Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build an inexpensive steel ss/fixie cyclocross bike. I need suggestions. My research has found a few frames but I maybe missing some.

If not steel, then why aluminum?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Van Dessel Country Road Bob that I use as a winter training, kid hauling, and cross race backup. It is the 2002 bright green, aluminum, curved top and down tube model. The new CRBs have disc brakes and straight top tube. You can usually find a great deal on one through ebay, but they are becoming more rare. Built up on the cheap, my CRB weighs in at about 15 pounds (non shop scale) and is really fun to ride. It has the option for a rear derailleur, but I have never even considered one. The flip flop hub allows me to run fixie for days when I am not riding the Green Mountain gaps. Carbon fork and seatpost do a solid job of softening the aluminum ride. It is harsher than my Curtlo steel cross rig, but still plenty comfortable for the rougher stuff. Just my two cents.

·
Cyclist
531 Posts
Vassago Fisticuffs
Surly Cross Check
Felt Breed (aluminum complete bike)
Bianchi San Jose (steel complete bike)

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Surly Crosscheck
On-One Pompino
Motobecane Fantom Uno (bikeisland.com)

Specialized Tricross Single.

Why aluminum? Usually a little lighter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Racing? Try to find a Bianchi Roger... My LBS has a few in stock still...

Not Racing? Motobecane Fantom Uno is a hard deal to beat, just grandually replace the crappy components (all of them) with what you want, but after it's done you might as well have gotten a Cross Check. Also the 120mm rear spacing limits you a little.

there are many other great steel bikes to choose from.

I wouldn't ride aluminum unless I was racing and counting grams.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't forget SPOT. Great frame and great group of guys to work with. I have traditional chain frame but would l love to upgrade to the belt.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bianchi Rogers Available?

McFlyMpls said:
Racing? Try to find a Bianchi Roger... My LBS has a few in stock still...

That's what I wanted, but couldn't justify the other $500 over the bike I bought. Disc makes sense in typical cross courses. A little heavier, but not a big deal. My scales only show 10 pound increments. I don't and won't fit the categories of racers/races where disc are not allowed.

Where?
Sizes?
Price?

Moo

·
cyclocrosser/mt biker
19 Posts
How about a ridley crossbow? I am going to buy one pretty soon for $1000 for a complete bike. They are easily worth 1500 or more built up. The one I am getting also does not have any ridley build grouppo parts on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
A gram counter wouldn't give either a second look.
I agree, a weight weinie would never consider a cross check. Yeah, you're right, an 18 lb Roger isn't quite light enough. I was thinking of all the other lighweight ss cx bikes out there on the market. :rolleyes:

PeanutButterBreath said:
As for anyone else, there is probably a reason the Roger was a one season wonder.
maybe it's because of UCI rules at the time, and Bianchi was attempting to sway the market?

·
Registered
296 Posts
The Ridley is aluminum by the way.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
McFlyMpls said:
maybe it's because of UCI rules at the time, and Bianchi was attempting to sway the market?

was the Roger even sold in yurp? I thought it was a Bianchi USA-only bike... not everything available here is available there, and vice versa

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
McFlyMpls said:
I agree, a weight weinie would never consider a cross check. Yeah, you're right, an 18 lb Roger isn't quite light enough. I was thinking of all the other lighweight ss cx bikes out there on the market. :rolleyes:
18# isn't impressive for an SS. Especially one with that much money in upgrades sunk into it. [shrugs]

Judging by the brakes and gearing, that bike was never meant to be a race bike. Just another one of Skye's pet projects.

·
Registered
45 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
18# isn't impressive for an SS. Especially one with that much money in upgrades sunk into it. [shrugs]
18 would be fine by me, considering it's built up for durability. Tell us what other affordable options are out there instead.... I'd be interested.

PeanutButterBreath said:
Judging by the brakes and gearing, that bike was never meant to be a race bike. Just another one of Skye's pet projects.
You're right, the gearing is crazy. Probably put there for the roadies who come in to the LBS for test rides, looking for an off season/bad weather trainer. Never meant to be a race bike? It's perfect for races like ragnarok, almanzo, and trans-iowa, plus all of the non-UCIs.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
McFlyMpls said:
18 would be fine by me, considering it's built up for durability. Tell us what other affordable options are out there instead.... I'd be interested.
I don't consider a bike with a CF bar, seatpost, stem(?) to be built up for durability.

Affordable? Those brake levers are +$150 IIRC. I'd guess that there is $500 plus (retail value) in upgrades to that bike.

McFlyMpls said:
Never meant to be a race bike? It's perfect for races like ragnarok, almanzo, and trans-iowa, plus all of the non-UCIs.
More specifically, never meant to be a Cyclocross race bike. Its certainly not purpose-built for non-UCI racing.

But my point was that it is likely meant to be a fun, "racey" recreational bike.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts