Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a third bike to use for tri training only on rail trails. The point is to get down in aero for long periods of time and not have to worry about stop lights and traffic. The bike is a nice bike, but essentially a beater. I threw some aero bars on, but do not want to throw too much money into the bike. I want to keep it simple.

Last night while riding on the trail, which is mostly packed dirt and crushed rock, my tire/tube blew. I put on my spare tube, made sure no pinch flats existed, blew it up the rest of the way and as I was putting the wheel back on the bike, it blew again. I took a closer look at the tire, and there was a gaping, shredded hole in the side of it, which leads me to believe this was a tire problem.

The road tire was an original. Though it only had 300 miles on it, it is about 10 years old. My questions are: 1) Might this have just been a case of the tire being old, so when it hit something just right, it blew 2) Might I need cyclocross tires and/or some slime for riding on a trail like this or will a regular road tire that is new do the trick.

Thoughts suggestions?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
psuambassador said:
I recently bought a third bike to use for tri training only on rail trails. The point is to get down in aero for long periods of time and not have to worry about stop lights and traffic. The bike is a nice bike, but essentially a beater. I threw some aero bars on, but do not want to throw too much money into the bike. I want to keep it simple.

Last night while riding on the trail, which is mostly packed dirt and crushed rock, my tire/tube blew. I put on my spare tube, made sure no pinch flats existed, blew it up the rest of the way and as I was putting the wheel back on the bike, it blew again. I took a closer look at the tire, and there was a gaping, shredded hole in the side of it, which leads me to believe this was a tire problem.

The road tire was an original. Though it only had 300 miles on it, it is about 10 years old. My questions are: 1) Might this have just been a case of the tire being old, so when it hit something just right, it blew 2) Might I need cyclocross tires and/or some slime for riding on a trail like this or will a regular road tire that is new do the trick.

Thoughts suggestions?
Around here they use crushed stone a lot for the road edges and some gets up on the pavement. It is quite sharp and I have had a few (maybe two per year) sidewall cuts when using a normal tire (Mich Axial Pro/Pro Race). I started using the Mich Carbon and have not had one cut. - TF

1 - 2 of 2 Posts