Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a bike out there that you have to have but cannot find due to any reason at all Mine is a 3Rensho Super Record. I've seen a few on eBay but not willing to send someone I do not know $2k or more so they can not send me a bike, add to that the eBay finds were significantly flawed in some way. I told my fiance if (when?) I do find the machine I will probably stop buying bikes (not bloody likely). Anyway what is your Holy (bicycle) Grail? Are you likely to find it? By the way I've already assembled the components for my 3Rensho ....Suntour Superbe Pro!!!!! just need that frame

·
dropped!
485 Posts
good topic. this is always changing. for a while, i thought it was a custom mondonico, but i bought one, and i'm still searching e-bay for deals on other bikes. don't get me wrong, i love the mondonico- a lot!

i was looking a a serotta the other day and almost bid, but i just wanted a frame, and not a whole bike. while i really liked the serotta, it wasn't my holy grail. i tend to prefer custom bikes, and one day, i'd love to have a richard sachs. atm, that is my holy grail.

:)

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,124 Posts
My Holy Grail is about the "quest" not the bike. I'll never be satisfied!

Its a curse.

Although that Look is a definite looker......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Masi and De Rosa

I've been fixated on Masi's since a friend showed me in 1971 his Gran Criterium built by Faliero himself in 1969 during a vaction to Italy. I still remember it to this day and he still has the bike! In the last 10 years, Milano and early US one's have gone from affordable $1,000 with full Record, to out the roof so I've given up hope.

Raleigh Team 753, haven't seen on in a while.

Merckx Titane- European distribution only

Bianchi Ti Mega

I've done the Colnago, Gios Torino Super Record, Pinarello, Basso and Merckx bit but regretfully never came close on a De Rosa. Came close a couple of times and the bigger issue is my current warehouses, in-laws, sister and brother in law are maxed out and stuff that I can't have shipped to me in Shanghai.

US- Weigle (see Hickey's beaut), Davidson and Della Santa thank you.

As for 3Rensho, Djudd, this Katana cost me $600 and change about 8 years ago.

There are some other undervalued frames out there but given the massive price appreciation over the last 10-15 years, I will keep looking without disclosure.

Djudd said:
Is there a bike out there that you have to have but cannot find due to any reason at all Mine is a 3Rensho Super Record. I've seen a few on eBay but not willing to send someone I do not know $2k or more so they can not send me a bike, add to that the eBay finds were significantly flawed in some way. I told my fiance if (when?) I do find the machine I will probably stop buying bikes (not bloody likely). Anyway what is your Holy (bicycle) Grail? Are you likely to find it? By the way I've already assembled the components for my 3Rensho ....Suntour Superbe Pro!!!!! just need that frame

·
angel of the morning
2,992 Posts
I've had them all ... most were nice, some were not all that. now I'm just gonna make my own and have it exactly as I want. :cool:

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
That's Easy

It's the bike I used to own. It's the frame I search for on EBAY almost daily. It's the cracked frame I sold 7 years ago and shouldn't have. It's the cracked frame I should have hung on my wall as art

A Colnago Bi-titanio in Art Decor color scheme. Titanium. Twin downtubes. The updated frame with the 'diamond" shaped toptube. Beautiful frame. The earlier frames (with the round toptubes) have a nasty reputation for cracking the twin downtubes. Don't care. I want it.

My frame developed a nasty crack at the seattube/toptube junction. I tried to have it repaired but decided to spend the dollars on a new frame instead. I then sold the cracked frame on EBAY for $500. I fully disclosed the crack. Showed pictures, etc..... Still someone from Australia bought it from me. Amazing.

If I could find another one in my size, below the ridiculous going rate of around $1500 for the frame/fork, I would buy it. My wife would kill me, but I'll risk it. I would then coat the frame in all Campy and a Sella Italia flite saddle in yellow/black. Oh to dream.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
gios torino... not just any blue torino, but it has to be the one with the flat fork crown w/ coin in it!!! (1976 vintage??)

my friend also got ahold of a 70s merckx in this absolutely gorgeous orange color... it has the smoothest curving fork ever. immaculate condition except there was a hairline crack in the drop out, and he ended up selling it (61cm...too big for me); if it came in 56 i'd snatch it up in a second

·
Bikespace member
4,461 Posts
Djudd said:
By the way I've already assembled the components for my 3Rensho ....Suntour Superbe Pro!!!!! just need that frame
you can just send those components to me. my 3rensho could use those parts. :thumbsup: :D :p

i think my "holy grail" bike, currently, is a 50's curly hetchins with experto crede lugset. i've bid on a few over the last several years but never a winner. now they've gotten more and more expensive.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
I'd like a Della Santa, but not with a threaded to threadless adapter... may still give ol' Roland a call and finally pull the trigger one of these days. and a (real) Masi and a 3Rensho

·
Registered
169 Posts
Other than Ebay?

Other than Ebay, does anyone have input as to where to look for your vintage frames/bikes.
Ebay is time efficient, but there must be other sources as well without having to visit all the Goodwills, and garage sales.

I have found bikes I would like to buy, but they always seem to be too big or too small. What is the point of building them if you can't ride them and hear some say "wow, nice bike, where did you get that".

Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wouldn't mind stumbling onto a Mercian Vincitore with Super Record components. That would be sweet. Or maybe a Hetchins Magnum Opus.

My previous Holy Grail was a mid 70's Raleigh Team. I bought SB343 a few years ago and did a full teardown/rebuild on it, including replacing one of the rims that had a significant flat spot. The paint's a bit rough, especially on the toptube, but I decided to stay with the original paint and transfers. The bike came with first-generation Super Record; I've since swapped out the rear derailleur for a later model Super Record. The saddle and pedals aren't period-correct either, but I was going for comfort.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
boneman said:

As for 3Rensho, Djudd, this Katana cost me $600 and change about 8 years ago.

You ever notice when you really, really want something it seems like everyone has it but you ; )...$600 is a real steal in today's world...take care of it

peace

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Y'know, by now I think I've had four or five iterations of the ONE bike I just HAD to have. And they were nice. But as of late I've been much more into functionality and just riding for the sake of it. And it's kind of refreshing. The searching sure is fun, though. The having just didn't bring me the satisfaction I thought I'd have.

·
angel of the morning
2,992 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
a custom Spirito frameset? I'd like to see that
you will :cool:

i'm now accepting orders in advance. with a prompt deposit I could make you one by about 2011 ... start saving :D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.