Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a job offer in this city and I wanted to get a idea of how the riding is in this part of the world.Most importantly,how are the winters? I currently live in the Southeast and experience mild winters,where I pretty much get to ride year round comfortably.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

· Registered
518 Posts
There's a lot of great riding around Springfeild. The city is on the Connecticut River, the valley of which runs all the way through Massachusetts and up into Vermont. There are a lot of nice, flat roads in the valley. You can also head into the Berkshire Hills to the west and find a lot of climbing, some of the climbs being pretty long (Rt 9 out of Northampton into Goshen, for example). Lots of good, quiet roads in the hills.

There are quite a few colleges with cycling teams in the area, and cyclists are a regular sight.

As for the winters, they can run the gamut from mild to bitterly cold. Here in new England, you never know what you're in for until it gets here. Last winter was one of the mildest on record, you could ride comfortably on the road all through the winter season. The winter before, however, was cold and snowy, forcing you to find alternative forms of excersize. During such winters you switch to skiing, snow shoeing, join a gym, do roller rides, etc.

Over the past few years, we've been getting more of the cold, snowy winters and fewer of the mild ones.

· Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot guys for the insight.

Looks like I'm going to be staying down South for the time being. Pretty bad when my wife's professional career revolves around my cycling comfort factor.Not all of the Assos Airblock riding clothes in the world would make it tolerable enough for me to ride in your kind of winters!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.