Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
question is too undefined

bikergirl09 said:
I need to get a new lock but what should I get?
:cool:
Where do you park your bike? For how long? How often? How valuable/attractive is your bike? Do you prefer to carry the lock attached to the bike, or in a bag of some sort that you're carrying anyway?

There are different locks for different uses.

I have a big, heavy U-lock that I use every day, but I never carry it -- it stays on the rack at my commuting destination. On my commuter/rain/errand bike, I carry a medium weight cable lock, used to lock up outside stores, etc. But most of that errand riding is in a fairly sedate suburb. If I ran more errands in a bigger, busier city, I'd probably carry a heavier lock. On my road bike, used for weekend recreational rides, I carry (in the seat bag with the tools, tube, etc.) a light cable lock, used for brief stops at convenience stores and the like.

So it depends.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
None.
I never let my bike get more than 6 feet away from me, unless we're both flying through the air.

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
None.
I never let my bike get more than 6 feet away from me, ....
I might allow 15 feet, because I mainly ride in ritzy suburbs ;) .
More than 15 feet if a riding partner is watching the bikes.

In some urban settings (eg, New York City, parts of San Francisco), even 2 Kryptonite "new york" U-locks might not be enough ...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Get a kryptonite u-lock. Never use a cable or rope type with a separate key lock. Master or key locks are easy to break.

From what everyone been saying lately, the easiest way for your bike to get stolen is leaving it in your car.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Depends on where you ride, where you leave it, how long you leave it there. Sometimes a lightweight cable lock is fine other times even a heavy U Lock is not enough. Also try to park next to nicer bikes or bikes that are less secure than yours.

Here in London anyone with a decent bike uses a heavy U Lock AND a thick cable and that still doesn't work :(

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Since locks only keep honest people honest, I'd recommend you get a lock that provides a gurantee. It's a pain in the butt to fill out the forms and send it all in, but if you're really concerned about the financial impact of your bike being stolen, get a lock that will pay you back if it is stolen while locked up properly with said lock.

·
Registered
797 Posts
i use a cable with a bilt in lock. But then again, I don't think crooks arround here realise that there are valuable bikes. they thik it's all Wally- World stuff not worth taking

·
Banned
203 Posts
Low security light weight lock?

Is there a light weight lock that can be used to protect the bike for a couple of minutes for 7-11/bathroom runs? Last year when I was riding on mostly MUTs people just brought their bikes into the convenience store if they didn't have a lock or a buddy to watch the bikes. Because they sold alot of Gatorade and Power Bars the stores didn't bat an eye. I am riding on the roads more this year and don't know if someone not getting alot of business from riders would appreciate me bringing my bike in their store. I am just looking for something that will stop someone from either grabbing the bike and tossing it in their car or just hopping on and ridding off.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
MB1 said:
Kryptonite New York.
+1 for Kryptonite NY

I actually use 2 Locks.
I use U-Lock for the Frame, and a heavy Cable Lock between the F-R Wheels.
Nothing is perfect, but this has worked so far for short trips to the store in well lighted, populated areas.

View attachment 159775 View attachment 159776

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Streamwood Steve said:
Is there a light weight lock that can be used to protect the bike for a couple of minutes for 7-11/bathroom runs? Last year when I was riding on mostly MUTs people just brought their bikes into the convenience store if they didn't have a lock or a buddy to watch the bikes. Because they sold alot of Gatorade and Power Bars the stores didn't bat an eye. I am riding on the roads more this year and don't know if someone not getting alot of business from riders would appreciate me bringing my bike in their store. I am just looking for something that will stop someone from either grabbing the bike and tossing it in their car or just hopping on and ridding off.
Sure, there are plenty. I use this one in well trafficked areas. http://www.rei.com/product/736398

That lock can be easily cut but...

In an area like in front of 7/11 store society plays a big role in the safety of your bike so hopefully people would notice a creep chopping the lock. And even more hopefully the creep would be intimidated by lots of people around. Sometimes I even just put the bike in the highest gear and string my helmet through the spokes, at least it can't be ridden away quickly.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I carry a small coiled cable lock in my jersey pocket if I think my ride might call for running into a store for a few minutes. Frame tube to paper rack just to ward off an impulse theft for the few minutes exposed. Heavy locking cable when on the bike rack through the hitch safety chain loop. If I need more lock than these, I'm obviously lost in the wrong part of town.

·
Registered
314 Posts
gh1 said:
Krptonite U-lock? You mean the one that can be opened with a straw?
They corrected that a long time ago. Their current models are secure. Just don't buy a used one. :D

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
None as well. I never lock my bike up because it never leaves my side of my sight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use a Kryptonite U lock (not the one with the round key) when I'm volunteering at the shop and sometimes also a thick loop end cable for the rear wheel depending on how many kids are around.

For bar hops or late night rides in the city I use a 5 star guaranteed OnGuard U lock on a rack or pole with the bike hobbled. The thing is heavy but for those rides I'm usually in jeans and carrying some sort of bag.

If I'm on a trail or a longer country ride a medium cable does the job for running into a store or taking a whiz.

Always I try to lock up in plain sight of an entrance if not right at the door.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts