Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I road for years and then took a long break. I've been back into it for about a year now and am buying a new bike (alum./carbon, full ultegra, etc.). I currently have a steel Giant with traditional clip/strap pedals and of course I will be switching with the new bike. Any recommendations on pedals for someone who is used to traditional clip/strap pedals? I would probably favor some that are easy to get in and out of. I don't want to spend more than $150, but want the pedals to be at the same level as the rest of the bike. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

·
trying to HTFU...
1,875 Posts
Lipton said:
I road for years and then took a long break. I've been back into it for about a year now and am buying a new bike (alum./carbon, full ultegra, etc.). I currently have a steel Giant with traditional clip/strap pedals and of course I will be switching with the new bike. Any recommendations on pedals for someone who is used to traditional clip/strap pedals? I would probably favor some that are easy to get in and out of. I don't want to spend more than $150, but want the pedals to be at the same level as the rest of the bike. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
if you're not worried about weight, and you want full ultegra, i can recommend the
ultegra spd-sl pedals(pd-6610); they are reasonably light, easy to get into/out of
and the cleats are inexpensive. the cleats are also easy to walk in, although i
don't recommend walking in any cleats. search the forums a bit more for pedal
recommendations, there are a bunch in your price range. don't forget to budget
for decent shoes - i just bought the nike altea2, light, stiff, around $150. if you don't
plan on walking around(like starbucks, or whatever) get the lightest stiffest shoe
you can afford, the difference in efficiency compared to a 'softer' shoe is quite
dramatic.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Clipless pedals.

Welcome back to the great sports activity of road cycling! I still ride road clips in my 1980 Gios Torino. I like to keep up with my traditional and original road racing roots. On my other bikes I have the Wellgo Mg (Mg9) road pedals, for about $35 the pair- check out e-bay-, and weight- 300grams, just 40-50 grams heavier than most other "famous brand" pedal systems, but 2-3 times cheaper. These pedals are durable and efficient. I have out done (with my Columbus steel bikes or the carbon frame bike) many other road warriors in the flats or the mountains, half my age (I am 46 y/o) with their fancy and overpriced clipless versions. I do not believe that all the extra options in tension and degrees of rotation make any significant pedaling efficiency difference to justify their outragoeus prices (unless you want to look like the pro's and help pay their salary...). For some reason I want to drink tea right now...
Lipton said:

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
You may as well ask whose dog is best. :)

It also depends on your priorities - is weight most important? Degree and ease of float? Two sided entry/walkability?

The look / shimano style models might seem most familiar to you, coming from the clip-and-strap world. Shimano has an edge in durability over Look KEO, in my opinion.

Crank Brothers Quattros might be the easiest in 'stomp and go' terms as well as walkability off the bike, when used with the quattro cleats.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I second the recommendation of the Ultegra SPD-SLs. I use them on my DA rig (bought them previously, have seen no need to upgrade pedals). I have well over 6K miles on the original cleats (no kidding) and they're good for walking on smooth paved surfaces. No squeaks or concerns of broken pedal bodies if you drop your bike. Good pedal for your price range.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the information! I found a pair of brand new Ultegra SPD-SL 06's on eBay for $75, so I think that's the way I will go. Thanks again!

·
needs more sleep
732 Posts
knee surgery / ultegra pedals

I agree. Go with the ultegra's. I hade ACL reconstruction to my right knee, and the ultegra pedals have enough float and release adjustment to not be a problem, also I have never had an unexpected release while hammering. Good solid pedals. Not bad looking either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts