Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to thank all of you who have helped me with some of the major little choices to make my bike right!

I am going with a set of Tufo Elite tubulars, at this point, They will be glued to an old set of Spinergy Team Issue Rev X's I have had laying around. The bike is a aluminum CX Specialized. I am using these wheels for racing only. I weigh 160 lbs.I will be racing in NC it is not that muddy here some rolling hills. I am a pretty good MTB'er and a avid rodie as well. Do you need more info?

The tires I am looking at come in 30 or 32. I am thinking I would like 32's because they would ride smoother and help absorb the shock from a very stiff frame. What do you guys think?

·
tdiclub Member
394 Posts
tufo elites...

honestly they dont have much side wall texture, unless you go with the narrow 28's. The Grifo Challenge 32's are more supple and have slightly more side. The tufo flexus' look good.

If shopping for tires of check www.worldclasscycles.com free fast shipping and glue. Also easy to read speadsheet of tire inventory.

Last time I checked I did not see the Grifo challenges on the site, call roger and ask for them.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
the bull said:
Those are basically too small to be useful. It says 30, but I've looked at them and they're more like 27. Search around for Challenge or Gommitalia in a 32, there's almost never a time where small tires are an advantage. I like 34s a lot too. I'd also generally not reccomend tufo tires unless you live somewhere that has a lot of goathead thorns in the races. The new flexus tires may be an improvement, I've not ridden them.I do know that the flexus is a very expensive tire, and if you start looking at that kind of price point I'd say to skip right to Dugast- which is the best that exists. But the older tufos (all models) all have poor cornering knobs and a too- hard rubber compound that makes it a tire that really works badly in a lot of common conditions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would agree totally with wunlap - 32 is the best size and 34 good if things are not too sticky. Here in the UK I believe most ride 32's if they are using tubs, saving the 34 for soft or sandy conditions. In our sticky mud, 34 can be too wide. For the 3 Peaks Cyclocross (a bizarre one off mountain and road race on cross bikes) 34 Elite tufos were the way to go - cushioning and puncture protection.

I started out with normal tufos and thought they were great till I tried the flexus (much more like a challenge or a dugast). Having recently invested (as in mortaged) in dugast typhoons and rhinos I could never go back to even the flexus. However, each ride/race requires a deep breathe and a prayer to appease the God of Punctures as they are not cheap (though repairable).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm definitely no expert but...

having ridden the flexus a couple of times and the dugast rhinos a similar amount, I would say the dugast are the better choice. Here in the UK they are pretty much the same price if you know where to go, but the dugast rhino is simply stunning in terms of grip and feel (haven't ridden my typhoons yet). The flexus is definitely a huge improvement for me over the older tufos which I have used extensively (and like a lot), it being much more supple and surprsingly grippy in slippy corners given the relatively low tread height - but the snob factor of the dugasts appealed to my baser instincts as well as the fact that they are so comfortable to ride on. No wonder they are the tyre of choice amongst top riders - I can see why now. Now to explain to my wife the subtleties of why I blew a hole in the bank balance and how they have enhanced my life. I can feel an analogy with shoes coming on ......

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
yes considering the price of the flexus

ya might as well go with Andre. I'm bigger so I like a little more volume at similar psi so I ride many 34's. One bike I have a 34 up front 32 in the rear (Grifos) and they are quite nice. If you ride on rough, rocky and nasty stuff just get the cheaper Tufo T Models.

expensive tubs have thin sidewalls and don't live long in crap conditions. If you race on nice courses by all means.

for me I get deals on the Grifos and that is the best quality for price.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
RbR Classifieds baby!!!!!

I get them through my team as well. There is a guy who's obviously a team wrench and he sells stuff in the classifieds every spring / early summer. Some new, some used, Bikes, frames, tires, etc...
I got new Grifos for 50 each and used for 50 a pair, some of the used were 'near new' you just have to bve okay with someones name on them (I have some of Josie Beggs old Grifos)

he's a great guy and easy to deal with.

·
Registered
507 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.