Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think, a crit in the rain.

Currently I have a set of specialized mondo-sworks mounted up. I usually love them as a crit tire in the dry, but yesterday in the wet they were all over the place, and unfortunately, I was once all over the pavement on my bumm. Now, the crash was my fault for going too fast on a solo bridge attempt, but frequently the rear would cut loose in lines on other corners where other riders had no problems. Hanging the back tire out in corners gets old, fast. I seemed to be cornering on the edge (and felt it plenty of times) far before other riders. I suspect I was sliding around on the hard-center tread compound and never actually getting contact on the shoulders, where the softer rubber is.

I have michelin PR2s in my box of tires, but haven't run them yet. I have a set or two of Maxxis Xenith Hors Categorie tires in the box too, new. I haven't ridden either of these yet, and I suspect they'll both be great race tires, just dunno about wet crit tires.

Now I've ridden plenty of tires, and yes, many of the ride great in the rain, but what about cornering. What would be your vote. I've ridden continental GP3000 before, and no, that's not an option (not that they're great cornering tires anyhow.)

Michelin Pro2 Grip? Any others? This won't be a tire I'll ride often, only when weather.com says showers are likely for a crit. Also, tubulars are out because if it's raining, then I'm sure NOT going to be riding my carbon wheels (imagine not having any brakes at all). That puts me on the ksyriums or some other clincher set from the closet.

All suggestions welcome.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
johnmyster said:
Think, a crit in the rain.

Currently I have a set of specialized mondo-sworks mounted up. I usually love them as a crit tire in the dry, but yesterday in the wet they were all over the place, and unfortunately, I was once all over the pavement on my bumm. Now, the crash was my fault for going too fast on a solo bridge attempt, but frequently the rear would cut loose in lines on other corners where other riders had no problems. Hanging the back tire out in corners gets old, fast. I seemed to be cornering on the edge (and felt it plenty of times) far before other riders. I suspect I was sliding around on the hard-center tread compound and never actually getting contact on the shoulders, where the softer rubber is.

I have michelin PR2s in my box of tires, but haven't run them yet. I have a set or two of Maxxis Xenith Hors Categorie tires in the box too, new. I haven't ridden either of these yet, and I suspect they'll both be great race tires, just dunno about wet crit tires.

Now I've ridden plenty of tires, and yes, many of the ride great in the rain, but what about cornering. What would be your vote. I've ridden continental GP3000 before, and no, that's not an option (not that they're great cornering tires anyhow.)

Michelin Pro2 Grip? Any others? This won't be a tire I'll ride often, only when weather.com says showers are likely for a crit. Also, tubulars are out because if it's raining, then I'm sure NOT going to be riding my carbon wheels (imagine not having any brakes at all). That puts me on the ksyriums or some other clincher set from the closet.

All suggestions welcome.
I don't have enough experience with different tires to answer this- especially in the rain, but I thought I saw somebody advertising a racing rain tire in a catalog not too long ago. I've got Specialized All Conditions on now. I've never been confident with them in the rain, but I have noticed recently that they seem (after 1500 miles) to be getting grippier on dry surfaces.

Even if you find something that sticks like glue to wet asphalt you don't want to get too confident. I doubt anyone's tire is going to grip on painted lines, grates, and railroad tracks, and you might not see the leaf debris, sand, or dirt until it's too late- happened to me in January. The tires gripped the leaves, the leaves just didn't grip the road :mad2:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm a big supporter of Veloflex Pave's. Ultra sticky in the dry and good in the wet.

A suggestion though for next time. If it's wet, drop the pressure 10-15 psi from what you normally run. You'll have more compliance to aid traction.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I was 20 psi lower than normal. So you're not telling me anything I don't know.

And as for GP4000s for a race tire, never. That's an expensive, long-distance, somewhat durable tire that happens to be raceable. They roll slow and don't corner well, so they're out as a crit tire. And, I've cut sidewalls on them, so they're not a training tire. Jack of all, master of none. Maybe reasonable for a road racing tire. Maybe reasonable for your weeknight crits. No place for that considering I'm the guy with 5 sets of wheels, primarily so I can run any tire I feel like from day to day, and less because the wheels themselves are and better or worse.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Amen to that. Last year it seemed it always rained during crits-- no trouble with the Paves. Once I rode my other wheels to a race, and I truly regretted it.

wasfast said:
I'm a big supporter of Veloflex Pave's. Ultra sticky in the dry and good in the wet.

