Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took the plunge and bought Shimano winter boots and want to switch my winter/rain road bike over to MTB pedals. Which MTB pedal would you recommend for road? PBK is having some good sales right now. BTW my other bike has speedplay zeros.

Thanks

·
Pusher of Pedals
194 Posts
Time Aliums. Which look a lot like the Quartzes, but have been around a lot longer and weigh 200 grams more. If that matters. I have them on my 2 road bikes and my CX. It doesn't hurt that they're relatively inexpensive, also.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Use speedplays, since you have them on your other bike. I know some ppls that use speedplay on the road bike, and they like them.

I use TIME mtb pedals of one fashion or another on all my bikes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which eggbeater? Which Candy? Time intrigues me. I see votes for time ATAC Alumi and Time ATAC Carbon. Opposite ends of the price range. For some reason I am not interested in Frogs. No votes for Shimano, not enough cachet?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
logroll said:
Which eggbeater? Which Candy? Time intrigues me. I see votes for time ATAC Alumi and Time ATAC Carbon. Opposite ends of the price range. For some reason I am not interested in Frogs. No votes for Shimano, not enough cachet?
I use Shimano pedals; been perfectly happy w/ them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
logroll said:
Candy C or SL should be fine

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
The crank bros pedals are nice. I especially like that the cleats work with any of their pedals.

So I can ride in whatever shoes I feel like wearing that day, without a pedal swap.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have aliums on the road bike and atac 1st gen on the mtb. It was nice onlyneeding one set of shoes, but as I get more competitive in the hills I need something lighter, so going road specific this week (speedplay x2).

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
IMO, anything not SPD.

I like any of the Crank bro offerings by line, but some of the cheaper models are, well, cheap.

If you like the speedplay free float feel, Frogs are great. They're what I use when I need a treaded shoe. If it's only for occasional use, they are rather more expensive than other choices.

"Platform" is irrelevant if your shoes are sufficiently stiff. If you want a shoe with some forefoot flex for the sake of walkability, think about a pedal with some platform.

Really no bad choices among the rest - though I do despise spd. Maybe that's just me.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
I have the cheapest Candy on my MTB (has the plastic body)

I started with the super cheapo Smarty on my MTB....

Looks like Crank Brothers recently revamped the Eggbeater & Candy lineup..... so may be a good time to get an older model at a discount.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts