Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I road for years and then took a long break. I've been back into it for about a year now and am buying a new bike (alum./carbon, full ultegra, etc.). I currently have a steel Giant with traditional clip/strap pedals and of course I will be switching with the new bike. Any recommendations on pedals for someone who is used to traditional clip/strap pedals? I would probably favor some that are easy to get in and out of. I don't want to spend more than $150, but want the pedals to be at the same level as the rest of the bike. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I will put in a plug for Campy pedals. I use Record titanium, which is maybe a little outside of your budget, but the Chorus pedals are in there somewhere (Record are a little lighter, with triple-sealed as opposed to double-sealed bearings).
The best? No. The cheapest? No. The lightest? No. But they are a little bit of all these, and they're simple and elegant and they work. I can't recall ever unclipping when I didn't want to, and I have always been able to get out of them when I needed to, as well.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,257 Posts
I know you're probably reticent about putting some Campy on on your Shimano bike, but I agree with Bill about the Campy pedals. I have a set of Chorus pedals that I've put about 5,000 miles plus on. They have a near ideal amount of float. They've never accidentally released on me. They've never refused to let go. They've never given me a phony clip-in. When you hear or feel the click, you are in. No funny business. The bearing is smooooth. Yes, they creak a little when the cleat has dirt in it, and depending how much walking you do, the cleats wear out every couple thousand miles. But all told, the Campagnolo pedals are everything a component should be. They're good looking, too.

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
Campy pedals?

Speedplay is what the cool cats run. I don't know about the blue ones (Zeros) but the regular X-series are about all you would want on a pedal system.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Another Campy ProFit user

53T said:
Campy pedals. Speedplay is what the cool cats run. I don't know about the blue ones (Zeros) but the regular X-series are about all you would want on a pedal system.
Cool cats? Well now, THAT'S a reason to choose a pedal. Personally, while some may come close, I can't really see how any pedal exceeds the total performance package of Campy ProFit. Personal preference may send some to SpeedPlay, etc. but that choice is not based on performance limitations for Campy. I have over 65K miles on my Record ProFits with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody for the information. It sounds like the Campy option is a good one. Someone also recommended the new Ultegra pedals...any thoughts on those?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I've used Ultegra SPD-SLs since they came out three or so years back. I'm a long time Look user since the original big white Looks. SPD-SLs are the same idea only with all the problems fixed... the cleats don't wear out, the pedals are easier to clip in and out of, and they don't squeak.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ultegra 6610

I have the Ultegra SPD-SL 6610 pedals. They work great. Again, simple, elegant, good float, and no problems with the cleats. I found mine on Ebay for under $100 brand new in box. I was just looking last night and saw a few more for around $85 or so. They are reliable, and while not the best of everything, certainly very functional and I've had no problems or issues with them, although I've only had about 2500 mile on mine. I would definitely go with them again. Here are some examples. The auctions are already expired, so you won't be able to bid on them, but it gives you an idea of what they are going for on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7226666303&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7225766561&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts