Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Just a Guess...

dlenmn said:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7242007730&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The drop out caught my attention -- forged, with a derailer hanger, and without eyelets. Is the frame anything nice? If so, please bid on it. Otherwise, I will, and I have neither space nor purpose for it.
... But could it be one of these:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=620264#poststop

The 198X Team Miyata appears to have been a Shimano 600 equipped race bike. The lack of eyelets on the frame you referenced, along with the Shimano 600 BB, match the criteria.

- FBB

·
Know It All
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Thanks for the advice -- I've found some more pictures of the Miyata Team (http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005/sept/KeithNLeavitt.htm) and they look like a match. I'm guessing the frame will arrive next week. Then maybe I'll be able to find out for sure.

I'm still not sure what I'll do with it. Maybe I should engage in some arbitrage -- perhaps it would sell for a decent price if I identify it correctly and I make an ebay listing that didn't suck (although the paint job and lack of headset hurt my chances). My econ prof would be proud.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
dlenmn said:
I'm still not sure what I'll do with it. Maybe I should engage in some arbitrage -- perhaps it would sell for a decent price if I identify it correctly and I make an ebay listing that didn't suck (although the paint job and lack of headset hurt my chances). My econ prof would be proud.
I do not think this frame will get you rich. It's a great frame, a wonderful frame, but not such a valuable frame (as far as I know). If it fits you well, I strongly urge you to build it, ride it, love it.

- FBB

·
Know It All
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fbagatelleblack said:
I do not think this frame will get you rich. It's a great frame, a wonderful frame, but not such a valuable frame (as far as I know). If it fits you well, I strongly urge you to build it, ride it, love it.

- FBB
I know it's not going to make me rich, I'm just wondering if it'd sell for more than I bought it for ($5+shipping). But since you feel strongly about it, I'll try to take the advice in your sig. I just wish I had some (good) parts lying around... better get scrounging.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
dlenmn said:
I know it's not going to make me rich, I'm just wondering if it'd sell for more than I bought it for ($5+shipping). But since you feel strongly about it, I'll try to take the advice in your sig. I just wish I had some (good) parts lying around... better get scrounging.
You could get a lot more than $5 plus shipping! Especially if you give it a cool paint job. I did not realize the bar was set so low. I've been in shoes similar to yours a couple times. What I usually do is cruise eBay, craigslist, thrift stores and nashbar.com for many months, looking for parts that match my vision for whatever project I am working on. Then I build the bike, ride it for a while, and sell it on eBay (unless I REALLY love the final product). I have made good profits on every bike I auctioned, but I am not sure if that is because I only build 67 and 68cm frames, and that is an underserved market. Oh... and by "good profits," I mean enough money to cover my costs plus about $3/hr for the work I put into the bike. I guess "good" is a relative term.

It helps that I have a three car garage - so storing tons of bike stuff for long periods of time is not a problem.'

Have fun with it, whatever you end up doing,

FBB

·
Know It All
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fbagatelleblack said:
You could get a lot more than $5 plus shipping! Especially if you give it a cool paint job. I did not realize the bar was set so low. I've been in shoes similar to yours a couple times. What I usually do is cruise eBay, craigslist, thrift stores and nashbar.com for many months, looking for parts that match my vision for whatever project I am working on. Then I build the bike, ride it for a while, and sell it on eBay (unless I REALLY love the final product). I have made good profits on every bike I auctioned, but I am not sure if that is because I only build 67 and 68cm frames, and that is an underserved market. Oh... and by "good profits," I mean enough money to cover my costs plus about $3/hr for the work I put into the bike. I guess "good" is a relative term.

It helps that I have a three car garage - so storing tons of bike stuff for long periods of time is not a problem.'

Have fun with it, whatever you end up doing,

FBB
That sounds much more exciting than simply reselling it -- I can make room for it somehow. Anyhow, does anyone know what type of headset this would take? (JIS or ISO) I'm guessing the latter. Do I have to break out the calipers to be sure?

·
Know It All
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The frame arrived today. Nothing is obviously wrong with it, and the paint is in better shape than I expected, but I don't like the color, so it'll have to go anyway. The serial number is IS513786. Does that mean anything to anyone? (I'm guessing that 86 is the year). The steering tube has "Tange.5.I" and a 'J' and 'S' in a circle stamped on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.