Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Born to chase Ducks
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a 2010 Felt Z2 for my wife, and since she like to have a bag up front for "stuff", we were planning to swap it out the Devox Carbon Road Handlebar that comes with the bike for an alloy one, since the Topeak bag she likes clamps to the handlebar -- either side of the stem. Specifically, we are talking the Topeak TourGuide Handlebar Bag http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/TourGuideHandlebarBag

Digging a little further on the Felt website under Parts, specifically at http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/Parts/Road-and-Tri-Parts/Devox-Carbon-Road-Handlebar.aspx revealed no information regarding the drop, but DID indicate that there are two different versions of this handlebar:

1. Regular (185g)
  2. Clip-on compatible (205g)
I am going to make a SWAG that the one that comes on the 2010 Z2 is the "Clip-on compatible" one, since the listed weight of 205g matches the tech spec listed on the website the Z2 handlebar:

Handlebar: Felt DEVOX UHC-Nano Ultra Hybrid Composite Carbon Fiber Monocoque Bar w/ 3K finish & Ergonomic Drop, Ø31.8mm, 51cm=400mm, 54cm=420mm, 56cm-61cm=440mm, 205 grams (emphasis added).

We need to change the bar anyway, since when fitting her to the bike, the bike shop determined that the 440mm is just too wide for her (the 56cm frame otherwise fits her very well).

So in the final analysis, I guess I have three questions:

1. Is the factory installed Devox handlebar on the 2010 Z2 the reinforced, Clip-on compatible, handlebar?
  2. If YES, would this reinforcement be satisfactory for mounting a small Topeak handlebar bag, where the mounting clamp attaches on either side of the stem?
  3. If NO, what is the measurement of the "drop" on these handlebars, so that we can try to duplicate them without spending a lot of time trying to guess? The shop sort of measured them, and came up with 5-1/2", which would be 137.5 mm, but I didn't take the measurement myself so I'm not sure how accurate it was. The shop is an hour away, I can't get down there until Saturday, and that is when we are hoping to pick the bike up, ready to ride.
Thanks,
-- Don4

·
3T Cycling
1,237 Posts
Don4 said:
We just bought a 2010 Felt Z2 for my wife, and since she like to have a bag up front for "stuff", we were planning to swap it out the Devox Carbon Road Handlebar that comes with the bike for an alloy one, since the Topeak bag she likes clamps to the handlebar -- either side of the stem. Specifically, we are talking the Topeak TourGuide Handlebar Bag http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/TourGuideHandlebarBag

Digging a little further on the Felt website under Parts, specifically at http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/Parts/Road-and-Tri-Parts/Devox-Carbon-Road-Handlebar.aspx revealed no information regarding the drop, but DID indicate that there are two different versions of this handlebar:

1. Regular (185g)
  2. Clip-on compatible (205g)
I am going to make a SWAG that the one that comes on the 2010 Z2 is the "Clip-on compatible" one, since the listed weight of 205g matches the tech spec listed on the website the Z2 handlebar:

Handlebar: Felt DEVOX UHC-Nano Ultra Hybrid Composite Carbon Fiber Monocoque Bar w/ 3K finish & Ergonomic Drop, Ø31.8mm, 51cm=400mm, 54cm=420mm, 56cm-61cm=440mm, 205 grams (emphasis added).

We need to change the bar anyway, since when fitting her to the bike, the bike shop determined that the 440mm is just too wide for her (the 56cm frame otherwise fits her very well).

So in the final analysis, I guess I have three questions:

1. Is the factory installed Devox handlebar on the 2010 Z2 the reinforced, Clip-on compatible, handlebar?
  2. If YES, would this reinforcement be satisfactory for mounting a small Topeak handlebar bag, where the mounting clamp attaches on either side of the stem?
  3. If NO, what is the measurement of the "drop" on these handlebars, so that we can try to duplicate them without spending a lot of time trying to guess? The shop sort of measured them, and came up with 5-1/2", which would be 137.5 mm, but I didn't take the measurement myself so I'm not sure how accurate it was. The shop is an hour away, I can't get down there until Saturday, and that is when we are hoping to pick the bike up, ready to ride.
Thanks,
-- Don4
The 2010 Felt Devox TE bar used on the Z2 should be fine with the handlebar bag you describe. Again clamping force only needs to be as great as what you can exert with your own hands. The bar has 149mm of drop from center to center in that size.

The new Devox VS bar will have a variety of drop depth from 140mm to 125mm depending on width. Here is a quick shot of one of the first samples getting weighed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGriJwgiek

It is available in a women's friendly 40 and 38cm width option.

Regards,
-SD

·
Born to chase Ducks
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SuperdaveFelt said:
The 2010 Felt Devox TE bar used on the Z2 should be fine with the handlebar bag you describe. Again clamping force only needs to be as great as what you can exert with your own hands. The bar has 149mm of drop from center to center in that size.

The new Devox VS bar will have a variety of drop depth from 140mm to 125mm depending on width. It is available in a women's friendly 40 and 38cm width option.

Regards,
-SD
I though that was probably the case based on our prior conversations regarding seatposts. Appreciate the information!
Regards,
-- D4

·
Registered
16 Posts
Help with Felt Handlebars

Sorry to thread hi-jack, but can't start my own thread yet (noob).

I have a 2010 Z4 58cm which I love the handling and feel. I just picked up a used 2009 Z1R 61cm and trying to get things setup the same. I need to replace the Devox Carbon bar with one that has the same reach as the Z4. The Z4 has a Felt 1.3 bar with 440mm width, 140mm drop, 78mm reach, wing horizontal, and ergo drops. I'd prefer a carbon bar for the Z1R with the same reach, width, and drop if it exists (shorter version of the Devox?) or if not an exact copy of the Z4 bar. Do you know how I could purchase either? Maybe there is a 440mm Devox with a shorter reach than what comes on the 61cm you can get me a part number for? Either that or the part number for the Z4 bar?

Maybe SuperDave can help?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If anyone wants to sell their take off 42cm devox road bars, pm me.

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks SD. Any chance if you know whether there are multiple reaches / drops for the 1.3 440cm. There is a used one on ebay that looks like what is on my Felt z10, but they claim a different reach / drop, but I thought they might just be measuring it wrong. The 140/78 I'm looking for comes off the markings on my bars.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Wow!! A 44cm handlebar on a 56cm frame from a manufacturer!! That sounds so unorthodox!! I had never heard of that before coming from a manufacturer. Have I been out of the loop that long? Usually 58 cm frames and above received them but a 56cm? I thought that it would've came with a 42 cm handlebar from Felt. Are other companies doing this now?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Pm me

1 - 14 of 14 Posts