Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My winter/trainer bike really really needs some upgrading. I've put a bazillion miles on my 1997 105 Triple group. What should it cost me to go to the 105 9-spd group (no, I don't want the 10 spd). I'd need a BB, the f/r ders, brake calipers, shifters, chain, sprocket and head set. Oh, and a reasoable new handlebar for my quill stem too.

Any thoughts?

BT

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
eyebob said:
My winter/trainer bike really really needs some upgrading. I've put a bazillion miles on my 1997 105 Triple group. What should it cost me to go to the 105 9-spd group (no, I don't want the 10 spd). I'd need a BB, the f/r ders, brake calipers, shifters, chain, sprocket and head set. Oh, and a reasoable new handlebar for my quill stem too.

Any thoughts?

BT
I'm thinking that shifters, chain, cassette and front derailleur will do what you want. Cosmetically it might not all match to meet your expectations, but it'll work.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I upgraded my Ult 9 to Ult 10 for about 320.00 over the winter. The bidding on ebay has gotten crazy with spring around the corner.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Need and want

eyebob said:
My winter/trainer bike really really needs some upgrading. I've put a bazillion miles on my 1997 105 Triple group. What should it cost me to go to the 105 9-spd group (no, I don't want the 10 spd). I'd need a BB, the f/r ders, brake calipers, shifters, chain, sprocket and head set. Oh, and a reasoable new handlebar for my quill stem too. Any thoughts?
First thought is that winter/trainer bikes don't get upgraded, they just get maintained, which means replacing what wears out. Many of the items you suggest replacing don't seem to get you anywhere. The cost of this upgrade could easily equal the current value of the bike, so you might be better off to sell this thing and take that money, plus the few $100 you would have spent on the upgrade, and buy a "new used" bike of more recent vintage/fewer miles/higher grade stuff. Upgrade projects very often end up costing much more than planned as you discover all the "little things" that need to be changed as well.

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kerry, et al.

Kerry Irons said:
First thought is that winter/trainer bikes don't get upgraded, they just get maintained, which means replacing what wears out. Many of the items you suggest replacing don't seem to get you anywhere. The cost of this upgrade could easily equal the current value of the bike, so you might be better off to sell this thing and take that money, plus the few $100 you would have spent on the upgrade, and buy a "new used" bike of more recent vintage/fewer miles/higher grade stuff. Upgrade projects very often end up costing much more than planned as you discover all the "little things" that need to be changed as well.
I agree with the thought that the "upgrading" would likely set me back more than what a good used bike may. This "winter/training" bike is really my foul weather bike too. Meaning that I often ride it when there's even a hint of bad weather. I just don't like to get my other bike wet, etc. so really, this is a trainer bike. As such, the fit and ride are pretty important to me. I'd be interested in finding used parts for it as this would likely be cheaper than "new" 105 9-spd stuff, but it's currently running the older 8-spd drive-train so I have to upgrade anyway.

So what are your thoughts now? Any different? I don't see the re-sale of this bike being more than $300 or so. I dig the frame (Cannondale CAAD3) and I admit that there's some nonsensical sentimentality to hanging on to the frame. dBay is a bit short on used groups at the present time, I was just wondering if you all had other options/thoughts, and just what I should/could be spending.

BT

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Same calculations

eyebob said:
I agree with the thought that the "upgrading" would likely set me back more than what a good used bike may. This "winter/training" bike is really my foul weather bike too. Meaning that I often ride it when there's even a hint of bad weather. I admit that there's some nonsensical sentimentality to hanging on to the frame.
The math is the same - you could get a better used bike for the $700 or so you'd have if you sold your current ride and pooled your upgrade money. The sentimentality thing cannot be calculated :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
eyebob said:

Any thoughts?

BT
This past fall I upgraded my road bike to DA10 and took it's DA9 and put it on my cross bike. I took the 105/9 off the cross bike and it's sitting in a bag in my garage.
I know I have the shifter/brakes, rear der but NOT the front, Bontrager crank, pretty sure I have the BB.

I am sure I do not have the head set, chain rings (they stayed on the cross bike) and I'd have to check on the rest.

I'd let whatever I have that you need go pretty cheap, maybe $100 plus shipping?. Let me know if you are interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts