Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of person are you? Do you care? I sit in an "Office Space" style cubeville. Luckily, I have pretty good neighbors, we are all constantly on the phone, and rarely do we talk to or bother each other. Now, DIRECTLY across the cube from me is this dude, that I swear is the little cousin to Milton from Office Space. He is here every now and then, he never looks up or looks at you in the eye, and we have never said more than... 3 words at a time to each other, despite my futile attempts to initiate a conversation.

I don't know why, maybe it was the films we watched in gradeschool about retarded kids or people in wheelchairs, that they are people too, but I try to talk to them like I would anyone else. However, this dude is whack. We will pass in the hall, I will greet him, he will either not respond, or make some unintelligible noise. It is bizarre, I'm wondering how the hell this guy even made it through an interview. He never talks on the phone, and no one ever visits him in his cube. So, here I am, trying to do my part to make him feel socially accepted... and likely Im the first guy he is going to shoot when he goes postal for always bothering him.

Are you the type to try and make people feel comfortable, one to just ignore people if they ignore you, or are you somewhere in between? Just curious.

Anyway, he did get a haircut the other day. I will try and post a pic.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
funknuggets said:
Are you the type to try and make people feel comfortable, one to just ignore people if they ignore you, or are you somewhere in between? Just curious.

Anyway, he did get a haircut the other day. I will try and post a pic.
If people engage with me I engage with them. if they ignore me, I ingore them. I don't really like too many people I work with these days. I used to socialize with some of my cow-irkers a while back, but since I live in Boulder and work in Denver it was kinda pointless. Too far away to hang out and do stuff together.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Similar to BoJo...

Except I always try to include someone if they are really isolated. Ever since grade school I've always had a small group of misfit friends...the overweight girls, the kids with the coke-bottle glasses, and even the poor kids who smelled bad.

Then again, I've always been able to get along well with pretty much anyone.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Nice but not friendly, sociable but not social.

If strangers/work people talk to me or look like they're really expecting interaction, I'll answer back--might even engage in pleasant conversation, smile, etc. I'm actually pretty good at small-talk, having learned over the last 8-9 years from the masters of drawing you out and telling you nothing--the Irish.

But I seldom initiate conversation with strangers or people I don't specifically think of as my friends.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I sit in my little cubicle ...

convinced that the rest of my co-workers are plotting against me.

Nah, but I am not an overly social person at work. I do not talk to others much (not out of dislike, just indifference). There is no one at work that I would consider a friend or someone I would invite over to dinner. I am happy to talk small talk with others, but do not really go out of my way to seek people out, but then again, I have always been that way.

Besides, talking to people would cut into RBR time, and we all know how important that is. :rolleyes:

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Milton Waddams: [talking on the phone] And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Milton Waddams: [talking on the phone] And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...
My hero.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
lousylegs said:
Milton is the Passive-aggressive king, isn't he?

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
My coworkers printed this comic, replaced the name "Scott" with "Nate", and put it on our bulletin board.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
lets_ride said:
Except I always try to include someone if they are really isolated. Ever since grade school I've always had a small group of misfit friends...the overweight girls, the kids with the coke-bottle glasses, and even the poor kids who smelled bad.

Then again, I've always been able to get along well with pretty much anyone.
yes. i've always looked for the misfits in school. i was in between them and the school jocks who could play sports etc.. one of the things i'm sure i did it right in my life, don't know why it's right but anyway.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
i used to be that guy, then i changed jobs and got medicated, and now i'm on the phone all day and the guy people come to with problems. not just job problems. and i mean at work, home, whatever.

:)

/mr. happy go lucky and like that.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
I'm friendly with everyone, but not necessarily sociable. My job is such that I'm usually running around with a semi-scowl on my face (damn users....).

I went out to dinner with friends, and we had invited another woman who had never seen me outside of work. She was surprised at the difference. "Wow "snap" smiles and laughs, she's very funny! So different from work!":eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've changed jobs and cities so much, I have hardly any work-relationships that are very bonded, shall we say. I do still talk to a few people who I got along with quite well, from my last place of employment. The pay was awful, but the people were the best.

This place is growing on me. It takes a while, and it's a very academic environment. People are busy actually working! What a concept. or they could be doing what I'm doing: hitting message forums seeking some form of companionship!

Anyway, I got a lunch time ride in today, and my mood is 10X better than its been this week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts