Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
VoodooYeti
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This crosses my mind often as I complain about or thank the wind. What do others consider windy, and am I a wuss.

Of course there is a huge difference in whether it is a head, cross, or tail wind that I am dealing with, but in general...10 mph or more in a head wind and it seems "windy". 15 mph or more in a cross is "windy"....but a tail wind isn't "windy" until 20 mph or so....not to mention I never feel a 5 mph tail or cross wind, but certainly can tell that head wind.

Not that this is a huge issue, I just wonder what others think...and if you had to eliminate one, what would it be. I would get rid of the cross winds. Cruising downhill and getting caught in a 25 mph plus gust of winds is scary in my book.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windy

"Windy" is a pop music song written by Ruthann Friedman and recorded by The Association. Released in 1967, the song reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in July of that year. Later in 1967, an instrumental version by jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery became his biggest Hot 100 hit when it peaked at number forty-four. "Windy" was The Association's second U.S. number-one, following "Cherish" in 1966.

According to rumor, the original lyrics by Ruthann Friedman were about a man, and The Association changed them to be about a woman[1] However, Friedman eventually admitted that it had in fact been written about her dog, who had "stormy eyes" and walked "down the streets of the city, smiling at everybody she sees..."

·
Registered
19 Posts
MB1 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windy

"Windy" is a pop music song written by Ruthann Friedman and recorded by The Association. Released in 1967, the song reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in July of that year. Later in 1967, an instrumental version by jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery became his biggest Hot 100 hit when it peaked at number forty-four. "Windy" was The Association's second U.S. number-one, following "Cherish" in 1966.

According to rumor, the original lyrics by Ruthann Friedman were about a man, and The Association changed them to be about a woman[1] However, Friedman eventually admitted that it had in fact been written about her dog, who had "stormy eyes" and walked "down the streets of the city, smiling at everybody she sees..."
I thought it was "Wendy"?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Windy is the road race I did last April where it was 25 MPH sustained with gusts up to 40 MPH. It was ridiculous. I got dropped in the crosswind gutterball and rode the remainder of the race with one other guy. When going directly into the wind, the two us trading pulls and riding at our limits on flat ground were going about 12 MPH at times. It didn't help that the temp was about 35 F too. By far the most extreme conditions I've ever raced in.

My golden rule of cycling is always have a tailwind on the way home. Riding here in the plains of the upper midwest wind is always a factor. The weatherman's wind speed is rarely reliable. There's a big difference between sustained winds (good "fetch" as the sailors say) and variable winds, the former being much worse. If it's really windy, the strategy for the chosen route changes from having a tailwind on the way home to a route which has crosswinds mostly.

·
Road-kill possum zombie
103 Posts
GearDaddy said:
My golden rule of cycling is always have a tailwind on the way home. Riding here in the plains of the upper midwest wind is always a factor. The weatherman's wind speed is rarely reliable. There's a big difference between sustained winds (good "fetch" as the sailors say) and variable winds, the former being much worse. If it's really windy, the strategy for the chosen route changes from having a tailwind on the way home to a route which has crosswinds mostly.

This is also a golden rule for me. Of course I live at the beach in NC, so the wind is always blowing. Every day this past week, it's been 15-20 mph. Like GearDaddy said, I just make sure that I will have a tail wind on the way home.

Mike

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
so why is it that when I ride 15 or 20 into the wind....it seems to shift 180 just about the time I turn to head back?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
It all depends on how far/long you've ridden. When you've ridden 10 miles or so into a 20 mph headwind, it's pretty windy. After 30 miles it's really windy. At 50 miles it's a hurricane. At 60 miles it's, "OMFG! Is this EVER going to end? I just wanna die!"

Other conditions can be windy, too. After riding a hilly double century in 88 degree temps with high humidity, that last 5 miles going into a 8 mph wind is..."This is the worst fugging wind I've ever seen in my life!"

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
so why is it that when I ride 15 or 20 into the wind....it seems to shift 180 just about the time I turn to head back?
Because you're barn sour, no doubt in my mind! Think about about it: 20 mph tail wind with your 35 mph average speed high-tailing it home = 15 mph headwind. Just slow down on the way home and you'll enjoy a nice little tailwind. :D .

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
wim said:
Because you're barn sour, no doubt in my mind! Think about about it: 20 mph tail wind with your 35 mph average speed high-tailing it home = 15 mph headwind. Just slow down on the way home and you'll enjoy a nice little tailwind. :D .
yeah that's gotta be it....lol

I was riding on Saturday, it was so windy that I actually had to keep shifting down to go down a hill....it was brutal....15 steady from the SSW for 20 miles...I got tired of it and turned to come home....it eased up for a bit and I should have known they were saving me for something....BUT I over-shot the route home opted for another 13 miles heading north...then the wind picked up for real...18 to 24......with 40 some miles behind me already...........finished up with a few over 50...I was tired and hungry

·
Registered
332 Posts
Windy is when all you realize you're drifting slowly to a 45 degree lean as you go 30 downhill.

Thankfully it was on my 2 mile commute, and not on a ride many miles out.

Nothing is less fun and more aggravating than a headwind as you go up a hill. It can get windy here, and when it takes more energy to go walking speed on your bike than actually walking uphill... well, then you just keep riding and swearing.

·
Coffee Lover
297 Posts
Windy - a few weeks ago I was going downhill into the wind on a huge bridge at a 90+ cadence and managing only 12.5 mph.

Today in West Texas we had 22 mph sustained winds with huge gusts. I think I've been in stronger sustained winds, but the gusts were killers. I can't wait to go back and ride at home. I'll never complain about the coastal breeze/wind again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
West Texas...West

Albuquerque in March-May...20-30 mph sustained...gusts into the 60's-70's off the west mesa...broke my winshield wiper linkage once driving south on I-25...blew right across the windshield...never had a chance...

Riding downhill on a 4-5% from Sedillo Hill in 39x25...after doing the rollers on 217 counter clockwise...in the drops...headed east back into ABQ...absolutely trying to stay on the white line or get flattened by an F-450...totally pegged on the HRM...maybe doing 40-45rpm's...sandblasted teeth the whole way...oh yeah...I'm "drafting" behind my buddy...made it to Kelly's though...IPA or three and rings and fries...made it all worthwhile!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.