A suggestion though for next time. If it's wet, drop the pressure 10-15 psi from what you normally run. You'll have more compliance to aid traction.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Spunout said:
I race and train on Veloflex Pave. Good tire all the time. Brilliant at 95PSI in the rain.

If I had an extremely rough race, I would go to Vittoria Open Pave as they are a bit wider.
I think the Vittorias have better flat protection. I'd be lying if I told you I have never flatted on a Veloflex.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The single downside, as mentioned by Filtersweep, is they're a bit delicate. The soft compound is prone to cuts. That said, they are 180g so you can have some flat issues. The majority of my flats have been cuts that got deep enough to let the tube pop out, needing a boot to get home.

I do use them on my dry bike for all types of riding, thousands of miles per year. Nice tire. Wise cycle buys had the best price that I've found as well. Hi William!

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Vreds

johnmyster said:
Oh, I was 20 psi lower than normal. So you're not telling me anything I don't know.

And as for GP4000s for a race tire, never. That's an expensive, long-distance, somewhat durable tire that happens to be raceable. They roll slow and don't corner well, so they're out as a crit tire. And, I've cut sidewalls on them, so they're not a training tire. Jack of all, master of none. Maybe reasonable for a road racing tire. Maybe reasonable for your weeknight crits. No place for that considering I'm the guy with 5 sets of wheels, primarily so I can run any tire I feel like from day to day, and less because the wheels themselves are and better or worse.
I agree on the Conti GP4000s. I am using them right now and they are pretty darn average. I'll likely reduce them to training tires only.

Another wet performer, along with Veloflex and Vittoria, is the Vredestein Fortezza Tri-comp. I live in the Pacific NW and my winter bike has such tight clearance for fenders that these are one of only a few 23 mm tires that fit without rubbing. I find them to be excellent cornering tires in the rain and I am very confident on them.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,170 Posts
I've found the Bontrager and WTB Sorrano(?) to be pretty sticky. What the bike gods giveth in sticky, they taketh away in wear. The ProRace line is the best I've found for both worlds (wear and performance).

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
Vittoria Diamante Pros; very sticky tires, very soft compound. Feel nice, but the tradeoff is in durability and flat protection (I've got 2 flats in less than 500 miles JRA).

If you have a set of dedicated race wheels, the Diamantes are a very good tire for the price.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So if I narrowed the question down to the following:

Michelin Pro Grip
Vittoria Diamante Pro Rain
Vittoria Open Pave or Corsa EVO (what are the differences in the Corsas?)
Veloflex Pave

Again, I'll probably continue to use something like a pro race, mondo, etc. for road racing and dry crit duties, but throw these on when there's a chance of rain for a weekend crit.

Any thoughts? Does anybody have any experience with the Pro Grip? Tempting at their price...

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
johnmyster said:

Michelin Pro Grip
Veloflex Pave

Again, I'll probably continue to use something like a pro race, mondo, etc. for road racing and dry crit duties, but throw these on when there's a chance of rain for a weekend crit.

Any thoughts? Does anybody have any experience with the Pro Grip? Tempting at their price...
If you've got five sets of wheels why don't you mount a set on each of them then let us know :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
If "delicate" ttires are acceptable for you, consider Conti Supersonic.
They seem to be no more delicate as Veloflex Pave (for me Supersonic looks even slightly more durable) and have absolutely perfect wet grip (sometimes I'm ready to sworn that hold on the wet even better then on dry).

BTW, most of so-called "rain" tires perform in wet even worse then their regular counterparts :mad2: (according to test results, particularly, by tests provided by German Tour magazin about year ago. I may foud overview of these tests in forum archive.

johnmyster said:

Michelin Pro Grip
Veloflex Pave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.