Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the general reasons but more specifically, as an example, here in LA, BMC and maybe Time are 2 bike manufacturers that seem to have an aura or are seen as a cut above other bikes like Specialized, Cannondale, etc.

We all know Colnago is way up the ladder and i get that at least the top of the line bikes are made in Italy and are touched by Ernesto (in theory). But is there something other than perception that makes the BMC bikes better or more desirable than say a top of the line Look or Scott for instance?

And, i'm assuming that when you really boil it down to brass tacks, unless one is a pro racer, the cyclist may really not get the full benefit of the finer points of the bike.

Thanks,

Stevo

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm thinking it's the same stuff that makes a ducati more desireable than a kawasaki

or a ferrari over a corvette

the more desireable one isn't necessarily better or faster, but it's rarer and more expensive

·
Folsom City Blues...
3,877 Posts
When they fit nice and comfy...

Peace :cool:

·
Registered
361 Posts
"What makes certain bikes more desirable?"

Purpose built bicycles are more desirable, IMHO. Think Crit, TT, Sportive, Touring, etc., which are designed around a specific philosophy.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
It's a boutique brand thing. Specialized and Cannondale are affected by the same commonality that Trek is. They are seen as not unique enough and therefore not as tailored to a specific ideal- whatever that may be.

Not to say one is better than the other, but pulling up to the group ride on a boutique brand is kinda like saying "I'm serious about riding". Much like shaved legs, it really doesn't say anything meaningful about the engine, but it does have a certain cache.

I ride a BMC and recently ordered a Ridley, so I guess I'm as guilty as anyone for wanting to be "unique". I've stopped by many bike shops during rides that have much more expensive and better performing bikes in stock, but the BMC always seems to attract positive comments. In most places, it's not something you see every day.

I usually tend to buy bikes based on time in the saddle, but my head can be turned by a eye-catching design or an interesting package of features. For instance, I was also looking at Treks (yes, they do make good bikes), Specializeds, Cervelos, and a couple other brands before deciding on the Ridley. Tapered headsets, integrated speed/cadence sensors, vibration damping inserts, sexy graphics and design features... they all had me second-guessing myself and certainly prolonged the process. What it came down to was how the ride fit my intended use and how it made me feel when I was putting it through the paces. The Ridley won in the end, but all of them would have made me all giggly.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I agree with Alaska, I own a Cannondale Supersix 09 and here in the Midwest I get lots of compliments and because not too many cyclist in Kansas owns this model infact I have yet to see one in my neighborhood, The Treks and the Specialized are Dime a Dozen along with the Cannondale with the exception of the SuperSix version. Now with that said Cannondale is still in the same category..... the typical bike. I am definitely going to get one more bike and its going to be my dream bike not to say I will abandon my SuperSix because I think this bike has everything I was looking to get in a high performance bike when I decided to buy it. Very crisp handling, stable at high speeds thansk to the oversized head tube, stiffness on the bottom bracket is phenominal, the lightest and stiffest crank on the planet and comfortable enough for those century rides. 14 lbs on the scale with the fully built Sram red with the DV3KT Reynold Wheels. with all that said I want me a Colnago, no explanation needed. LOLS just so I can say I own one.

Its how I roll

MidwestPlaya

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Bikes are like everything else in this world. Those that spend more time looking at the catalogues, internet, bike shops and anywhere else they push high dollar bikes are often the ones that don't spend nearly enough time in the saddle.

The more time you spend in the saddle, the more training you do, the more exhausted you'll be. You won't have time or energy to worry about fancey bikes.

Every few years at the current pace your bike will be out of fashion. Is it really worth having to update to keep up with the jones?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
For me it's the bikes that are truly incredible to look at like...
Pinarello, Merckx, BMC at the top of the list.

Cannondale, Giant, Specialized, Raleigh, Trek, Kestrel, Scott are nice...but not over the top.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Just because a bike is "boutique" does not make it more expensive than a comparable "big name" bike. Thanks to the outsourcing of components to Asia, the bottom line is pretty similar from one brand to the next. The knowledge and manufacturing base is there, so basically you just need a design that sets you apart (either in performance or aethetics) and a factory than can build it.

I have a very healthy selection of bike brands to choose from locally, so I can test ride a good variety in my price range and see what floats my boat. Then I research them on the internet to see how much people lust after them to validate my decision. :p

What is unique and exotic in one location may not be in another area.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Our innate desire to be better than our competition in order to attract a mate and reproduce which leads to peer pressure, exclusivity and brand value.

Very simple, really. It all starts with biology.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
heathb said:
Bikes are like everything else in this world. Those that spend more time looking at the catalogues, internet, bike shops and anywhere else they push high dollar bikes are often the ones that don't spend nearly enough time in the saddle.

The more time you spend in the saddle, the more training you do, the more exhausted you'll be. You won't have time or energy to worry about fancey bikes.

Every few years at the current pace your bike will be out of fashion. Is it really worth having to update to keep up with the jones?
Painting with a pretty broad brush today, are we?

How much time in the saddle qualifies one as a real cyclist worthy of looking at "fancey" (sic) bikes?

·
9,790 Posts
I lust after bikes that impress *me*. I don't care what anyone else thinks. If I did, would I have been rocking a handlebar bag on my Cinelli?

LOOK and Time because they're French and handmade.

Colnago and DeRosa (excluding Asian-produced) because they're Italian and handmade.

Shamrock, Gunnar, Waterford, Co-Motion, Vanilla, et al because they're American and handmade.

Rocky Mountain because they're Canadian and handmade.

See a trend?

·
Registered
591 Posts
terry b said:
Painting with a pretty broad brush today, are we?

How much time in the saddle qualifies one as a real cyclist worthy of looking at "fancey" (sic) bikes?

AHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH

I was about to ask him the same thing I have over 3K so far this year on my Hard Ass Selle SMP saddle on this Super Six...... Hhhhmmmmm I wonder if I qualify.lols

MidwestPlaya :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's all in the eye of the beer holder. I lust ofter a Moots. Probably not high on most peoples list but I see an old guy cruising every Thursday afternoon and I just love the look of the matte Ti and current graphics.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I definitely appreciate the unique brands (of quality). When i got back into cycling, i ended up with my Scott CR1. At the time, not that common of a brand here in LA (mostly Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, Trek). Honestly, didn't get it because it was less seen locally but it felt the best out of all the ones i test rode. Been very happy with it.

Alaska Mike, - what you wrote above sort of confirms what i expected. I just found it interesting that many down here seem to agree that BMC is that elevated name brand/bike and wasn't quite sure why. For all i know, BMC is as common in, say, Peoria, as Cannondale is here in LA. Maybe Cannondale is the 'oooh' bike back there.

Regardless, rareity has always held its place and cache.

That said, when you get your Ridley, i'll buy your BMC. Thanks! :)

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
stevo4 said:
We all know Colnago is way up the ladder and i get that at least the top of the line bikes are made in Italy and are touched by Ernesto (in theory). But is there something other than perception that makes the BMC bikes better or more desirable than say a top of the line Look or Scott for instance?
Having owned a Colnago, I'd say their place at the top of the ladder is all about marketing their heritage, not about superior ride. Build quality wasn't that great, ride wasn't that great, handling wasn't that great. But boy oh boy was it pretty and Italian.

Perceptions are often wrong.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts