Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the size bottom bracket used on an 83 schwinn traveler? I am just getting started doing my own work on bicycles, and dont have a BB wrench yet. I would like to order my new BB and have my LBS take out my old BB, and install the new one on the same day. The crank I hope to use is a Campi Veloce. So I will need the correct taper for that crank. Does such an animal exist?

Thanks,
Sean

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
It doesn't matter. Veloce uses a specific botom bracket, so you need to get the one that is specified for that crank.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
I would recommend, take it to the shop and having them take the bottom bracket off. It should be a 68mm bottom bracket but you will also need to know what size "axle" to have as well. Once that is known they can order the appropriate bottom bracket for whatever crankset you are planning on using.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I am getting this narrowed down. It looks like there are two different BB options for 68mm english threads. There is a 111mm and a 115.5 How does one determine which one you need. One website I found says to use the 115.5 for triple cranks... Well the crank I want to use is a triple, but I will only be using one ring for single speed. Or is it determined by the width of the BB I take out of the bike, which at the time has a sugino crank on it?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
e39540is said:
OK, I am getting this narrowed down. It looks like there are two different BB options for 68mm english threads. There is a 111mm and a 115.5 How does one determine which one you need. One website I found says to use the 115.5 for triple cranks... Well the crank I want to use is a triple, but I will only be using one ring for single speed. Or is it determined by the width of the BB I take out of the bike, which at the time has a sugino crank on it?

Thanks,
Sean
Well it is not that easy. If you are converting this bike to a single speed the chain line needs to be pretty darn straight from the rear wheel cog to the crankset. This alignment will change depending on what type of wheelset and where the cog you are using is on that wheelset. Again, I would have the local LBS take a look and see what they recommend since you are just starting out.

To answer your question though, you will probably need a shorted BB, possibly even something like a 109.5.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stopped by a bike shop with my frame, and asked the guy to measure the bottom bracket, and I am not confident he knew what I was asking. He measured the part of the frame that the bottom bracket goes into. In other words not the diameter of the bottom bracket, but the width of the frame. What I am looking for is a measurement of the BB axle correct?

As far as the wheelset, it will be either a Velocity Deep V, or a DT Swiss RR1.2, with formula hubs, and no dish. I figured getting the 120mm rear hub, then I can move the rear hub with spacers. Does that sound feasible?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts