Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When riding hard for a long period of time I can feel the muscles in my legs begin to like pulse. I can feel my calf's (that is probably spelled wrong) pulse and then shortly after cramp up. I have never had this happen to my quad because I tend to back off once it hits them. I just wanted to know if anyone else ever gets the muscle pulse, soon followed after by destroyed legs. I mean am I just not listening to my body and should slow down, or should I have no mercy (as I tend to) and just destroy my legs?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
It sounds like you are working your calves harder than they are used to. You may have your cleats a bit too far forward (which puts more stress on the calves) or they may just need to get used to the work. If the latter is the case, calf raises with weights works really well to strengthen them for cycling.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
you're pretty new to training hard, right? Your muscles do need to adapt to the unique stresses cycling places on them.

Focus on your pedaling technique, make sure you don't tense up or get sloppy as you get tired. It's natural to go heel-down as you search for more power, and that can cramp your calves quick.

I also struggle with warming up enough -- if you hammer too hard out of the gate, cramping is much more likely.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
Keep hydrated, and stretch more too. It takes time to adapt don't over do things to quick or your fitness will go backwards and injury becomes more likely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try Bananas

I've experienced the problem with my calves cramping as well. I read off this board that eating bananas for potassium before the ride would help and it did.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Electrolyte Hydration problem..

Several factors here: Electrolyte ( salt, potassium) are probably low, and your probably dehydrated...

Muscle fatigue, is also a possibility.

Its also winter, don't know what part of the country ur from but your body is not as fluid as in the summer.... Give your legs a break and don't break them...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the deal

No I am not new to cycling I've been doing it for like 3 years and mt. biking before then. I do notice though that since I use clips my feet do push futher down, and cause me to use more calf. The first time it happened was my first real ride of the season, and once a year ago I was racing this guy and was like I'm going to smoke him up this hill. I did smoke him, but all that stress caused my legs to explode and he ended up passing me after the hill. What I really wanted to know was if this was caused my lactic acid build up?

·
Registered
342 Posts
It was caused because you weren't fit enough. The stronger you get, the harder you can ride for extended periods of time. Cramping can be a symptom of hydration or nutrition, but it is often caused by stressing the body beyond the limits of what it's trained for. As your body gets used to higher workloads, you will probably stop cramping (unless you push it even harder)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts