Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to road biking and just got my first bike a few months ago.

1990 Cannondale Criterium 3.0 7speed w/downtube shifters.

I purchased SHIMANO SORA STI SHIFTERS 8X3 ST3300 to do a conversion.
I know someone that will do it for cheap if i provide the parts. He saw the shifers and confirmed he could do it.

So what parts do i need?

1) Shifers (check!)
2) Downtube Cable stops (Check!)
3?
4?

I dont understand how these things work so im not sure the cables i need. I assume i need another cable to go from the downtube stops to the shifters... do i need another cable from shifters to the V-brakes also? Its confusing sorry. I hope to know by 5pm cuz i got a LBS i can hit up after work (gonna ride my bike there since i commuted to work).

Please be specific in the part names so that i dont look like an idiot going into the LBS :p

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Now that i think about it... i can ask these questions at the LBS but im kinda excited and want to go in there with some sort of knowledge.

-Adam

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
You'll need a new rear wheel or cassette body/hub to accomodate the 8 speed drivetrain. You'll also need a new cassette and most likely a chain. Depending on the derailleur, you might also need a new one too. Personally, I'd stick with the down tube on that bike.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
The stumbling block to this conversion is that you have an aluminum frame with 126mm rear dropout spacing and 8,9,10 speed drivetrains require 130m spacing. If it were a steel frame you could spread the dropouts to 130mm's, but with alu or CF, you can't.

All things considered, I'd use the bike 'as is' with a plan to eventually upgrade to a new bike.

EDIT: There is a section in the link below that offers an option for those with alu/ CF frames:
8 Of 9 On 7
If your 126 mm frame is aluminum, carbon fiber or held together by glue, you probably shouldn't try to spread it. That still doesn't mean that you're stuck with 7-speeds!

Any 7-speed Shimano Hyperglide Freehub will actually work with 8 sprockets, without any modification! What you need to do is to use 8 of the sprockets from a 9-speed cassette, with the 9-speed spacers.

To make this work, you'll also need to use a 9-speed chain and shifters. Your old 7-speed derailer should work OK if it isn't too badly worn. The limit stops on the derailer will cause the useless 9th position on the shifters to be locked out, so this will work as a perfectly normal 8-speed rig.

Source:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
7 to 8 is when things went from 126 to 130 and fw to cassette... so check your spacing and rear hub. you just might have gotten yourself on that snowball ride to replacing the entire drivetrain (and possibly the frame). the dude that will do it for cheap- having seen the bike- ought to be able to tell you what you need

1 - 5 of 5 Posts