Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am currently in the market for a new frame as my Pinarello Dogma has failed. It isn't covered under warranty so I am looking at a new purchase.

Now, I have done some shopping and I have currently narrowed my choices down to...

Cannondale six13
Cervelo Team Soloist
Cervelo R3

I have looked at other brands and crossed them off as below

Trek - Non replaceable derailleur hanger
Cinelli - Non replaceable derailleur hanger
Time - too expensive
Look - warned about them from an ex-bike shop employee
Orbea - read some reviews where people thought they were nothing special
Felt - Told I would be disappointed after riding a Dogma
Bianchi - Heavy

At this stage I have test ridden nothing, I have done a lot of reading and research as well as speaking to other people who cycle. I am looking at spending about $3,500 AUD, so about $2,300 USD. Does anyone have other brands that I should consider for a replacment frame? Or why I should reconsider those that I have crossed off?

Thanks in advance

James

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
What happened to the Dogma??

I had a LOOK that I was happy with. What did this "ex-bike shop employee" say about LOOK?

You have given no information about your riding style, preferences, dislikes, constraints other than price, so I'm going to just throw in Cyfac. Impeccable quality and customer service, very exclusive, beautiful workmanship, and if you go custom they can tune the ride to your preferences. Cyfac likes reactive handling characteristic, and comfort.

http://www.veloeuropa.com/

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The crack in the Pinarello "just developed" as far as I know, I noticied it at the begining of March, but it may have been there before hand. There is no specific event that I can link to the crack. It was a second hand purchase, so I had no warranty with it, Pinarello offered me a new frame at half price, but as one of the cracks is in the weld, and they wouldn't stand behind their product, I don't want another Pinarello.

My riding style is a lot of k's with some racing thrown in. I do a lot of group riding, and some solo. I cover about 10,000km/year at this stage, but that seems to be going up every year. Most of my riding is on Sydney roads which aren't the smoothest. I also do some cycling holidays each year in country Australia.

The advice on the Look was, I suppose you would call it his gut feel. He had nothing specific. The other catch, is I have been offered a LOOK 481 for a good price, but it is in only one size, 56cm which I think will fit me. I don't honestly know at this stage. It is also unlikely that I could get a test ride on it. This makes me cautious as well.

I am not sold on a full carbon bike. I am open to anything, but it has to be available in Australia, from what I can see this rules out Cyfac, but I may be wrong on that.

Thanks

James

· Registered
2,601 Posts
unijimmy said:
The crack in the Pinarello "just developed" as far as I know, I noticied it at the begining of March, but it may have been there before hand. There is no specific event that I can link to the crack. It was a second hand purchase, so I had no warranty with it, Pinarello offered me a new frame at half price, but as one of the cracks is in the weld, and they wouldn't stand behind their product, I don't want another Pinarello.
I understand that you're probably a bit upset about the Dogma. However, it was secondhand. They owed you absolutely nothing, not even if your frame spontaneously self-combusted. I think extending courtesy by offering you a frame for half the price is pretty good all considering.

· Registered
650 Posts

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
unijimmy said:
The advice on the Look was, I suppose you would call it his gut feel. He had nothing specific. The other catch, is I have been offered a LOOK 481 for a good price, but it is in only one size, 56cm which I think will fit me. I don't honestly know at this stage. It is also unlikely that I could get a test ride on it. This makes me cautious as well.

I am not sold on a full carbon bike. I am open to anything, but it has to be available in Australia, from what I can see this rules out Cyfac, but I may be wrong on that.

Thanks

James
I have never heard anything negative about LOOK's quality. I would ignore Mr. Gut Feeling's advice.

Cyfac has a small distribution, and they may be able to work something out with you. Drop Velo Europa a note to see if they can work something out. For what it's worth, I have a Cyfac NERV which is alu with carbon rear triangle, and I love it. Very reactive like I said, and very comfortable. Finish is impeccable, and you get to specify what paint job you want.

The last Paris-Brest-Paris randonneur event was won by a guy riding the exact same frame, if you are worried about comfort.

· Registered
122 Posts
I would look into the R3, Scott, Orca and the Look 585. I ride an Orbea Orca and i am very happy with the bike. Don't listen to what other people say about their bikes, take one out for a test ride if possible and find out for yourself. Everyone is different in weight, size, skill, and use of a bike. I would even think of taking up Pinarello on their half off deal and ride an awesome bike or sell it and have more money to spend on a better frame.

· Registered
311 Posts
i spent a few days on a Ridley and sold my Six13.

best bike I've ridden and you dont see them everyday

$1800 frame/fork 5yr warranty, Excalibur is their siffest frame as well, built for the big Belgium riders and their horrid riding conditions

my friend owns a road bike shop, so I had access to test rides on many top bikes and Ridley was my choice without hesitation after the test rides

· Registered
1,513 Posts
Orbea Opal...

