Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a set of race wheels around White Industries hubs. I am looking to get the down to 1500grams (less would be better, but 1500 is great). I am currently 180lbs, but should be around 165-170 within the next month and a half. What rims and spokes would you guys suggest? Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
lancerracer said:
I am building up a set of race wheels around White Industries hubs. I am looking to get the down to 1500grams (less would be better, but 1500 is great). I am currently 180lbs, but should be around 165-170 within the next month and a half. What rims and spokes would you guys suggest? Thanks!

I have White Hubs laced to theDT Swiss RR 1.1, 14/15 db spokes, brass nips, come in at 1570 gms I think. Not the stiffest set (I weigh 190lbs) but the spin up great and ride very smooth. the RR1.1 are very sturdy. Have had a few issues keeping the rear White hun tight. After about 250 mile, it develops a little play and I have to tighten them. all in all, a great wheelset, would buy the rims again

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Go aero...

I'd go with aero rims and spokes for racing... should buy you ~.3+ mph on the flat when you aren't drafting (and if you are always drafting, you'll never win). It is more important than a few grams of weight in virtually all conditions.

So, for spokes CX-rays ($2.50 each) if you have the money... and AE-15s ($.80 each) if you don't. Use 2.0-1.8 round spokes on the right rear to even out the stiffness a bit. 30mm Speedcific or IRD Niobium rims, 24 front, 28 rear. They weigh 465g each, so the wheels will be pretty light, anyway.

It's just what I'd do...

·
Air Force
280 Posts
rruff said:
I'd go with aero rims and spokes for racing... should buy you ~.3+ mph on the flat when you aren't drafting (and if you are always drafting, you'll never win). It is more important than a few grams of weight in virtually all conditions.

So, for spokes CX-rays ($2.50 each) if you have the money... and AE-15s ($.80 each) if you don't. Use 2.0-1.8 round spokes on the right rear to even out the stiffness a bit. 30mm Speedcific or IRD Niobium rims, 24 front, 28 rear. They weigh 465g each, so the wheels will be pretty light, anyway.

It's just what I'd do...
~.3+ mph in a single man break won't get you to the end most times even if you hold a 25 mph pace because a group with a draft will push the pace up to 25-30 mph. 30 mph is pretty easily achieve with enough riders working in a single file pace line with 15-30 second pulls at the front. You also have to think about the cross winds that you may have with a more aero rim. It’s nice to have an aero rim for flat non-windy races but controlling the bike with aero rims in a 10-15mph crosswind can be dangerous. At least that’s what I have learned in my two years of racing. If you want aero, light, and strong wheels, go with carbon rims like Nimble's. They’re cheaper than Zipp or Reynolds’s wheels and you can put whatever hubs and spokes you want. For a stronger Horse Fly 28 or 32 hole they are $310 or for the not as strong Fly 28 hole its $270. I am looking at a pair for my self to build with a pair of H1's that will come in at around 1250 grams (not to bad for just under $900). Getting the money together is the hard part.

I have a pair of 32 hole White Industries LTA hubs that are laced 3 cross front and rear to Mavic Reflex tubular rims. They only weigh 1470 gram with not so light cheap spokes. I use these wheels for training and some harsh races and they always run true and smooth. But some people don't like tubulars because they are better tires and have lighter rims than clinchers. But any sub 400 gram rim should bring you into the 1500 gram range with 32 spokes. I only weigh 145lbs so I can't say how they would work for you, but they are the strongest wheels I have ever ridden. Are you going to use the LTA's or the new H1's? Good luck with your search and post some pictures when you finish them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just got my wheels - White Ind. hubs, CX-Ray spokes and Velocity Aero/OC rims. Seriously fine looking wheels (from Spinlite). The Velocity rims look to be a very good quality. I expect these wheels to last quite a while.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Velocity Aero/OC rims

I have two sets of wheels built with those rims and like them a lot. One set is on Chris Kings with CXRays, great wheels. I have several thousand miles on them and haven't touched a spoke. I'm sure you will like yours as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts