Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody bought a bike on line from England and ship to USA. More specifically buying a bike from Chain Reaction.

Did you have to pay duty taxes? How much?
How was the package? did it arrive in good condition?
Did it arrive to your house or you had to go pick up to the Post Office?

Thank you very much in advance for your input.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
It wasn't a bike I ordered but:

Yes
A lot (as a percentage) but I can't remember exactly.
Fine
Yes
Neither. DHL. They didn't use the US mail.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Think about how the internets will service your bike when it needs work. I still haven't figured out how that works. :rolleyes:

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
Think about how the internets will service your bike when it needs work. I still haven't figured out how that works. :rolleyes:
Nowadays you can watch a YouTube video to learn how to do anything on a bike provided you can afford the tools.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
What do you do if the frame cracks, or the wheels or shifters die?
Components bought overseas aren't warrantied in the USA. Same for frames.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't seen a shop that refuses to work for bikes bought somewhere else yet. I do most of my repairs anyways.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I didn't buy a complete bike, but I did buy a Colnago frame from Maestro this Spring. It did get stuck at customs. I got a call from them and they arranged some agent, or something -- it wasn't clear what was going on -- I just wanted the damn frame. So the UPS guy shows up with it and said I need to write a check to Mike Iforgetwho for $152. The frame was around $2700, I think. Whatever the exact numbers were, it wasn't a round 5% or 8%, etc. Still a lot cheaper than the $3800 places like R&A charge for it.

Frankly, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a bike from a UK shop. I buy tons of stuff from Ribble. Tons of people buy bikes from Bikes Direct -- yes, it's in the U.S., but the same idea. Bike shops shouldn't care where you buy your bike if you come in for maintenance. If they don't treat you well, then find another bike shop. Frame cracks? Wheels or shifters die? Seriously ... do you know anyone who has had that happen? Yeah, maybe your cousin's, neighbor's uncle -- but its not a very common thing. If the wheels out of true, that's a $30 problem solved at your LBS if you can't do it yourself. If it doesn't work out of the box, I'm sure the UK shop will make it right. Otherwise, who cares about a warranty? Not even on my list of things I consider when I buy a bike.

You might want to do a site search on Chain Reaction for any complaints. I bought some shoes from them once and they came within a week.

What are you looking at?

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I know, when I moved to california I had to drive back to Arizona every time I needed something done. Really annoying. Oh wait, my bad, I headed to the local shop and had it done there.
Hope that helps.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
I haven't seen a shop that refuses to work for bikes bought somewhere else yet. I do most of my repairs anyways.
Service, no problem really. OP might get a little attitude but no big deal. See post #6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts

This.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
What do you do if the frame cracks, or the wheels or shifters die?
Components bought overseas aren't warrantied in the USA. Same for frames.

And even if it does have a warranty, think about the shipping cost to England and back if they want you to send it in for warranty coverage.

To reply to PMF's post #9, I have known people who had to send their bike back because of a cracked frame. After all, do you really think they will just take your word that the frame is cracked and send you a new one without seeing it?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Simple. PDFs from manufacturers and Youtube videos. This assumes one has some basic tools like chain whip, cassette remover, torque wrench, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm hex keys/sockets. I've never had a bike in a shop in over 20 years. Don't trust silly kids who work at bike shops.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
yea, plus bikes from the UK are designed to ride on the wrong side of the road

LOL! Interestingly, when I rented a bike over there, the brakes were reversed - front right, rear left.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
I know, when I moved to california I had to drive back to Arizona every time I needed something done. Really annoying. Oh wait, my bad, I headed to the local shop and had it done there.
Hope that helps.
The place my Dad got his bike closed around 1979. So apparently he's been crossing his fingers for 37 years knowing that if something happens he won't be able to have anyone fix it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Isn't Chain Reaction in Australia?

For what it's worth, I've had great experiences from many UK retailers as well as Chain Reaction. For the items that I've purchased, I've never paid any additional fees.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts