Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK- I really need some advice. Three shops have looked at my bike with no solutions. I have a clicking ("tick, tick, tick") when I am out of the saddle. It occurs at the bottom of the pedal stroke on both sides of the crank. I have FSA team carbon cranks, Ti bottom bracket, (3 years old), and eggbeater pedals. One shop tightened the pedals and claimed it fixed. Another wrench rode around (in the saddle) and could not hear anything. The last shop took apart the BB, greased faced, and reinserted the BB. They also greased the seat tube and post. My saddle rails were cleaned and tightened. Still, no dice. I am 148 lbs, and do not stressed the cranks that much when out of the saddle. Any ideas? Is it time for a new BB? Any advice would be welcome before I go back to the better of the three shops. Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Ticks are hard to diagnose... If it's happening out of the saddle only, it's probably not the saddle/post....

Are the chain ring bolts tight?

If you remove your front wheel often, make sure the front quick release is tight. I finally found the source of a tick by tightening the front skewer.....

Most ticks sound like they are coming from the BB area but that is not always the source of the problem

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
I agree with Dave. Sounds commonly travel through a frame. Initially, I might rule out the pedal system because (IMO) it's unlikely the same problem would be on both pedals, but I wouldn't rule out the top cap, spacers, stem, or the stem/ bar interface. I once had a tick coming from between the top cap and top of stem. Evidently road vibration/ chatter lossened the center bolt over time.

But assuming the noise is repetitive/ fairly consistent, I would focus on the crankset/ BB - after a quick check of stem and top cap bolts.

· Registered
21,865 Posts
Standard advice

middcrossrx said:
OK- I really need some advice. Three shops have looked at my bike with no solutions. I have a clicking ("tick, tick, tick") when I am out of the saddle. It occurs at the bottom of the pedal stroke on both sides of the crank. I have FSA team carbon cranks, Ti bottom bracket, (3 years old), and eggbeater pedals. One shop tightened the pedals and claimed it fixed. Another wrench rode around (in the saddle) and could not hear anything. The last shop took apart the BB, greased faced, and reinserted the BB. They also greased the seat tube and post. My saddle rails were cleaned and tightened. Still, no dice. I am 148 lbs, and do not stressed the cranks that much when out of the saddle. Any ideas? Is it time for a new BB? Any advice would be welcome before I go back to the better of the three shops. Thanks in advance.
It is fairly common to have clicking noises, but ticks and clicks are very hard to eliminate sometimes. What seems like it is tied to the pedals may be coming from the seat post, etc. Sometimes things like temperature and humidity can affect noises as well. Also, things like the front derailleur cage just hitting the crank, loose bottle cage bolts, or the front derailleur cable sticking out and hitting your shoe can seem like they are clicks but really aren't.

Clicks tied to your pedaling can come from the BB (grease all threads in contact with the frame and BB, all metal to metal contact surfaces, and torque to the recommended settings, which can be quite high), crank bolts (grease threads and washers), the chain ring bolts (take them all out and grease the threads, the faces where they contact the CRs, and the CRs where they contact the crank spider arms), a stiff link in a chain or a burr on one of the "break off" special links used to assemble the chain, the pedals (grease the threads, get some wax etc. on the cleats, grease the bolts into your shoes, squirt some lube into the guts of the pedal machinery if possible), the chain (clean and lube), shoes/cleats (loose cleat nut rattling around in the shoe sole, shoe/cleat interface), cleat bolts, cleats touching pedals, seat post and saddle (grease the post, seat post bolts, saddle rails, and add some oil to where the rails go into the saddle body), bars and stem (grease the stem, stem bolts at both ends, h'bar bolt if quill stem, and h'bar where it goes through the stem, grease/tighten QRs and where the hub axle contacts the frame, tighten cassette lock ring, grease cassette hub body and cassette spacers, grease steerer tube spacers if threadless), replaceable derailleur hangers (remove, clean, grease all parts and threads, reassemble), any other bolt (bottle cages, derailleur clamps, derailleur bolts, shift cable casing stops, etc.).

· What the what???
12,986 Posts
To Kerry's extensive list, I would also suggest you take a look at where the cable housings seat into the cable stops on the frame. I had a faint "tick" there before when out of the saddle and transferring the bike from side to side. Just a thought.

· member at large
120 Posts
Had a tick with an fsa crank, turned out it was the pedal washers. I had tried to tighten the pedals and it did not fix it, but when I took the pedals off and greased the washers and then retightened them, it went away. May be worth a shot.

· eRacer
2,547 Posts
Noises while riding your bike can drive you crazy.
Hard to source if they only occur when pedaling hard.
I spent the last month trying to find the source of a click.
It turned out to be a jumping chain link, but I now have the cleanest, well greased bike with tight components.
I also changed 1 link in my chain and the noise is gone!
GOOD LUCK!

John

· 25yr Houston-Austin MS150
224 Posts
Opus51569 said:
To Kerry's extensive list, I would also suggest you take a look at where the cable housings seat into the cable stops on the frame. I had a faint "tick" there before when out of the saddle and transferring the bike from side to side. Just a thought.
Similar problem here. My ticking was coming from a cable rubbing on my Polar computer's downtube-mounted cadence transmitter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.