Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a bike with Shimano 600/Ultegra 32h hubs. I am a big guy, about 250lbs. I do about 90% road riding and 10% light trail riding. I want to get 35-38mm tires that lead more towards road riding than trail riding.

What budget rims would work well? I don't really know what rims are worth, so I am asking here. I would like to keep the price around $30CAD for each rim, can I get a quality rim for this price? Not high end, or fancy, just quality.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the frame is aluminum and the fork is aluminum/carbon fiber.

Many Thanks for the info,
Ian

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
The cheapest thing that I could find is a Mavic A319 rim. $40 USD, 24mm wide, and will fit 28-60mm wide tires.
Cheaper and skinnier is a Sun CR-18 for $28 USD, but is only 22.5mm wide, and will fit tires from 25-35mm wide.
A quality rim is the Mavic A719, but costs $80 USD

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have older Mavic 500 hubs sitting around, I have also had Mavic rims before and I like the quality of their stuff, but that is a too much for me, with exchange and everything.

But thanks for the info any way.
Ian

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mavic Open Sport (formerly MA3) runs $33 US and is a quality rim...Mavic says its good to 32mm tires but I've run 35mm on Open Pro Rims (narrower rim) with no issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.