I've got an Orbea Opal that I love. It's stiff, yet very comfortable. I like the taller head tube and the big weaved carbon. It's simply beautiful. I went with the Opal becaus I'm a bigger guy at 190, so went with a stiffer frame. If I was about 150, I'd probably went with the Orca, I hear they are super comfortable. PLUS, lifetime warranty!!!!

· Registered
122 Posts
A friend of mine got an Opal a few weeks ago and can't stop talking about how great the bike feels especially when riding fast. I have noticed just like the Orca last year was slowly creeping up in numbers now the Opal are slowly popping up everywhere. I am very happy with the Orca and could never get rid of it. I am thinking of getting another bike (because i can) and will rather spend more money for a new bike than sell the Orca to get my new bike.

· Registered
178 Posts
specialized

specialized makes good frames as well. their tarmac and roubaix models have both seen great reviews. the tarmac is a little sharper (designed with crits in mind) while the roubaix is all day comfortable. and don't read comfortable as being a lazy slugish bike, the roubaix is just as raceable as the tarmac when properly equipt.

good luck

· Registered
30 Posts
I bought a Cinelli mecano for the rider I sponsor. Very stiff, drop dead good looking.
A very sensible consideration would be a Koga (although I don't know if they're available in your country). Very well built, 10yrs warranty.

· naranjito
785 Posts
divve said:
I understand that you're probably a bit upset about the Dogma. However, it was secondhand. They owed you absolutely nothing, not even if your frame spontaneously self-combusted. I think extending courtesy by offering you a frame for half the price is pretty good all considering.
my thoughts exactly! it's not that they're not standing behind their product - they're simply standing behind the terms of their guarantee, which like most, probably has the words 'original owner' in there several times. if i were offered a dogma for half price, there'd be no way i wouldn't take them up on that!!!

· Registered
33 Posts
unijimmy said:
Hi

I am currently in the market for a new frame as my Pinarello Dogma has failed. It isn't covered under warranty so I am looking at a new purchase.

Now, I have done some shopping and I have currently narrowed my choices down to...

Cannondale six13
Cervelo Team Soloist
Cervelo R3

Time - too expensive
Bianchi - Heavy

At this stage I have test ridden nothing, I have done a lot of reading and research as well as speaking to other people who cycle. I am looking at spending about $3,500 AUD, so about $2,300 USD. Does anyone have other brands that I should consider for a replacment frame? Or why I should reconsider those that I have crossed off?

Thanks in advance

James
Hi James, how about a BMC SLT01 Team Machine frame?

· Registered
9 Posts
Have You Considered Going Italian?

unijimmy said:
Hi

Cannondale six13
Cervelo Team Soloist
Cervelo R3

Time - too expensive
Bianchi - Heavy

Thanks in advance

James
Have you considered ROI out of Italy? You can get their bikes here now in the USA.

Check it out: http://www.roibikeusa.com

It may be what you are looking for in new frame. :)

· Registered
5 Posts
Cervelo R3 tops then all for most

I have a Lemond Buenos Aires all steel frame. It is a buttery smooth ride that is beautiful for long recreational rides. I have been in the hunt for a carbon upgrade. My desires were to get the bottom bracket rigidity often associated with carbon frames for climbs and sprints, benefit from the lighter nature of carbon frames, and hopefully pay no price for the stiffness inherent in carbon and needed in certain areas of the frame.

I demoed the Look 585 and Cervelo 2.5, both of which have lugged carbon frame design. They were different, though had similar restrictions. They both were good to very good at climbing and quick acceleration. The R2.5 was a bit smoother of a ride, as I found the Look to be very harsh. Kind of what I surmised most of the high performance carbon bikes to be: frames that offer a premium in performance and are relatively unconcerned about the comfort sacrifice. If I were a professional rider, I assume I would make a similar concession. I am not. Another odd similarity amongst them which I do not experience in my LeMond was the loosey-goosey feel of the down tube when moving the handlebars side by side or climbing.

Then I demoed the Cervelo R3. Wow. Phenomenally rigid in the bottom bracket, very stable in the down tube, super light, and best of all remarkably comfortable. If I was to give my all steel LeMond a 9 for ride comfort, I would give the R3 an 8-8.5. (by the way I would give the Look 585 a 4 and R2.5 a 5, maybe 5.5). All this on an under 2lb bike. Though I have not riden a solid monoque frame like the Pinarello F:13, Trek, Scott, or other, structurally, I doubt they would match the comfort or structural strength or rigidity. The only concession is for a likely aerodynamic sacrifice, though this would likely only apply to me on flat long races. Won't be doing those any time soon.

There have been a lot of frame design and material variations plunked on the market in the last 5 years. This one is a difference maker.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.