Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in hearing experiences with what "real food," like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, has worked for you all on long rides (over 100 miles). Best recommendations? Thanks.

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,484 Posts
Fixed said:
Interested in hearing experiences with what "real food," like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, has worked for you all on long rides (over 100 miles). Best recommendations? Thanks.
I've been eating peanut butter and honey rolled up in small wheat tortillas. They fit well in a ziploc or foil and provide a good mixture of carbs, fats and proteins. You can add just about any fruit to them as well (bananas, berries, etc). Much more appetizing than most energy bars.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Fixed said:
BBQ Ribs and beer? :D

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
I've stopped for burritos before. As long as it's not a race, eat what you are in the mood for.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
In all seriousness though..hard to beat a king size snickers and a cold coke.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
One working model

Fixed said:
On long rides like that, I carry salted fig bars (my salt) for eating on the bike, and a couple of cookies and a half cup or so of salted mixed nuts. I space out the fig bars (rooughly 700 calories total for under 120 miles) and have the cookies, mixed nuts, and a Coke for a mid-ride break (about 750 calories).. The fig bars provide fast but not sharp bursts of energy while riding and the cookies and nuts provide staying power to supplement the 2nd half of the ride. The Coke is a nice boost mid-ride.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Fixed said:
Ham and cheese sammich. IT's slightly more cumbersome to unpack but unless it's a mass start race that's a small price to pay to avoid saw dust bars.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Fig newtons and bananas as well as paydays are good. But my usual is a coke (NOT Diet) and a little Debbie oatmeal cake (Hillbilly powerbar). I can go forever on them.

One local century gives out boiled potatoes and salt at a rest stop. They are the bomb!!!

At around mile 80 of a century there is nothing like real food.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
When I did the Seattle to Portland (202.5 miles in one day) a few weeks ago I had a ham and cheese sandwich at mile 100 and 145. I also had bananas, fig neutons, and an orange. I didn't have any stomach issues and finished with a good time. I had a Coke at mile 167. IMO, cokes fix everything including cramps.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Well, you didn't say how FAST you want to complete the 100 miler... Kind of makes a difference.

Seriously though, I like food that I can find at most c-stores. Payday bars, Fig Newtons, fruit juice (diluted), bananas are the usuals.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
948 Posts
Croissant with Nutella spread is awesome, plenty of carbs & fats for the long burn. A Euro sandwich is take a baguette, toast it, & you can either butter it or lightly soak one side of the bread in white wine, the other with butter, and add ham & cheese. Cut into bite size pieces. Completely delicious & easy on the gut.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
afap

as fast as possible; let's say, 22 mph for 100 miles (solo), 20 mph for 200, 15 mph for 500

Creakyknees said:
Well, you didn't say how FAST you want to complete the 100 miler... Kind of makes a difference.

Seriously though, I like food that I can find at most c-stores. Payday bars, Fig Newtons, fruit juice (diluted), bananas are the usuals.

·
Dr. Flats a lot
742 Posts
Belgian power bars

crepes with nutella. fold them in quarters, put them in a ziplock and holy friggin awesomeness. look in the bag of tricks of every pro team soigner and I guarentee you will find a jar of nutella. it's a bit easier to put it on bread, the the crepes just really put them over the top.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I must second the nutella suggestion, its definately on my list of wonder foods. I like to alternate the foods I take. I've tried nutella on baguette or italian bread and on crepes. I also like salted not mixes and trail mixes ( I mix my own thank you very much, and never forget the chocolate). I've also once tried the baked potato in tin foil trick, and its good but not great, its an idea that needs work.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.