Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding my dads old 1970's Schwinn ( looks like this) which finally died on me tonight, both derailers and a rear wheel all went at once, it was ridiculous. I am in the market for a bike which will have a similar ride, maybe a really cheap Schwinn or Bianchi. Any suggestions on a good fit, my budget is $600. Thanks!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks sweet! I'm also going to add that this bike is for commuting in Minneapolis, i love the dropped handlebars and the sporty feel of bikes like this, but it needs to be comfortable enough that the ride wont kill me. I've heard good things about the bianchi Volpe but I don't know where to get one used. Thanks!!

· Registered
100 Posts
Something like the Motobecane Fantom CX would make a great commuter. It also has rear rack mounts for your stuff. The CrMo Cross Fork and slightly larger tires give you the ability to shortcut on some rougher terrain while still having the speed for the open road. The Fantom frame is light and sturdy and can be converted to a MB later if you want.

$549
CrMo FORK, a Cross-specific model with a 1.125" steerer and front fender mounts
Note: Fork is black or bodycolor (NoChoice)

Truvativ Compact CRANKSET Gives you 95% of the gear range of a heavier triple while being lighter than a double crankset

REAR RACK MOUNTS make this the perfect all purpose commuter or cross-town bike

The components are carefully chosen to withstand the rigors of cyclocross or your daily commute. The TruVativ Compact Cranks are perfectly geared for almost any wicked course or cross-town latte run with 36/50T chainrings and sealed BEARING bottom bracket.

A Motobecane Fantom CX is an incredibly versatile bicycle. Nearly as effective off-road as a mountain bike and way more fun. Put smooth-tread tires on it and it makes a great road bike. Put lights and fenders on it and ride it to and from work or to and from Yellowstone. You can also attach a rear rack to the rear rack mounts AND a fender to the front fork.

· Registered
100 Posts
According to their sizing chart, I would say that the 58 is probably the right size for you based on your height. That being said, If your proportions are "outside of the norm" IE really long legs and short torso or the opposite, then i would take that into consideration. What size is your Schwinn and does it properly fit you?

bikesdirect sizing chart said:
(the following measurements are for most typical road bikes with straight cross bars/top tubes
- please refer to the model-specific geometry prior to making a decision)

48cm = standover 27" fits most riders 4'11" to 5'3"
50cm = standover 28" fits most riders 5'3" to 5'4"
52cm = standover 29" fits most riders 5'4" to 5'6"
54cm = standover 30" fits most riders 5'7" to 5'9"
56cm = standover 31" fits most riders 5'9" to 5'11"
58cm = standover 32" fits most riders 5'11" to 6'1"
60cm = standover 32.5" fits most riders 6'1" to 6'3"
62cm = standover 33.5" fits most riders 6'3" to 6'4"
64cm = standover 34.5" fits most riders 6'4" and up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.