Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok,

Third ride and I have to say it's very uncomfortable on my butt .... uncomfortable pain about 7 on a scale of 10. So, I keep stopping about every 10 miles and making tiny adjustments to my saddle and it's gets a little better, but not much. I've tried pointing the front a little down, moving it back a bit, forward a bit; can't get comfortable.

The thing I've realized is the majority of the pressure seems to be on that bottom of the pelvis bone area right in the middle of your legs. According to this picture it's called the "Pubic Symphysis of Pelvis" bone. The front of the seat is putting pressure on this area, but moving it down a little didn't help.

Edit: My shorts are Capo Forma; cost about $115.00 with LBS club name and logos on them. I got to buy them at cost for $75.00 because I joined the club, but thought they were good shorts.

http://www.innerbody.com/image/skelfov.html

I am thinking buy a new Saddle, but having just gotten into the sport about 60 miles this week also thinking maybe it just takes time to get used to riding. When you buy a seat do you notice the difference right away and do you try them in the store? I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks on the wrong seat.

Suggestions / Comments; where do you feel the pressure / pain when you ride?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
You need to be sitting on the flat part of the seat, not the nose. Your but WILL be sore for quite some time. Many here call it "noob ass" as it does take a while for that pain to go away. After 200+ miles, re-evaluate if the saddle is right for you.

·
RoadBikeRider
1,053 Posts
When you are riding try sliding around a little and see what feels best. Try to get your sit bones centered in the largest flattest widest part of the saddle. A fairly level saddle seems to work best for many people. After you have figured that out try making small adjustments to move the saddle in the right postion under your butt. I have never experienced much pain from any saddle but do find some saddles more comfortable than others. Good luck and don't give up. You will find the right setting/ saddle eventually. If you find a saddle you love consider buying a spare one just in case they quit making them.

·
Too Old to Run...
233 Posts
For me I have found that two things make just about any saddle tolerable:

1. I like to have the saddle nose up just a bit so it doesn't allow my weight to slide forward and put too much pressure on the sensitive parts. This also help keep my butt on the flat part of the seat where the weight should be.

2. I make it a point to get out of the saddle often - even on hills that could be easily ridden in the saddle. This gives the vitals necessary blood flow and allows your butt to take a rest. The next time you ride and you find yourself on a small hill, shift up two or three gears and stand up in the saddle. You'll find that you won't loose any speed and your butt will feel better at the end of the ride.

But as Peanya said, you will be sore, that's a part of cycling. But don't worry it doesn't last forever - just seems like it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.