Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean we have a socio-political system ripe now for another Punk Rock movement and all they can churn out is a bunch of Tattoed Kiddie Pop. If I see another guy in studs and a mohawk singing about how some girldumped him or how he doesn't fit in in frickin school
(even though punk looking kids are viewed as cool now in most schools) I'm gonna go postal. Where's all the frickin anger these days?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
atpjunkie said:
I mean we have a socio-political system ripe now for another Punk Rock movement and all they can churn out is a bunch of Tattoed Kiddie Pop. If I see another guy in studs and a mohawk singing about how some girldumped him or how he doesn't fit in in frickin school
(even though punk looking kids are viewed as cool now in most schools) I'm gonna go postal. Where's all the frickin anger these days?
You can't go home again ATP.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't wanna

but if I could find any pissed off musical kids I'd dress them up like 'normal kids' (since the punk look has been consumerized and sanitized) and have em write some angry stuff and manage them. I mean in my era we had our bad politicians, things kinda sucked, fake wars and their threats, and we were mad about it.
I can see why it stopped during the Clinton years cause things were kinda 'nice'. not a real lot to get the hackles up.
but now? do kids not care anymore? I mean what better time than now. Hell I don't care what it sounds like, just give me some friggin REAL angst

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
atpjunkie said:
but if I could find any pissed off musical kids I'd dress them up like 'normal kids' (since the punk look has been consumerized and sanitized) and have em write some angry stuff and manage them. I mean in my era we had our bad politicians, things kinda sucked, fake wars and their threats, and we were mad about it.
I can see why it stopped during the Clinton years cause things were kinda 'nice'. not a real lot to get the hackles up.
but now? do kids not care anymore? I mean what better time than now. Hell I don't care what it sounds like, just give me some friggin REAL angst
funny...my 10 year old is just now starting to be concious of his "look". He refuses to wear a coat or hat (not cool). He wears the same 3 T-shirts and usually a hoodie if it's cold. He also likes to put colored hairspray into his hair once in a while.

Back when I was into punk I used to wear really preppy clothes. I never really adopted the punk look--I'd be at a Black Flag show in madras shorts and a t-shirt. Punks must have thought I was some kinda poser.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
good point...i was having this convo with my gf the other day. i was annoyed at the lack of anti-war songs after i listened to some animals records. but we've come up with a few..

devendra banhart has a great anti-war song on his new record called "heard somebody say"
clap your hands and say yeah had one on their record called "details of the war"
rilo kiley has "it's a hit" that seems to take shots at the prez
you might argue that wolf parade's "dear sons and daughters of hungry ghosts" is obliquely political
given the context, the decemberists' old timey war tunes seem applicable
the exit have one on "home for an island" i can't remember which track though
bloc party gets slightly political at times

as much as i've lost complete interest, it was nice to see green day's american idiot do so well with the kids...

i agree with you though. we've had our namby pamby post-punk get in touch with our feelings period. many "harder" bands still hold a bit of it though. in fla we've had quite a few over the past years (i hate myself, true north, twelve hour turn), but of course they hardly make a splash outside of the local scene. people need to get upset again. to borrow from doctorow, let's not be miniaturists any longer.

i wonder if we can blame the majors....i always look to blame the labels...;) :D

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
atpjunkie said:
yer gettin old my friend.

hey, i just discovered, after getting my head back into playing, that there is a great "underground" scene in memphis. once again. we're spending friday night at a hotel downtown to see this great show with like 10 bands for $8 at the door. i've checked each band out on their myspace or other site, with a few sample songs, and you got yer angst and sh*t right there.

edit: the stuff is either speed metal, cookie monster, or melodic post-punk/post-hardcore. ok by me.

edit edit: i'm still hardcore, but have a job and a kid and a mortgage and a car etc etc.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
yer gettin old my friend.

hey, i just discovered, after getting my head back into playing, that there is a great "underground" scene in memphis. once again. we're spending friday night at a hotel downtown to see this great show with like 10 bands for $8 at the door. i've checked each band out on their myspace or other site, with a few sample songs, and you got yer angst and sh*t right there.

edit: the stuff is either speed metal, cookie monster, or melodic post-punk/post-hardcore. ok by me.
if you are in memphis, you must see lucero sometime. they're country boys that grew up listening to late 90s punk rock (jawbreaker, etc). we love them down here in fla. i have a vague recollection of seeing them several times due to a budweiser memory block.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
My kid's fave band now is Green Day...not real punk, but they have a little fire in em...wouldn't want him listening to anything too much angrier at his age anyway. I've played him a few Clash tunes and he seems to like that OK though.

Holiday--Green Day

Hear the sound of the falling rain
Coming down like an armageddon flame (Hey!)
The shame, the ones who died without a name

Hear the dogs howling out of key
To a hymn called Faith and Misery (Hey!)
And bleed, the company who lost the war today

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
This is the dawning of the rest of our lives
On holiday

Hear the drum pounding out of time
Another protestor has crossed the line (Hey!)
To find, the money's on the other side

Can I get another Amen (Amen!)
There's a flag wrapped around a score of men (Hey!)
A gag, A plastic bag on a monument

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies
This is the dawning of the rest of our lives
On holiday

take five

The representative from California has the floor...
Zieg Heil to the president gasman,
Bombs away is your punishment!
Pulverize the Eiffel tower,
who criticize your governments!
Bang bang goes the broken glass and,
Kill all the [email protected] that don't agree!
Trials by fires, setting fires,
Is not a way that's meant for me!
Just cause,
Just cause, because we’re outlaws yeah!

I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies,
This is the dawning of the rest of our lives,
I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies,
This is the dawning of the rest of our lives...

This is our lives on holiday!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
ampastoral said:
if you are in memphis, you must see lucero sometime. they're country boys that grew up listening to late 90s punk rock (jawbreaker, etc). we love them down here in fla. i have a vague recollection of seeing them several times due to a budweiser memory block.
I think a lot of the old punks are now into alt-country as well.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
prep thing in SF Bay Area

among punk skaters in the early 80's was 'cool'. Plaid Shorts and an Izod, Chucks was standard issue. I used to have shots of me skating all punked but in scary prep attire.
If you'd have been out here you would have fit right in.

you can blame the labels as they were the ones that signed bands that fit the bill without the rhetoric. Blame Clearchannel as well.

it's why I want a band without the 'look'. The look is poser now. So I want a group that rebels in it's normalcy, 'our attitude is in our music not our dress' stealth punk. That's what I'm gonna call the movement.

yeah nothing but look now. hell the girls I used to run with could kick Good Charlottes A$$

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
atpjunkie said:
yeah nothing but look now. hell the girls I used to run with could kick Good Charlottes A$$
Ever been in one of those "Hot Topic" chain stores? They seem to be in every mall around here. Come get your corporate approved goth/punk wear kiddies.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Ever been in one of those "Hot Topic" chain stores? They seem to be in every mall around here. Come get your corporate approved goth/punk wear kiddies.
gotta love the "mallternative" look. with pre-approved outfits, you too can mope around the food court in style.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
It's still there in the underground, and in other underground movements and most of the time it's a different anger. Most of the kids back then were grooving to plastic pop anyway, wich was a good thing to get all worked up about as punk rockers.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crass

ruled. "Pay no more than ....

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
atpjunkie said:
ruled. "Pay no more than ....
They said that we were trash
But the name is Crass, not Clash
They can stuff their punk credentials
Caus' it's them that take the cash

;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
outrage fatigue. media saturation. short attention spans. general feelings of distrust and apathy. too much bandwidth, not enough specificity. complacency. self-interest. overmedication. lack of parenting. overprotection. overexposure. underappreciation. boredom. peer pressure. sangfroid. ennui. schadenfreude. the increasingly overwhelming sense that those who have been in control of our destiny have only their own agendas at stake and that all we stand to inherit is one vast f*cked-up disaster that we just don't feel inclined to deal with right now.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
my eyes are getting all misty with nostalgia ;)

rogger said:
They said that we were trash
But the name is Crass, not Clash
They can stuff their punk credentials
Caus' it's them that take the cash

;)

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
botto said:
my eyes are getting all misty with nostalgia ;)
I'm file-sharing it right now. :eek:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My conspiracy theory...

The powers that be don't want the masses to think critically, so they emasculated public education, and apathy is the desired result.

That said, probably every older generation has complained about the younger generation since the beginning of time.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well personally I think the industry

likes to sell the look and attitude but since they are big business love to strip it of all its anger and anti establishment vibe. that way the kids think they are rebelling but they ain't.
No, as far as getting older I didn't start looking down on the next Gens music until late.
When everything you hear sounds like sanitized 80's music I can't help it.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts