Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After deciding to get my first road bike, getting my wife's blessing and visiting several LBSs, looking at many different road bikes, I finally decided on a 2010 Trek 2.3 Triple. The LBS I bought it from took my measurements and are building my bike now. It will be ready in a few days and I was wondering what do I need to know about the bike fitting process? What questions should I ask? ect. Any advice would be appreciated.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Will Lendzian said:
After deciding to get my first road bike, getting my wife's blessing and visiting several LBSs, looking at many different road bikes, I finally decided on a 2010 Trek 2.3 Triple. The LBS I bought it from took my measurements and are building my bike now. It will be ready in a few days and I was wondering what do I need to know about the bike fitting process? What questions should I ask? ect. Any advice would be appreciated.
Welcome to RBR, Will. And (pre) congrats on your new bike. :)

Stating the obvious, you need to know you're comfortable with and trust your fitter. From your brief description of how they've operated thus far, I think you're in good hands.

That said, I agree that your taking a pro-active approach to the fitting process is in your best interest, because ultimately you decide if the initial fit works. Good fitters know and recognize this, so once their work is done they'll send you off on a test ride (or set you up on a trainer, but I prefer road) and once you've put in some saddle time, get your feedback. If, for whatever reason they don't do this, ask that they do, because it's important. No one expects perfection out of an initial fit, but it should be close and you should ride relatively pain free.

As far as the process itself, if they've already taken measurements it'll just be a matter of tweaks to saddle height, fore/ aft (setting KOPS +/-), tilt, and stem (reach/ height adjustments), if needed. If you've purchased a clipless pedal system, cleat set up will be incorporated into the initial fit as well. The rest is going to depend on how you feel on the bike, because flexibility/ fitness and personal preferences (yes, even noobs have them) come into play.

Lastly, relax and enjoy the process. Ask questions if something piques your curiosity. And kudo's to you for going about this the right way. I'm sure you'll enjoy your bike.

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
To add to the above post: You might try out several saddles, but don't buy a recommended one, make sure it fits you.
A great fitter will take time and ask a lot of questions, so instead of taking the answer we all typically give (do you want to go fast, and the answer is almost always yes), the fitter will probe into mileage, if you'll be racing, how flexible you are, and many other questions I can't think of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.