Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought, up until this last week, that I was in pretty good condition. I did my first century two weeks ago and felt good at the end of it. I took the following day off then started preparing for the last big race of the season we have around here. It's two weeks away, now.

Maybe I hit it too hard but even so I've had plenty of rest days due to nearly incessant rain which, because of the low temps that have been accompanying these rains, have kept me off my bike.

Friday I did a 42mile route that included an 8mile, 2500ft climb. I've done this a bunch of times before but on Friday, with my HR sitting right at my LT, I thought I was going to pass out. I always time that climb and on Friday I was 4minutes off my usual time.

Today, Sunday, I decided to go for a recovery type ride. I chose a route that is mostly level. On the level stretches it isn't hard for me to maintain 20mph, but I could not do that today. I had ridden 8 miles prior to getting to that level stretch so my trouble wasn't the warm up.

I sure would like to be ready for the last big race series of our season but the way I feel right now I don't know how I'll manage.

Have I over trained? Does this happen to others?

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Have I over trained?
- maybe. could be. hard to say for sure. depends on your definition of overtraining, and the specifics of your situaiton. like, how many rain days? over what period of time? did you get _any_ riding in? any other physical activity?

Does this happen to others?
- yep.

FWIW, I don't do many centuries. Ok, I haven't done 100 miles since sometime in the early 80's. But even after an 85 miler, I'll take more than one day off.

· Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
How many is "plenty"? I doubt that you're actually overtrained. If anything, you just lost a little fitness during your rest days. How cold was that rain?

I'd say just try to be consistent with your riding up until the race- do some long, slower base rides, some not-so-long rides w/intervals, and one or two long base rides with some intervals mixed in.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the 7 days running from 7/20 through 7/26, I missed 4 days of riding due to rain. Normally, I would ride at least 5 of those days so I missed an extra 2 days of riding.

I live pretty far north and on the coast and when it rains here the temps, at least this summer, have been dropping down close to 60 degrees. That's too cold for me, especially for my feet even with two pair of socks. I was all set to head out today but then it started raining so no ride today.

This is still a mystery to me. There have been other times when I've taken several days off with no adverse effects. I had planned to go out and do some speed work today as part of my prep for the upcoming race series and to see if my energy would come back. That's going to have to wait. Of course, I now have plenty of time to check out trainers.

BTW, I haven't changed eating, sleeping, or any other routines.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Weight Loss?

Grabbing at straws here, maybe, but still haven't figured this out and maybe never will.

I'm 5'8" and have been weighing in between 146 and 148 most of the summer, down from 152 winter weight. After the century and the following week of some hard riding, I noticed that my weight dropped to 143. I've always thought that my best weight would be just shy of 145lbs so I didn't think much of the loss (and didn't note it on my calendar) and attributed it to the burn off of some excess fat I carry around my gut. At the time I thought it was a good thing, but maybe not so much. I'm back to 146 which seems to be the weight my body likes the best.

I went out last evening and did some interval work. Had no problems getting the legs moving and the heart pumping so as far as I can tell the issue has resovled itself.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dehydration? Starts with a weight loss of about 2%. One of the symptoms is fatigue and weakness.

I didn't have any other symptoms of dehydration, and there are quite a few of them. I wasn't thirsty, didn't lose my appetite, I was just plum tuckered out.

At my weight, a 2% weight loss would be about 3 lbs.

Still not sure but I do have my strength back now and I'm being very careful to drink before, during, and after any rides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.