Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought my first road bike ( an Allez sport) and as for now i am going to take the crank brothers egg beaters off my mountain bike and throw them on my road bike. soon i plan on buying some road pedals but i have a few questions
first, what is the difference between road peddals and mountain bike pedals?
Second, whats the difference in the shoes
Third what a good brand/model? ( i heard from quite a few friends that speedplay pedals have alot of pllay in them)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Which pedals? - the million dollar question

Your questions inorder

Firstly. Road bike pedals tend to be better at transferring power but can be slightly harder to use.

Secondly. Road shoes are much stiffer - better power transfer, usually lighter, but harder to walking in.

Finally. In my view pedal are a personal thing. I use to ride old style Look pedals. They worked OK but the creak drove me mad (they will creak as the pedal wears and cleats out). Look are harder to walk on and the cleat wears away. I have switched to some cheap Ultegra pedals to try the opposition, I am happy with them so far. The new Look Keos are suppose to be OK as well (very light as well).

Re the speedplays, based on the review you will either love or hate the extra float, the only other thing people say is the base plate mechanism can clog easily.

In truth depending on how hardcore you are you will most probobly be fine with the egg beaters.

As I said before pedal sare really a personal thing like seats and colour schemes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
so what are your needs?
Compatibility is nice so if you want to use the same shoe for either MTB or Road... I was using my old MTB pedals and shoes up until 3 months ago. Splurged and bought some M2 Racer ORB ti pedals. Love them. Wouldn't want them for MTB though. Too much a pain getting in. Solid underfoot and very light weight.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I got a pair of TIME RXS carbon pedals that I'm really liking a lot. Decent amount of float (5 degrees, not too much) and not too hard to clip into. I went a bit cheaper on the shoes (Diadora gecko roads) but I'm happy with them so far. Good luck in your search.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts