Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of reviews based on functionality, but my question is which lasts longer (ie more durable, giving more mileage/use before needing replacement).

Does one have to replace batteries or service either one and what are the approximate and respective costs?

Thanks a watt.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The head unit on my PT goes through batteries pretty quickly (change them every 2 to 4 months), but I bought a lot online cheap so it's not a big deal. I've never used an SRM, but I'm not very comfortable with anything with a rechargeable battery as the battery performance often degrades over time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Considering you can buy 3 new built Powertap wheels for the price of the so-called inexpensive New Gossamer crank version SRM. SRMs are awesome. Accurate, last forever but are very expensive. You can buy a brand new wireless PT built into a good alum rim for around a grand retail including the head unit. That leaves you 2,000 to buy batteries and get it serviced. :D

Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
dead flag blues said:
SRMs last indefinitely.
Until they break. :D

SRMs are good units, but like I stated, very expensive. Hell, even a good used unit will command 2k.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My SRM Pro was purchased last year used (via RBR classifieds) for $1600. It's broken, one of the chainring mounting ears is cracked. I sent it to SRM, they said it's fine, and it's working perfectly. I bought my 2nd unit for $800 this year.

spinwax said:
Until they break. :D

SRMs are good units, but like I stated, very expensive. Hell, even a good used unit will command 2k.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I should add a few more details, fwiw.

I'm the 3rd owner of my 1st SRM Pro. It was originally used by a pro in Europe, then returned to SRM, who refurbed it and sold it to a juniors racer in Europe, who sold it to me. The thing has a ton of miles on it.

The 2nd SRM Pro that I bought for $800 didn't include the PCV computer, which is ok, I don't need 2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.