Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bike in question is the diamondbackLX edgewood.

the salesperson said flat out (no pun intended) that it should not be ridden on crushed limestone trails and only should be ridden on paved surfaces.

sub question: is such a bikes wheels rugged enough for poorly maintained bumpy pot hole ridden city streets (tho paved, they seem pretty rough)?

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/hybrid/2010-hybrid/edgewood-lx-10/

·
Registered
529 Posts
He's full of S....

He doesn't know what he's talking about. There should be no reason why can't ride it on crushed limestone. I have standard road bike that regularly ride on crushed limestone roads around here. I do have a dedicated wheel set (32, 3x with 28mm tires) that I use and have never had a problem or a flat.

One thing is that riding on crushed lime stone will get your bike and drive train very dirty, very quick.

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
BlueMasi1 said:
He doesn't know what he's talking about.
+1000
I don't know where you live but I looked at the bike and clicked the link to find a dealer and it turned up Sports Authority which ranks right down there with Walmart, Kmart and Target for selling generally very low end bikes that are not assembled correctly and have sales people who know nothing about bikes. Just for fun, go quiz him about why specifically you shouldn't ride the bike on limestone and ask him what bike he recommends. I bet the bike for limestone costs quite a bit more.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I've ridden my road bike on crushed limestone several times. It was a rails to trails. And it was on 700x23's as well without issue. No damage, one flat - large thorn - out of approx 200 miles of riding on that type of surface.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
idic5 said:

the salesperson said flat out (no pun intended) that it should not be ridden on crushed limestone trails and only should be ridden on paved surfaces.

sub question: is such a bikes wheels rugged enough for poorly maintained bumpy pot hole ridden city streets (tho paved, they seem pretty rough)?

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/hybrid/2010-hybrid/edgewood-lx-10/

I ride 23c tires on crushed limestone

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I ride 32s and 35s on everything, including crushed gravel in the railroad yard. I put 40s on the cross bike, put @ 35-40 pounds in them and ride it on singletrack.

You'll be fine.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Crushing

idic5 said:

If the "crushed limestone" is like the ballast along railroad tracks (1-2 inches in diameter) then the salesman is probably right. Of course, there's no crushed limestone like that on any bike trail, so he is actually full of scheit.

The fat tires on that bike will take all of the shock, offering great protection for the wheels. As long as you are a "heads up" rider and avoid hitting pavement lips at full speed, you will be fine.

·
Colorado Springs, CO
629 Posts
You must be careful grasshopper, for more knowledge is known by people who don't ride than those who do.

+1 the guy who rides road tires (like 23C) on limestone/crushed gravel. Do it all the time here. The thing to watch out for is worn tires and sharp stuff. When you start getting a lot of flats because your tires are getting worn out (they'll feel "floppy" when not inflated - OK left my self open for a lot of jokes there) then get new tires.

A regularly maintained non-pavement bike path should accommodate most tire types. If you are on a true road machine, you may not like ti but it's perfectly OK. A MTB should take this in stride.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I have the 2007 version of that bike. I rode over all sorts of ****. I will say that the equipped Kendas I had were sub-par quality, but I took things as low as 23c over the same stuff (with narrower wheels, though). The standard wheels hold up well. Great bike FME.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Can't say about the tires but that limestone dust gets into everything. I bought a used MTB some years back. When I tore it down the crushed limestone was even in the springs on the canti brakes. It was like concrete.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts