Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ordering a groupset online and part of the oder form is selecting a front derailler. The option's are braze on, 31.8 or 34.9 clamp on. I have not been able to find the specs on my bike as far as what this measurement is in any on-line literature. My preference would be clamp on. Any idea where I can find this diameter?

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
What kind of bike is it? It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. The easiest way would be to take a pair of digital calipers and measure the OD of the seat tube.

Well with braze on - there is usually a bracket that is bolted/riveted/moulded onto the seat tube.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
frdfandc said:
What kind of bike is it? It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. The easiest way would be to take a pair of digital calipers and measure the OD of the seat tube.

Well with braze on - there is usually a bracket that is bolted/riveted/moulded onto the seat tube.

The bike is a 2008 Opus Fidelio. Currently running Shiamo Sora clamp on. I plan to do the build up myself and did not want to have to do any welding/brazing and I don't have any calipers.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
Pull the Sora off and look inside the clamp. It should have the sizing stamped inside the clamp.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Or wrap a sewing tape measure around the tube to measure the circumference, and divide by pi to get the diameter

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Another cheap and easy way to measure is to use an adjustable wrench (crescent)...tighten the jaws until they're just touching the sides of the frame tube and then measure the distance between jaw faces with a metric ruler.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
SilverStar said:
Another cheap and easy way to measure is to use an adjustable wrench (crescent)...tighten the jaws until they're just touching the sides of the frame tube and then measure the distance between jaw faces with a metric ruler.
I forgot about that one, the post-calibrated caliper. It works.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SilverStar said:
Thanks, I'll try this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts