Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 LeMond Wayzata, with some good deals on ebay i would like to replace the forks on it but i have no clue how to determine the size/spec's of the fork. Any kind person out there have any idea how to accomplish this?? or should i just to my locale shop for advice?

· Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Are you planning on installing the new fork yourself? Setting the star nut or compression plug? Setting the race crown? etc?

If not you might just want to go ahead and go through your LBS on this one, as they'll likely do the install for free if you buy from them, otherwise you'd probably pay around $50. Not saying the idea is bad to do it yourself, just throwing the install into the mix.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying, well i'm not the best mechanically so i'd rather the LBS do it, what i was hoping, was to discover the size so i could order myself a nice set of forks with my choice of brand/model at a much reduced cost.

· Registered
830 Posts
BaTManuel said:
I have a 2003 LeMond Wayzata, with some good deals on ebay i would like to replace the forks on it but i have no clue how to determine the size/spec's of the fork. Any kind person out there have any idea how to accomplish this?? or should i just to my locale shop for advice?
You're asking if it's 1" or 1 1/8"?
from the lemondbikes archive it's 1 1/8"

http://www.lemondbikes.com/2003_bikes/wayzata.html

So, you'll want a 1 1/8" threadless fork with a steerer about the same length as the current one (depends on if you want to add or take away some spacers to raise/lower the height of the bar).

Here's a link to a good DIY site, if you're inclined to try replacing it on your own. It's pretty easy.
http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm#FHQ4

hope that helps,
Serge

PS-batmanuel, that was a classic character!:cornut:

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Serge, you sir, are one excellent human being!!
Thanks a ton for the info, that was exactly what i was looking for, i would like to do it myself if i could, so another big thanks for that link! Also 1 more question, am i correct in thinking the steerer length is not that important as it it can be cut if it needs to be? Thanks again!

Jay (BaTManuel lives on!)

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
BaTManuel said:
Serge, you sir, are one excellent human being!!
Thanks a ton for the info, that was exactly what i was looking for, i would like to do it myself if i could, so another big thanks for that link! Also 1 more question, am i correct in thinking the steerer length is not that important as it it can be cut if it needs to be? Thanks again!

Jay (BaTManuel lives on!)
You should expect that the steerer will be longer than required--they're designed that way. If you get a used one, you need to watch out and make sure it's long enough, but with a new one, expect to have to cut it down.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!!
That arms me with all the right info, now to find me some forks!!
Thanks a lot, you guys have been a GREAT help!!
Thanks again.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
brianmcg said:
Just a little helpful tip, you only have one fork on your bike. You done need a set of them.
"You done need a set of them" ??

lol!

No i just need 1 fork/forks, thanks for trying to help though
:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.