love it! But it now has thousands of miles on it, and it has seen better days.

Wanting another Fi'zi:k, I went with the Fi'zi:k Antares VS saddle. It is the same saddle as the one my bike came with, only it has the pressure relief channel running down the middle.

I liked the feel of the groove when out on a ride, but noticed a slight bit of discomfort near my sitbones; almost like they were riding the edge of that grooved channel. Low and behold, when I checked my new bib shorts (first time out), there is a wear spot right on that spot of discomfort. A few more rides and I fear the bibs will have a hole rubbed through them.

This happened before with a previous saddle with this pressure relief groove. It was a Prologo saddle that came with my old CAAD 9. Within a month of riding, by old Pearl bibs were falling apart.

Does anyone else have similar issues with this type of saddle?

·
Registered
104 Posts
IIRC, that particular saddle has a very defined channel, almost like a slot cut out of a flat saddle. I use cutout saddles almost exclusively, but haven't tried that one. But if it looks how I imagine, that could be a cause of discomfort. All my saddles have cutouts, but they are smoother transitions to the cutout, as opposed to an abrupt channel cut into it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You might give it a little time for your body and the seat to come to terms with each others presence. Those ridges will break down and soften some, and your body will get used to the pressure in new places.

IMO, it's better to have that pressure off to the sides than down the middle....

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I've tried at least 6-8 saddles for more than a few rides. And more than that were instant "no" feeling. What you describe might be a "sharp" edge around the cut-out but it kind of sounds like the saddle doesn't fit you? Even if it's supposed to be the same one as your old saddle, little things can have big impacts on that contact point in my experience. None of the saddles I've used made me think I'd kill a bib prematurely and I've been getting loads of miles out of my main bibs. I think I'd just move on and start testing new saddles. Kinda sucks when you had something working and now you need to more or less start over, if that's the route you choose...

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried at least 6-8 saddles for more than a few rides. And more than that were instant "no" feeling. What you describe might be a "sharp" edge around the cut-out but it kind of sounds like the saddle doesn't fit you? Even if it's supposed to be the same one as your old saddle, little things can have big impacts on that contact point in my experience. None of the saddles I've used made me think I'd kill a bib prematurely and I've been getting loads of miles out of my main bibs. I think I'd just move on and start testing new saddles. Kinda sucks when you had something working and now you need to more or less start over, if that's the route you choose...
Yes, absolutely. Even the slightest adjustment to the saddle -- an eight inch or less forward or back, a nose tip up or down -- and you feel it. Could be psychological, but with all the miles I ride, it is more than that. Perhaps, then, my body just found comfort in the original Fizik Antares, and my form adjusted to it. Now this one with the groove creates new dynamics and a change of form.

So, what I did, was I went onto Ebay last night (seeing as these older Fizik Antares saddles are harder to find), and snatched one up. Same saddle. Just new. Once you find something that works, it's only logical to stick with it. That's why, I think, that I have a tendency to buy more than one kit when I find one that fits well -- I wear one, and when it wears out, I break out the reserve. Clothing, too, it difficult to find a perfect fit, and when you find one that works, you've got to stick with it. Unfortunately, like everything else, new models and styles change year to year, and when they do, so it seems the fit.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other thing about these Fizik saddles...

What is with the slits along the sides? The Antares I have is smooth all around, but most of the new models seem to have cuts in the saddle. I can see this friction point prematurely wearing out the material of bib and tights with your thighs going up and and down against them.

Anyone experience issues with this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is with the slits along the sides? The Antares I have is smooth all around, but most of the new models seem to have cuts in the saddle. I can see this friction point prematurely wearing out the material of bib and tights with your thighs going up and and down against them.
The slits along the sides are for the flex wing that allegedly flexes.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you measure your sit bone width before shopping for new saddle?
No, seeing as I went and bought the same one that worked before.

But now that you mentioned it, my measurements (done by sitting on a piece of cardboard, then marking and measuring the center point of each depression) is 4 3/8" or 111.125 mm. What would be the specified saddle size for that?

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
111.125 mm. What would be the specified saddle size for that?
You are almost identical to me. This would put you in narrow sit bone category. I use 134mm (or somewhere around there) width saddle. The common 143mm width feels little too wide for me.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Yes, absolutely. Even the slightest adjustment to the saddle -- an eight inch or less forward or back, a nose tip up or down -- and you feel it. Could be psychological, but with all the miles I ride, it is more than that. Perhaps, then, my body just found comfort in the original Fizik Antares, and my form adjusted to it. Now this one with the groove creates new dynamics and a change of form.

So, what I did, was I went onto Ebay last night (seeing as these older Fizik Antares saddles are harder to find), and snatched one up. Same saddle. Just new. Once you find something that works, it's only logical to stick with it. That's why, I think, that I have a tendency to buy more than one kit when I find one that fits well -- I wear one, and when it wears out, I break out the reserve. Clothing, too, it difficult to find a perfect fit, and when you find one that works, you've got to stick with it. Unfortunately, like everything else, new models and styles change year to year, and when they do, so it seems the fit.
Great idea. Get 2!! Haha! I do the same thing some times.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are almost identical to me. This would put you in narrow sit bone category. I use 134mm (or somewhere around there) width saddle. The common 143mm width feels little too wide for me.
Interesting. I was checking out the width of the Antares -- it's 142 mm. Perhaps I might want to look into an Arione, with a width of 132 mm.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Interesting. I was checking out the width of the Antares -- it's 142 mm. Perhaps I might want to look into an Arione, with a width of 132 mm.
Not to diss measurements, but I've come to believe saddles are more about magic than measurements. It's just whichever one works for whatever reason. I mention it because I'm on a saddle that is wider than the correct fit. I tried narrower and was more comfy than "ideal fit" but wider was the bomb. Knew it right away. I also like pretty much zero padding. It's so individual.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I have Arione VS (w/ groove in the middle) and the width feels about right without the discomfort at the edge of groove.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not to diss measurements, but I've come to believe saddles are more about magic than measurements. It's just whichever one works for whatever reason. I mention it because I'm on a saddle that is wider than the correct fit. I tried narrower and was more comfy than "ideal fit" but wider was the bomb. Knew it right away. I also like pretty much zero padding. It's so individual.
Very good point. Like clothing, just because it's marked a certain size, doesn't mean it's going to fit just right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts