Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i just bought an 06 Allez Sport, and i am new to road biking (but not new to cycling, right now i mnt bike) here is my question. What should i upgrade first? as in what would help me the most, as in what would make me more comfortable or fast? here are the specs
FRAME Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, double-butted tubing, compact road geometry
REAR SHOCK None
FORK Specialized carbon fork, carbon fiber legs, Cr-Mo steerer
HEADSET Specialized Integrated, 1 1/8" integrated threadless, sealed bearings, alloy 20mm cone with two 5mm alloy spacers
STEM Specialized Pro, 3D forged alloy, 31.8mm bar clamp, 4- position adjustable
HANDLEBARS Specialized Zertz Comp handlebar, racing drop, 31.8 clamp
TAPE Body Geometry Bar Phat, cork ribbon w/2.5mm gel padding
FRONT BRAKE Dual pivot, with cartridge multi-condition pads
REAR BRAKE Dual pivot, with cartridge multi-condition pads
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed, STI, flight deck compatible
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano Tiagra, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano 105, 9-speed, long cage
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano Tiagra,9-speed, STI, flight deck compatible
CASSETTE Shimano HG50, 12-25t
CHAIN Shimano HG73, 9-speed
CRANKSET Sugino Comp, five arm, polished arms
CHAINRINGS 52x42x30T
BOTTOM BRACKET TH BB-7420 cartridge, square taper, 68mm shell, 118mm spindle
PEDALS Composite body, alloy cage, with toe clips and straps
RIMS Alex AT400, 700c double wall rim, machined sidewalls, spoke eyelets
FRONT HUB Specialized forged alloy, 28 hole, double sealed bearings, QR
REAR HUB Specialized forged alloy, 32 hole, double sealed bearings, cassette, QR
SPOKES Stainless 14g
FRONT TIRE Specialized Mondo Comp, 700x23C, aramid bead, 60TPI
REAR TIRE Specialized Mondo Comp, 700x23C, aramid bead, 60TPI
TUBES Specialized standard presta tube, 0.9mm thickness
SADDLE Specialized Body Geometry road saddle, full padding
SEAT POST Specialized carbon fiber, 27.2mm
SEAT BINDER Specialized CNC, alloy
NOTES Chain stay protector, reflectors, chain catcher, clear coat, owners manual

·
Registered
460 Posts
Pedals

I think getting some descent clipless pedals would be a good place to start. The bike as it is should work just fine and give you many miles of enjoyment. Get outside and ride your bike. Once you've got many hundreds of miles under your butt, you will have a better idea of what is important to you. Who knows, you may want to get a whole new bike by then, and would have saved sinking hundreds of dollars into this one in upgrades.

But pedals are important. Get a good pair that fits your needs.

Enjoy

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
yep, for sure, grab AWESOME quality pedals and keep them forever, that is money well spent, and IMO is a safety product... then spend your dough on shoes to match..

as for the bike itself : not worth it IMO. its only a tiagra level, what do you plan on doing? buying a 10sp ultegra and swap it out? not economically viable.

i would ride the bolts of this thing and upgrade the whole bike later, that way you can spend according to how much you actually use your roadie down the road, and not just based on the 'honeymoon' period of getting into a new sport (or category of the same sport)

even if you got a really good bike later on, some high end look pedals or if you're into shimano, ultegra pedals, that you get now wouldn't be out of place and will serve you well. Few bikes off the shelf come with decent pedals, none AFAIK come with decent shoes.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
maybe the saddle and maybe pedals.

the former is the stock saddle isn't comfortable, the latter if you're not happy with the stock, or use a different system.

otherwise just ride your bike and enjoy it for awhile. ;)

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have 5000 miles in 10 months on my 05 Allez Sport which is equipped the same as yours. This is my first real bike. I haven't upgraded anything except the pedals (just bought a cheap set of SPD). The only trouble I've had is with the tires (flatted a lot until I replace them) and the wheels (broke three spokes). Otherwise I'm very happy with the bike and it's a lot of fun to ride. In another few years, assuming I'm still riding a lot, I'll upgrade by buying a whole new bike that is better equipped. For now, I'd say that you should just ride.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
Ride. My wife has an Allez Sport too. She's been riding it for a couple of years, and all she's changed is to get good-quality clipless pedals (and shoes, natch).

Now that she's got a lot of miles in it, she's just now starting to be able to tell the parts that aren't performing the way she thinks they should. We're considering a new wheelset right now--her old front rim has a little "hop" in it that truing won't take out (we think it's a manufacturing defect--the Alex rims aren't the greatest). But she rode for a season and a half before she started to feel the hop when riding. She's also now thinking about her form, and how she might become a stronger or more-efficient pedaler--the form advice in the books and magazines is starting to make sense to her. It's just this season that all this has come home to her.

She's becoming attuned to the act of riding a bike, and has started to develop opinions about what she wants from it.

I suggest, as most others here have, that you make sure your bike is well maintained, then ride the hell out of it as-is. When you're ready to appreciate an upgrade, your own sense of the bike and your riding style will tell you what's lacking. Fix that, and you'll really notice a difference. Until then, you'll only feel upgrades in your wallet.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Remove the reflectors, valve nuts, spoke protector?

Buy a pump! This is not your mountain bike. You WILL flat.

Seat and pedals- standard upgrade for most new bikes. Other than that- ride it. Maybe upgrade your wheels at some point and carry them over to your next bike. Everyone should have a few wheelsets.

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Yep. Pump of some kind.

I was out on a ride last summer and saw a guy looking dejectedly at his road bike
by the side of the road. I stopped to check out what the problem was and his rear
tire suddenly lost pressure. Nearest I can figure out was some kind of pinch flat but
he'd neglected to bring his pump along and he was meeting a group ride somewhere.

I pumped the sucker up and he was on his way but he never would have been late
for his ride if he hadn't had one along.

I'm using the Crank Brothers mini pump that gets you a little over 100 psi that
allows you to get road bike tires pumped mostly to optimal pressure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.