Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's safe to believe that he wants to continue racing when the suspension ends in September of this year but where do you think he'll head? Obviously he's going to have to sign with a non-Protour team and I'd assume he'll choose one in Europe and try to get a few races in before the end of the year and then put all of his eggs on trying to secure his team a spot in the Giro or Vuelta in 2007? He must be pretty well rested too ;-) What do you all think?

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
At this point..

BAi9302010 said:
I guess it's safe to believe that he wants to continue racing when the suspension ends in September of this year but where do you think he'll head? Obviously he's going to have to sign with a non-Protour team and I'd assume he'll choose one in Europe and try to get a few races in before the end of the year and then put all of his eggs on trying to secure his team a spot in the Giro or Vuelta in 2007? He must be pretty well rested too ;-) What do you all think?
At this point, I think he's going to take what he can get. He'll be extremely lucky to get half of the paycheck that he got before, but a team will pick him up. He's a proven performer, albeit under suspicion after his banning. Probably a decent 2nd tier team will pick him up. Don't know who. It will be hard for a non ProTour team though to get a bid in ProTour events, since most of the larger teams will be there. It will also be hard I think for a D2 (or whatever they're called these days) team to get a wildcard spot in the grand tours as well, since there are larger teams with a lot more money trying to get in as well, and normally, if you perform well at some bigger races before the GTs, you can get your team in, but seeing as how the ProTour is there now, it'll be hard for a smaller team to get into those Spring races, and so on and so forth. We'll have to wait and see how he races when he's not doping. That'll be the big question. I point to VDB as an example. He was kicking everyone around the classics for a couple of years, got busted for doping a few times here and there, and has never been the same (short version of his story I know). We'll see.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
true, but - regardless of whether TH "really" doped -- VDB's training ethic and mental toughness isn't on the same league as Tyler's... whoever gets him will be very lucky. Maybe he'll hook up with one of the Spanish Pro Conti teams and go for a crazy Vuelta upset to "prove" something. Even a podium would be impressive, at this point.

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
Professional Continental

Tyler will probably find a ride for the 07 season, and if he's lucky, it will be with a european Professional Continental team. With a Professional Continental team, he still has a shot at riding some of the bigger races (including GT's) as a wildcard spot.

The problem is, any of those teams that have the money for a contract for him (even with a big cut), probably have Pro Tour aspirations. If so, they don't want a rider with a Pro Tour ban on their squad. So their goes Unibet and maybe Barloworld.

The second challenge will be the fact that many Pro Conti teams draw largely from their home nation. There are some exceptions, but it will be another challenge he will face.

Looking at the current teams, the most likely candidates might be Agritubel or maybe Acqua e Sapone or Selle Italia. Big enough teams that ride some of the bigger races, but not too nationally focused. Communidad Valenciana could be a long shot, but I bet they are waiting to maybe pick up Heras (a return to his former Kelme team director?).

I'm not sure if he would want to ride for one of the domestice Pro teams. Seems like Health Net and Navigators are both a little too far away from the big show to be of interest to him. Then again, beggars can't be choosers and a ride with them might last longer than one with a euro team.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
He's 35 now, so maybe he'll retire? Can't imagine he'll want to kick around the lesser teams, and now that the GT's are out of the PRO Tour they may be able to decline his entry.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ultimobici said:
He's 35 now, so maybe he'll retire? Can't imagine he'll want to kick around the lesser teams, and now that the GT's are out of the PRO Tour they may be able to decline his entry.

Says on the front page of his website that he can't wait to return to racing. Selle Italia looks like it could be a good team for him since they almost always have a Giro ride but who knows. Maybe he'll even try to get a ride with Amore e Vita if he really wants to show he's clean but that's definitely a looong shot.

·
Girl, ride me.
69 Posts
Yup, he just made it.

My coach was saying Tyler would try and get on the Worlds team. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Good news for TH...

erik99 said:
Yup, he just made it.

My coach was saying Tyler would try and get on the Worlds team. Good luck with that.
Looks like old TH can ride for a protour team, that's good for him.

As far as making the World's team, ehh, probably not. They'll normally take the guys with the most UCI points (not always the best choice in my opinion), and he'll only have been back racing since September, chances are good, he won't have enough points to get onto the team. That being said though, there is a certain lack of depth from the US when it comes to riding World's at the end of the year. So there is always an outside chance they'll take him on that team, and he'll be fresh, only having been racing for under a month at that point in time.

Any bettors out there on what team picks him up? Will he be back with Phonak bossing Floyd around? Or somewhere else?

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
Proven performer?

yes, but under what circumstances? MAYBE we'll find out in the future...

magnolialover said:
At this point, I think he's going to take what he can get. He'll be extremely lucky to get half of the paycheck that he got before, but a team will pick him up. He's a proven performer, albeit under suspicion after his banning. Probably a decent 2nd tier team will pick him up. Don't know who. It will be hard for a non ProTour team though to get a bid in ProTour events, since most of the larger teams will be there. It will also be hard I think for a D2 (or whatever they're called these days) team to get a wildcard spot in the grand tours as well, since there are larger teams with a lot more money trying to get in as well, and normally, if you perform well at some bigger races before the GTs, you can get your team in, but seeing as how the ProTour is there now, it'll be hard for a smaller team to get into those Spring races, and so on and so forth. We'll have to wait and see how he races when he's not doping. That'll be the big question. I point to VDB as an example. He was kicking everyone around the classics for a couple of years, got busted for doping a few times here and there, and has never been the same (short version of his story I know). We'll see.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
As far as I know Amore e Vita only takes repentant dopers so I don't think they are an option.

I suggest he start with all the teams that have given VdB a tryout.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tyler..the new KOM 2007

Tyler: Hello, can I speak to Ree-shard please?
Ree-shard: Oui...
Tyler: I have a few questions for you...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts