Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was in the small chain ring and a lower gear cruising through a small town today and when i had a chance to get up out of the saddle and mash the pedals to get going i heard this loud CLUNK in the drive train. Sounded more from the rear but in the past (last season) it happen on occasion and sounded more from the crank area.

Could the chain, a pin, or a tooth on the cassette or chain ring not be lining up or maybe in this case not lining up on rare occasions.

When it happens (not every ride) i am out of the saddle and am putting quite a load on the drive train. If something was to give at that exact time and the position i am on the bike, it would not be good. I forgot about this happening last year a few times until it happened today.

To help weed out the obvious, for i know its coming, bike was recently and completely gone through at the shop of origin:

To include new chain, cables, bottom bracket, wheel hub service, carbon seat post inspected.

Because it has not happened until today i did not think of asking the shop about this when i was there a few weeks ago.

The bike is a Cervelo R-3.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I suspect that when you got out of the saddle and mashed the pedals, the chain skipped a cog. No big deal. Try to be smoother in your transition from seated to standing.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
It's the sound of your bike telling you to switch to Campagnolo :D

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
To include new chain, cables, bottom bracket, wheel hub service, carbon seat post inspected.
(emphasis added)

99.999% chance* the new chain is skipping on the worn cassette. Moral of the tale, you need a new cassette.

*There is actually a greater percent chance that the old cassette is the issue, than the percent chance cx will post that this question should have gone in a different section.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
makes no sense crit boi but of course you didn't read the post or didn't understand it, was doing it prior to the new chain going on, cassette is not that old / worn

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
makes no sense crit boi but of course you didn't read the post or didn't understand it, was doing it prior to the new chain going on, cassette is not that old / worn
Upon rereading your op and your subsequent replies, I've come to the conclusion that you probably don't have a clue what you're doing and should sell the bike and buy a singlespeed that you'll have a harder time messing up. Or maybe you should simply take up running.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
I wouldn't be quick to snippy at the replies to your question/concern... sounds a skipping issue to me too.

what's the cost of a new cassette $50/$60, its not going to break the bank. Better to replace something that's not working properly than having it slip again and maybe loosing control ending up with a face plant on the pavement.... but hey, maybe you like that sort of thing

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Problem solved, thanks, lesson learned.

Also thanks to Road&Dirt-BAG for wishing bodily harm upon me and big thanks to Pedal Biker, because of you Pedal Biker there are a few less dicckheads in the world, you are one big one!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts