Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
It looks like a Garmin skinsuit to me, the upper arm is flesh colored so it looks like he has tubes on his lower arms. I would guess that the lump on his back is a transmitter for his earpiece for getting info from the team maybe?

·
448 Posts
Garmin last year started using "cooling bags" on it's riders backs. The idea is being that on the hot days you lose a good amount of watts by over heating so they both ice packs in the jerseys to cool them down so they can ride at their fullest potential. You"ll see that distinctive humps during a lot of their tt's. The tubes I have no clue, maybe an extension of the cooling system. I tried finding that article but searching through an entire year of blog posts on their board is just to much.

·
448 Posts
agm2 said:
Garmin last year started using "cooling bags" on it's riders backs. The idea is being that on the hot days you lose a good amount of watts by over heating so they both ice packs in the jerseys to cool them down so they can ride at their fullest potential. You"ll see that distinctive humps during a lot of their tt's. The tubes I have no clue, maybe an extension of the cooling system. I tried finding that article but searching through an entire year of blog posts on their board is just to much.

Edit- Found a post about using ice vest for warms up, and I also noted that all the riders had aero shaped water bottles, including the picture, I doubt they would need that much water on a 30 minute tt. I'll keep looking for that article, it might take me a while though.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
it's Tommy D - maybe Vaughters installed an air bag in the suit in case/when Danielson overcooks a corner and is about to go down yet again with a season-ending injury...

·
Registered
458 Posts
stevesbike said:
it's Tommy D - maybe Vaughters installed an air bag in the suit in case/when Danielson overcooks a corner and is about to go down yet again with a season-ending injury...

Harsh, but honest. Tommy D isn't having too bad of a tour though.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I noticed that too.

Could it be to create a more aero profile on the upper arms?

I also noticed Hincapie had something weird taped to his helmet strap that went around his neck.

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
agm2 said:
Edit- Found a post about using ice vest for warms up, and I also noted that all the riders had aero shaped water bottles, including the picture, I doubt they would need that much water on a 30 minute tt. I'll keep looking for that article, it might take me a while though.
The watter bottle makes the frame more aero.

I'm not even kidding.

·
Shut up legs!
1,282 Posts
agm2 said:
Frankie Andreau said the waterbottle is most likely empty and is there to act as a fairing to calm the turbulance in the bottom bracket area.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
i dont think thats a hydration set up. there is no port through which to drink. it is mirrored on the other arm, giving the suit a symetrical appearance. it looks like some type of ribbing. my guess is its a soft fairing of some sort in test. the pic before show VdV, and it doesnt look like he has anything under the sleeves.
however, Zabriski seems to have been wearing a similar suit to tommy d:

i thought that would be illegal, too, like camelbaks used to be.

JoelS said:
Hincapie had on a camelback type hydration system. Could be that's what you're seeing there.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
agm2 said:
camelbak, if you look at the end of the TT the hump is all but gone.

the water bottle is usually empty and there for aero benefits only.

they also use the ice packs, the dont drink it just used to keep the body cool.

Chad

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it is a camelbac, maybe the drinking end exits somewhere along the forearm, so as the rider just has to dip his head to drink, thus not upsetting the aerodynamics. Perhaps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts