Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forget all the guys in the spotlight, winning race after race...

I admire riders like Voigt, Ekimov, Guerini, Dekker, guys who do not necessary win the big races but are there day after day attacking and helping their leaders.

One great example is Jens Voigt who is portrayed in the documentary "Overcoming" like the ultimate work horse. I really like watching this guy... a little on the excentric and crazy side... Cool dude!

Any other examples that you may have? Feel free to elaborate...

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
Zabel and Voight and Chechu

Yas, yas, I know Zabel has won tons (so have Voight) but he's a perennial rider. All year, every year. This year, he goes over to Milram and is happy to lead out Petacchi at the expense of his own ambitions. True, he's really not the same finisher that he used to be, but all the same, I can't see any of the other great sprinters of his generation (Cipo, McEwen, etc.) doing the same.

Chechu is just steady. Love to watch him bury people on climbs. No nonsense. He's also a lot better of a TT guy than his results show. When it comes to the TTT, he hammers. When USPS let Pena go, I thought that it would be a big losss. It wasn't. Chechu was/is one of the true "strongmen" of that team.

On the US circuit, I dig Zacjik. He's just on the cusp of being a big time rider I think. If he can stay injury free, I would not be surprised if he goes to Europe next year. He's young and talented. He would be a good work horse for some team.

BT

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
funny, i was just about to list the same exact three!

after seeing Zabel and Rolf Aldag in Höllentour (can't remember the english name of it) both riders came out as being super classy, professional, and likeable guys.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Jens

gotta love a big ole diesel. George as he's had kind of a similar career. Zabel is a total Bike Geek, he just digs bikes, he reminds us 'regular joe bike riders' of ourselves, just in love with the whole thing (he has a bike museum) the only difference being he has some serious palmares as well.

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
Good thread

I'd say the one I respect the most is Axel Merckx. Talk about pressure with filling big shoes! I've overheard guys talk about him being a "dissapointment" compared to his Dad. I think 99.9999999999999% of all cyclists would fall into the same category!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'd say Riis as a director, Jens....

as a rider. Look what Riis does with his riders. Talk about a dedicated guy. He's the ultimate motivator. Jens is the man though and I like Bobby J to. Heck all the CSC team. Quickstep to for the matters.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
My nominee is
TAFI
for his actions in RVV a couple of years ago. As the last rider of a suicide break was caught by a chase group, the last rider to pass him patted him on the back. "Good try mate!"

·
Registered
238 Posts
LSchoux said:
Forget all the guys in the spotlight, winning race after race...

I admire riders like Voigt, Ekimov, Guerini, Dekker, guys who do not necessary win the big races but are there day after day attacking and helping their leaders.

Any other examples that you may have? Feel free to elaborate...
JA Flecha, marks everyone and most idiosyncratic victory salute around. Legendary effort for Friere this weekend.

/Nico Mattan is a cheater.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Eki -- he is a big, older guy that still throws down with the young punks. I am a big, older guy how watches Eki and just grin frm ear to ear!.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Tafi at Tour De Georgia

ultimobici said:
My nominee is
TAFI
for his actions in RVV a couple of years ago. As the last rider of a suicide break was caught by a chase group, the last rider to pass him patted him on the back. "Good try mate!"
Wasn't Tafi the guy at Tour De Georgia that was on a break entering the final circuit on one of the stages with the peloton breathing down his neck and as he turned a 180 degree corner and faced them he flipped them all the bird??

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cydswipe said:
I'd say the one I respect the most is Axel Merckx. Talk about pressure with filling big shoes! I've overheard guys talk about him being a "dissapointment" compared to his Dad. I think 99.9999999999999% of all cyclists would fall into the same category!
I agree. Axel would be considered a good rider by any standards... and then he is compared to his dad (which nobody can measure up to anyway) and Axel's own accomplishments get paled.

But the true blue cycling fan knows better :)

I'm a little miffed about all these riders that went through the "Telecom" and "T-mobile" machine and were basically buried for a couple of years... See Sevilla, Julich, Botero et.al.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
rocco said:
There are so many but I agree with all that have been named so far and add Bettini.
Bettini seems like a really cool guy both on and off the bike.

I also admire Lefevere. He's built up several teams from scratch by now. His record in shepherding his riders to victory in one-day races is just staggering. Oh, and that's load up the podium while we're at it. Too bad we hear little of QSI in the US. The Belgians probably hear quite a bit about them.

However, I really admire whoever is running Cofidis. So much money, so few results. And to boot, refuse to take back the guy who single-handedly saved your 2004 season. Yeah, right.

·
100% torqued
766 Posts
I dig Eki's attitude. Last year at a Tour prep race Eki was in the lead attacking up some monster steep but short climb and got caught. He ended up losing but obviously had fun taking the risk and was grinning afterwards.

Not a roadie, but I think Ned Overend is the stuff. 50 and still going strong.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Howzitbroke said:
I dig Eki's attitude. Last year at a Tour prep race Eki was in the lead attacking up some monster steep but short climb and got caught. He ended up losing but obviously had fun taking the risk and was grinning afterwards.

Not a roadie, but I think Ned Overend is the stuff. 50 and still going strong.
Overend ! I have to second that one too... Great guy and like Eki, STILL GOING STRONG!

Eki, man... He's the ultimate bike racer. The guy has an unquestionable work ethic. He lives and breathes cycling. I just love watching him in TT-mode. Wow! Strong! Intense! I was so dismayed that he had to sit out last year's tour. See:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/letters/?id=2005/05-06letters#Go

Semper Fi !

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Laurent Jalabert.

·
Registered
192 Posts
question - with Tyler's verdict in, will Eki get his second gold medal in TT? Third if you include gold from individual pursuit from 1988. Man, that's like almost 20 years ago!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts