Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have talked myself into doing the TOSRV (208miles in 2 days) on my single speed, sort of my big challenge to myself. The longest ride ever on the SS was 50 miles. I was running a 43x17=68gi since I built the SS. It is a little too easy to spin out and since this ride is fairly flat(done it about 3 times) and the original ride 40 some years ago was done on single speeds, I figure lets bump the gi up a little and gain some speed. Went with a 48x17=76gi. Took it out for a 20 miler and it was not that bad. I thought it would be too tall and my HR would exceed consistently what I want to accomplish for the ride. Not at all.

This ride is notorious for unusual weather, lots of rain or wind or just as calm and peaceful as can be. I put the 43 ring on the inside position just in case I run into heavy headwinds and run out of gas, I have a bailout gear option. This means if I swap I need to shorten the chain 2 links. Not doing the tensioner thing, don't suggest it. Should I get a second chain and carry it or just carry a tool and back out a pin and remove links?

Last question, do I let the hair grow out on my legs to look the part of angry retro grouch?

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
If it were me, I'd leave the 43x17 on. How fast do you want to go anyway? You're not going out to set a land speed record for 208 miles. FWIW-I did the "seagull century" several yrs ago on my fixie that was geared at 42 x17. It's very flat as well but you can (and I did) encounter strong winds. I wound up with about an 18mph avg.

· chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Lone Gunman said:
Last question, do I let the hair grow out on my legs to look the part of angry retro grouch?
I think the others have far more pertinent advise to you on the gearing question. I myself run a 48x16 fixed and it doesn't bother me, but then I'm not doing centuries on it.

I've done TOS a few times. believe me you'll stand out more if you keep your legs shaved than if you don't. plenty of hairy-legged saggy individuals show up for that one.

look out for Tym Tyler's boyz. I dunno what they're calling themselves these days but back when I lived in Ohio it was TeamColumbus and they're all Pro/1/2 level (well for the most part). they tend to start early and use TOS as a training race. not a paceline you wanna get caught up in, trust me.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
We have done lots of rides that long (and longer) fixed.

Of course fixed ain't exactly the same as SS.

The deal of course is to run a fairly easy gear so you feel good at the end of the day. By riding nice and steady all day long you will end up passing a lot of folks that passed you earlier. The other inportant thing to do is save yourself on the first day so that you can spend yourself on the second day (if you want to spend it that is).

Bottom line; don't push yourself and don't run a gear that forces you to push yourself. Better to think at the end of the ride that you could have gone faster than to wish you haden't gone with the SS.

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only teams I remember on that ride

The Wolverines. The ride has become a little more mainstream, still has it's share of goofballs carrying all of their personal belongings in a canvas backpack, but most of what I remember seeing is road riders. Columbus Outdoor Pursuits puts the ride on these days, mostly road riders.

I actually am now thinking of getting an 18T freewheel and split the difference of too high or low. The way I look at it, on my geared bike each shift = about 4/5 GI. Going from 68GI to 76GI is about 1.5/2 gears higher. I am planning to use this ride as a training ride with a specific set of parameters to follow, just as I did last year. This year I don't have the base miles in that I want yet, hence it will be an LSD trip keeping the HR nice and consistent. Single speed is more a mental challenge than physical, sort of like when you do your first century, "can I really ride 100 miles?" If I get into bad headwinds, yes I have a backup plan. As far as speed goes, I suspect I'll average 16-17mph with the gearing I have. Then I can laugh at myself and all the other clowns who spent 3K on a uber ride and can do and have just as much fun on the $65 relic I found on the sidewalk.

I also decided to wear some of the retro kit I own, really looking forward to the challenge unless it rains and is cold. I may skip it if that is forecast.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
What? 200 miles in the rain isn't fun??:eek::confused::rolleyes:

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The worst rain ride I ever did..

Cycle North Carolina last fall. Was riding with a friend and it started raining on the eve of day 4 of a 7 day trip. I am talking non stop rain for 4 days, tropical storm rain. Friend's gear got all wet at night, he called his wife, rented a car and quit the ride. "It's bad and is not getting better." He was right, I tried for the next 3 days to get out of the rain, no luck.

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
I would say get two SRAM quick links (assuming you run a 3/32" chain) and place the length you need to add between the SRAM links. Then you just throw the extra in a baggie and take it out and add when you need it.

· Registered
2,643 Posts
Ride the big gear, carry a chain tool, shave

A few of us rode 100 miles fixed last fall in CT. We avoided serious hills, but did a few 1/2 mile climbs and a 2 miler. Most of as are over 50 and all rode different gear setups between 70 and 79 inches. The ride pace was leisurely and felt little or no different than riding 100 miles on bikes with freewheels and gears.

A gear too small to keep up with people I want to keep up with would frustrate me more than standing for a while to get up a hill. I lived in Columbus for a while and remember it as pretty easy riding when the wind was quiet.

Chain tool seems simpler to me than a spare chain, but I have a much harder time with the SRAM and Wipperman connecting links than I have with pins. ymmv.

If you shave your legs, don't grow hair for others. I wouldn't shave mine for anything other than adhesive tape.

Enjoy the ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.