Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember a year ago? When all the Lance Coolaide drinking, Disco-Freds were yapping about what is the matter with T-Mobile? How does that crow taste? Disco's 1st guy can only manage 19th in a TT?

2 stage wins, Yellow jersey, 6 riders in the top 14....seems like nothing is wrong with the guys in Pink.....except for the doctor in Spain thing, but in cycling the memory is short

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Nothing...

BigFatOne said:
Remember a year ago? When all the Lance Coolaide drinking, Disco-Freds were yapping about what is the matter with T-Mobile? How does that crow taste? Disco's 1st guy can only manage 19th in a TT?

2 stage wins, Yellow jersey, 6 riders in the top 14....seems like nothing is wrong with the guys in Pink.....except for the doctor in Spain thing, but in cycling the memory is short
Nothing, up until today they had the yellow jersey for one day, and were leading the team classification. They don't have a known team leader, and went into this race knowing this as such. It's what some in the business of other professional sports would call a "rebuilding" year for their Tour aspirations, and up until today, Hincapie, and PS were very much in the hunt, they just didn't come through very well on the TT today. Sucks for them, but can't win every year in a row, just the last 7.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
magnolialover said:
Nothing, up until today they had the yellow jersey for one day, and were leading the team classification. They don't have a known team leader, and went into this race knowing this as such. It's what some in the business of other professional sports would call a "rebuilding" year for their Tour aspirations, and up until today, Hincapie, and PS were very much in the hunt, they just didn't come through very well on the TT today. Sucks for them, but can't win every year in a row, just the last 7.
T-mobile had a very, very good day. They also had a good performance by Kessler before. However, this is not going to erase years of mismanagement of some of the best talent - such as Sevilla, Savoldelli, Botero and even to some degree Vino and Ullrich. One could argue they didn't quite live up to the expectations. Things need to go pretty bad at Discovery for a couple of years before we can compare the two.

G

·
It's good to be King. We've been spoiled by LA wins and the predictability of the race due to Postal/Disco's control of the peleton. I was feeling discouraged at first after today's stage, but this race is wide open, just as we all expected (even though we didn't know what that really meant). It's still along way to Paris, and hopefully Disco will add a stage win or something else to their palmarès for this years Tour.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i think the race is still wide open, the second itt after the mtn stages will really show who is fit. i think bruyneel is biding time, why waste his boys defending the yellow now when it has already shown to be a very fast and hard race so far? let t-mobile fight it off. disco still has enough folks in striking distance and a strong enough team to be a contender for stages and a place on the podium.

i just don't understand all the lance haters on here who also disparage disco/usps but slave over some shite euro-trash team like fdj! why not be happy for the boys in blue?

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
brad nicholson said:
i think the race is still wide open, the second itt after the mtn stages will really show who is fit. i think bruyneel is biding time, why waste his boys defending the yellow now when it has already shown to be a very fast and hard race so far? let t-mobile fight it off. disco still has enough folks in striking distance and a strong enough team to be a contender for stages and a place on the podium.
The race is not wide open, specially for disco. they have very little chance for yellow. None of their boys can gain time on the climbs and common sense says that they will lose similar time on the upcoming similar itt.

fc

·
Registered
599 Posts
IMO, Discovery is right on track to put Salvodelli on the podium and as a whole they performed pretty much as I'd expected.

Perhaps George was slightly off pace but his climbing preparations,particularly the weight loss could explain a bit of him being off his usual TT form. Still,I doubt if he's more than 30 seconds from where he'd planned to be.

Paolo was spot on the mark, with a very minimal time given up to Landis and now I'm thinking him to be a legitimate contender for the overall right to the final TT.

I fully expect Landis to have one bad day and Discovery will for the first time give Salvodelli their full support and protection rather than the B-squad treatment he's had for his last two Giros. The team is largely healthy & intact and they'll drive the pace up as per the Lance years.

It ain't over. Not by a long shot.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
caterham said:
IMO, Discovery is right on track to put Salvodelli on the podium and as a whole they performed pretty much as I'd expected.

Perhaps George was slightly off pace but his climbing preparations,particularly the weight loss could explain a bit of him being off his usual TT form. Still,I doubt if he's more than 30 seconds from where he'd planned to be.

Paolo was spot on the mark, with a very minimal time given up to Landis and now I'm thinking him to be a legitimate contender for the overall right to the final TT.

I fully expect Landis to have one bad day and Discovery will for the first time give Salvodelli their full support and protection rather than the B-squad treatment he's had for his last two Giros. The team is largely healthy & intact and they'll drive the pace up as per the Lance years.

It ain't over. Not by a long shot.
Hincapie is only 30 sec off from where he was supposed to be? So it was a plan all along for Hincapie to lose 2min on time trial - maybe another 2 min on the last ITT - and what? make up 4-5 min on the mountains? Come on...

Savoldelli is not "right on track" to the podium either. It would take something really special from him to pull it off.

The race is not over by any means, but to spin today as "everything as planned" for team Discovery is a gynormous exagerration. In this field there are better climbers than Savoldelli, Hincapie or Popo, and they gained time in time trials. It would take an extraordinary change of form to see the situation reverse itself for any of the Disco guys. They (in particularly Savoldelli) are still in the running, but more for 4-10th place, rather than podium.

·
Banned
86 Posts
There seem to be 2 types of of people here, those that only follow Discovery and think all other teams are lazy, use bad equipment, treat riders poorly, etc. Any bad day is really just Johan playing possum.

the other group of people just hate Discovery

It will be interesting to see how Salvo reacts, the guy is one savy rider. I also think Hincape just had a bad day, he should be better then that.

The guy who everyone should be talking about is Patrik Sinkewitz, super talented and uses the best doctor. I see him on the podium

·
Registered
22 Posts
The only excuse I have heard about maybe what happened to George was that it sounds like the wind kicked up a bit later in the day. So the last guys out had a bit more to deal with. But that is just an excuse, of course.
That certainly doesn't explain Levi, either.....

Maybe the spain thing has caused certain people to stop taking their scheduled vitamins.

·
Registered
839 Posts
If Hincapie and Calista Flockhart had a baby it would be so thin it would be invisible.

George sucked today because he looks completely emaciated. He looks now like what he should look like at the END of the race, not the first week. I think he took the "getting into climbing shape" too seriously. I think his goose is cooked.

Levi is over too.

That leaves Floyd to represent.

·
Breakin' Stuff
439 Posts
Just curious.... Why does everyone seem so wrapped up in the Discovery Team? Is it Hincapie & the fact that he used to support Lance? Is it the fact that they have an American sponsor?

I'm not trying to be crass. but I just don't get it.... I was looking forward to the TDF this year thinking that for once there would be a fairly level playing field & all teams would basically be equal, but it seems like there is this big Pro-American contingent that has latched onto Discovery Team as the Patriotic favorite or something. It also seems that OLN has picked it up as well. All the "Lance On" stuff as well as all the fluff pieces on Johan, etc... all seem to end up talking about how cool Discovery is & how cool their Trek bikes are & blah, blah, blah.....

Once again, I'm not trying to be a D*ck or anything, but curious as to why it suddenly seems like Discovery is America's team. It seems like US riders are fairly evenly spread across the field at the TDF. Am I missing something really obvious? HELP!

·
170 Posts
Flyingsquid said:
Just curious.... Why does everyone seem so wrapped up in the Discovery Team? Is it Hincapie & the fact that he used to support Lance? Is it the fact that they have an American sponsor?
When the same team wins 7 tours in a row, you can't be surprised when they're the focus at the next year's tour. Plus, it's hard for us Americans to focus/empathize with foreign teams like FdJ, etc. Why are the french so in love with Voeckler?

Anyways, I don't think we're as wrapped up in the Discovery team as you think--but the announcers and the media need something to talk about, and Discovery's waning dominance is good stuff.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,208 Posts
Flyingsquid said:
Just curious.... Is it the fact that they have an American sponsor?
Maybe. But so what. Is it wrong for American fans to want to see an American team/rider win? I don't think so.

I, for one, would LOVE to see an all American podium... w/ Floyd in the top spot. The all American thing ain't gonna happen, but I'm still holding out for Floyd. I'd also like to see Disco do well because, well, because they're my "home team".

·
Registered
599 Posts
55x11 said:
Hincapie is only 30 sec off from where he was supposed to be? So it was a plan all along for Hincapie to lose 2min on time trial - maybe another 2 min on the last ITT - and what? make up 4-5 min on the mountains? Come on...
55x11 said:
Savoldelli is not "right on track" to the podium either. It would take something really special from him to pull it off... In this field there are better climbers than Savoldelli, Hincapie or Popo, and they gained time in time trials. It would take an extraordinary change of form to see the situation reverse itself for any of the Disco guys. They (in particularly Savoldelli) are still in the running, but more for 4-10th place, rather than podium.

IMO, Hincape was never going to be Discovery's GC leader.He's already got his yellow jersey souvenier , the team sponsors and the stars & stripes flag wavers got their thrill for a time and after this TT he'll be relegated to his usual position as a super domestique.

Popovitch doesn't count,never did. In spite of the promises made when he signed on with Discovery, he was only ever hired on to be a useful domestique so that he couldn't be another team's threat as he matured as a rider.He's not there yet anyway.

I think you underestimate Salvodelli. He was on the injured list for several years and still has something to prove, is smart, tenacious and unlike the majority of "contenders" has a first rate, and largely complete team to back it up.He's in a far better position teamwise than say,Kloden or Sastre or Evans or Menchov or Moreau or Karpets. In spite of the quality of T-Mobile and CSC, those teams are now too thin to control the race to their advantage.Leipheimer, Cunego,Simoni,Garzelli and Mayo,et al are already all but off the screen in terms of podium hopes, barring a miracle.
Paolo is only 1:10 behind Landis.Neither is particularly great at the very steep HC's but both have past proven that they can chug out the sustained moderately steep type of slopes that predominate in this year's key mountain stages. The difference could be had in a single stage if Landis or his team faulters.

Do I believe that Salvodelli can take the overall on sheer skill,stamina and talent alone? Absolutely not, however he's well rounded, relatively experienced and still has all the goods to work with.
So who then is in the best position to take on Landis and Phonak? It appears that it's Floyd's race to loose now and Discovery has the know-how and can & will take advantage if the possibilty presents itself.
I suspect that there'll be a blip on the part of the swiss squad sometime before Paris and I certainly wouldn't at all be shocked if Salvodelli was standing on the top step in a couple weeks time.

55x11 said:
The race is not over by any means, but to spin today as "everything as planned" for team Discovery is a gynormous exagerration.
Personally, as I'd like nothing better than for Bruyneel's whole sick organisation to fall flat on it's collective face, I 'd hardly consider my opinion as Disco-boy"spin".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.