Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
ride-a-holic
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after hernia surgery. I had surgery for a left ingunial hernia last winter., and was off the bike 8 weeks. It really dind't matter that much as it was winter, time for riding was slowing alot. Now I find out I have a right ingunial hernia, surgery will be on the 15th of this month. I tried to put it off but the Doc thinks not a wise idea, He let me race this past weekend but said not to go too hard.
Anyway what I am asking is how long has anyone here been off for a similiar procedure?
It is the middle riding and racing season. I busted my but to be on great shape, 6'2" 166#
9-10% body fat. I dont want to hurt myself but also dont want to be off no more than I have to. Doc says 6 weeks at least noriding at all. Then maybe a little on trainer depending on how I feel, but again saying 8 weeks at least no actual riding on road. He says given my level of fitness I should recover well again. I just do not want to be off the bike that long. Fitness goes away fast when you cant do anything.

·
Pluto
31 Posts
I too had Hernia surgery this spring, early March. I have lost a good deal of weight myself. I am 5'11" and weigh about 162 lbs. I am a bit worried that I too may get another hernia on the other side. I have read that weight loss can cause Hernias. I can certainly relate to what your going through. A few thoughts, first is from what I read there is only a remote chance of "issues" arising from delaying hernia surgery and so you may want to consider purtting off until the off season. However, if I got had surgery I would give my body time to heal prooperly which I was told was at least 3 weeks. Good luck with what ever decision you go with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.