Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am now getting pretty into racing (first race two months ago) and I am now thinking about working out a training schedule. I am hoping to incorporate hill intervals because I need the work on climbing. I was just hoping I could see some examples of what others do.

Thanks in advance,

-Dan

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Each day:

1. morning commute
2. evening commute
3. martini

It's working pretty well so far.

· extremely biased
874 Posts
get a used powertap, wko+, and the coggen book and you'll be a 3 in no time.

Most people mistake "hill" and "mountain" for the same thing. "Hill" repeats are good for V02 power and "mountains" are good for threshold power or FTP. Raise your FTP to be a better climber..................... 2x20s.

Starnut

· Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
Training schedule changes every week as goals come and go. For example, last week it was:
Monday....55mi loop w/Andrew...................................3.5
Tuesday...2hr ride w/JC + 50min practice crit...............3.25
Wednesday......recovery ride......................................1.5
Thursday..Blue Mounds (78mi) + getting lost = ~90mi..4.75
Friday......4.25hrs, moderate 'base' pace....................4.25
Saturday..Giro d'Grafton crit, 45min + 6x5min intervals.3.1
Total.........................................................................20.35hrs

But since I'm tapering, the next 2 weeks are:
Sunday.....Fox River Grove crit w/steep climb -- ~8 repeats...........0.75
Tuesday...2.5hrs harper ride.......................................................2.25
Thursday..8x2.5min intervals, 2x30s intervals, 1x5min interval.......2
Friday......2.5hrs harper ride at decent pace. Hot, tired.................2.5
Saturday..30min race + warmup, poured rain and shut down race..1.25
Total.........................................................................................8.75hrs

In fall/spring/winter, it's nothing like this, though.

5,758 Posts
By the way, I don't recommend doing the training that I do -- even if you have the time. Experience, previous training, age, and goals all factor into how much you should do. This is my 2nd year of racing, I'm 21, and I'm looking to upgrade more than one category per year. Hopefully, I'll be a cat2 by fall or collegiate season next year.

I highly recommend keeping a training log no matter what "training" you do -- even if it's just to laugh at yourself a year later. Looking at last year's training journal, I chuckle at how serious I thought I was.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Try this

dthomassps said:
So I am now getting pretty into racing (first race two months ago) and I am now thinking about working out a training schedule. I am hoping to incorporate hill intervals because I need the work on climbing. I was just hoping I could see some examples of what others do.
From Basic Training for Roadies by Fred Matheny: here's a 7 hours a week, weekly schedule that works for many riders:

Monday: Rest day with 15 minutes of resistance training.
Tuesday: Ride 1 hour with 3-8 sprints or other short, hard efforts.
Wednesday: Ride 1 hour at a steady, moderate pace.
Thursday: Ride 1 hour including about 20 minutes of any type of hard effort.
Friday: Rest day with 15 minutes of resistance training.
Saturday: Ride 1 hour at an easy pace.
Sunday: Ride 3 hours at a varied pace. Group rides or hilly courses are good choices.

Remember, intensity is one key to this program. If you could ride 200 to 400 miles per week, sheer volume would guarantee a high level of fitness. But you can't.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Kerry Irons and Iliveonnitro, thats exactly what I was looking to see.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Last week:
M Recovery
T Off
W 10x 2.5 min hill repeats (VO2)
T Recovery
F 1.5 hrs, 5 sprints
S Lou Maltese Road Race
S NE Crit Championship

This week
M off
T Recovery
W 8x 3 min intervals
T off
F Recovery
S 5x 1 min
S Highbridge Park MTB race

Also I commute ~45 min each day.

I'm in the middle of my peak of the summer, so its really light on work during the week (what works for me). The rest of the winter/spring you could add two days of intervals in each week.

5,758 Posts
BTW, skip the resistance training and spend that time on the bike. If you really want to lift weights, do it in the winter. A generally good idea is that you can reach most of your potential by training 10hrs/wk. This means intervals, group rides, races, and hard training. Add more time if you throw in mediocre "riding around" rides.

Notice my "riding around" rides are usually over 3hrs and rarely are they easy. Races are short and on weekends when I have more time to train, so I will often throw in VO2max intervals or a long ride to bump up the volume and intensity. Assuming, that is, that I'm not in a stage race/doing my A-races.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.