Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I found this used Specialized Allez Sport road bike. It was initially selling it for $675, but I negotiated it down to $475. The previous owner doesn't know the exact model and year the bike is from since it was his dad's. I am pretty new to road biking and was wondering if this was a good price for a used bike. Mainly going to be using this bike for commuting and sometimes longer 20-30 miles rides during the weekend. It seems like it has the Shimano 105 drivetrain and it comes with a pair profile design aero bar. Would this bike be able to ride hills and is this bike worth the price or should I just buy a new $1000 road bike? Also if someone can tell the year of the bike, that would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Should be a serial number on the bike, bottom bracket perhaps. That should help on the year. $675 seems high, but also depends on the year.

my first road bike was a Spec Allez and I paid just over $1100 for 105 components. This was back in late 2000s. It rode well and will do everything you want mentioned in your post. They are great entry level bikes. You could also sell the aero bars online and make a little money off of those.

If you get the serial number and can find the year, you can get an idea of pricing on bicyclebluebook.com. I don’t know how accurate that site is, but at least give an idea.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Just keep in mind, it isn’t worth anything if it isn’t a size you ride comfortably.

Not just how crazed the market still is but I agree with NTT, I’d offer $300.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
it's around 20 years old given the cables coming out of the side and the old school crank interface. I think 9 speed. So yeah 300 bucks is probably an OK deal, average for such a bike. Unknown is how worn the drivetrain is, needing new cassette and chain, so budget another hundred or so for those

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
The middle chainring looks worn. Figure new cassette, chain, middle ring for starters. ....if it fits!

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
The middle chainring looks worn. Figure new cassette, chain, middle ring for starters. ....if it fits!
Actually, now that you mention it, the middle chainring looks like its....steel?
Regardless, I'm seeing a good bit of wear on the cranks and the derailleurs. That and the cheap platform pedals tells me it's more a $300 bike than a $500 bike.

·
Super Moderator
40,832 Posts
Because.....that's about what it's worth???
Why the incredulity display???

The poster was asking how you arrived at your valuation. Given he self-described as not being particularly knowledgeable about road bikes, it's a reasonable question.

Your answer downthread to someone else, where you note some of the bike's negatives (e.g., shit pedals) addresses the question.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,420 Posts
Getting back to the OP (if he's still following this thread), that bike's worth about $300, unless you live some place where people throw too much money at used things (like NYC, SF, Seattle, etc.), in which case, some sucker will eventually pay $600 for it. how much you pay depends more on location than it should, which is why EBay is such a great leveller in the used bike marketplace, despite shipping charges.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts