Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What stops faster, a bike or a car? I haven't been in a situation to test this.

What turns faster, a bike or a car? I'm thinking a bike because I had a car hook a right on me on a corner when I was moving pretty fast and I was able to turn inside him without too much trouble.

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
The typical passenger car (with the typical "joe schmoe" driver) has problems following a protour rider through a TT in city streets... even has problems following a cyclist speeding down a technical descent at 30mph.

I THINK a car can stop faster due to a larger contact patch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

However, once you put it up to a sports car, things change.

· Registered
934 Posts
Just went through this on Usenet. A car can generally stop faster. To first order, braking in a car is limited by the coefficient of friction of the tires; this can be slightly higher than 1 in a performance car, providing about 1g braking force. Braking in a bicycle (or motorcycle) is limited by how hard you can brake before flipping the bike over the front wheel, which is less than 1g.

I suspect a sports car can out-corner a bicycle at higher speeds. A bicycle obviously has a better turning radius at lower speeds. And there are some cars with absolutely horrific cornering. But even your average grocery getter isn't using anything near its full cornering ability making a right turn.

· Registered
491 Posts
To add to Russotto's post - I believe I read somewhere that the limit of braking G's on a bicycle is generally around 0.66 - the limit being flipping over, due to the high center of gravity on a bicycle. A car does not have that problem and the braking is only limited by the car weight, road conditions, and the tire and brake performance.

I can't give much input on the cornering, other than that the cornering performance of a sports car tops out right around 1g.

· Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
eldarko said:
The reaction from local residents in that article was absurd. My favorite line was this:

"residents had reported being spat upon by cyclists."

Because cyclists, as habit, go around spitting on people at random.
That may have been me sweating... my apologies!

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
A car has the capability to be faster at both cornering & braking. This is due to many factors, but mainly the power of the brakes, and the contact patches of the tires. I always have to laugh when somebody says the cars and motorcycles have trouble keeping up with the cyclists on downhills. If that's true (which it isn't) the driver/rider must have driven for less than an hour in their lifetime.

· jaded bitter joy crusher
19,754 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I always have to laugh when somebody says the cars and motorcycles have trouble keeping up with the cyclists on downhills. If that's true (which it isn't) the driver/rider must have driven for less than an hour in their lifetime.
Sometimes the motos do have trouble keeping contact with cyclists on winding descents, but that's usually a news moto with a camera operator in back or a neutral support moto carrying a mechanic and a bunch of wheels and tools vs. a racing bicycle. If it were a racing moto with just the driver it would probably be different.

· Registered
1,932 Posts
Fredke said:
Sometimes the motos do have trouble keeping contact with cyclists on winding descents, but that's usually a news moto with a camera operator in back or a neutral support moto carrying a mechanic and a bunch of wheels and tools vs. a racing bicycle. If it were a racing moto with just the driver it would probably be different.
And another point is that the moto tries to keep a rough distance of 20 feet or less on the bike- so at times it might be hard for the moto to keep that same distance.

But if they didn't have to keep the camera close, they would fire up to 60 out of a few corners and been long gone.

· Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
I've had many experiences outcornering passenger cars out on the roads around here. Having said that, I will tell you that most passenger cars are driven to about .6 G before their drivers freak out and back off.

I once waved a car past on a downhill windy road and he wouldn't pass because of how narrow the road was. After a while I decided to just open it up and not hold up traffic any more than I had. At the bottom of the hill that car was nowhere to be seen for at least a quarter mile behind me. I've had similar experiences on a short windy road on my commute, too.

· Registered
1 Posts
Just went through this on Usenet. A car can generally stop faster. To first order, braking in a car is limited by the coefficient of friction of the tires; this can be slightly higher than 1 in a performance car, providing about 1g braking force. Braking in a bicycle (or motorcycle) is limited by how hard you can brake before flipping the bike over the front wheel, which is less than 1g.

I suspect a sports car can out-corner a bicycle at higher speeds. A bicycle obviously has a better turning radius at lower speeds. And there are some cars with absolutely horrific cornering. But even your average grocery getter isn't using anything near its full cornering ability making a right turn.
you would be wrong to assume that, just the weight and speed of the vehicle alone makes it harder to stop than a bicycle. it's common science more weight makes it harder to stop.

· 'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,917 Posts
you would be wrong to assume that, just the weight and speed of the vehicle alone makes it harder to stop than a bicycle. it's common science more weight makes it harder to stop.
2 things...
1) You have no clue.
2) Great job digging up a thread that has been dead for well over a decade to make your first post. Awesome.

· Registered
610 Posts
The contrast between the thoughtful and respectful responses to this thread from more than 10 years ago and the thoughtless, attacking, ankle biting, traffic cop, know it all drivel of the new responses highlights how several individuals who seem to pride themselves in being among the top "contributors" have more or less killed what this forum once was.

· Registered
25,226 Posts
The contrast between the thoughtful and respectful responses to this thread from more than 10 years ago and the thoughtless, attacking, ankle biting, traffic cop, know it all drivel of the new responses highlights how several individuals who seem to pride themselves in being among the top "contributors" have more or less killed what this forum once was.
So you think someone digging up 13yro threads, to make their first post, telling someone they're wrong because they don't understand 'common science' makes this forum 'good'? :rolleyes:

How about you address HighLndr41's rude ignorant post... and add value to the thread.

· Registered
610 Posts
So you think someone digging up 13yro threads, to make their first post, telling someone they're wrong because they don't understand 'common science' makes this forum 'good'? :rolleyes:

How about you address HighLndr41's rude ignorant post... and add value to the thread.
Neither of you top "contributors" and I'm sure the 3rd who will be along momentarily appear to understand how to leave what appears to be a baiting/spam 1st post alone, or to not respond if you can't add some value. If you felt so compelled to respond, perhaps you could have asked the individual or bot to elaborate how they came to their belief. What value did either of you add to this thread? And back to my point, the contrast of the thoughtful and respectful views, despite being varied of 10 plus years ago vs the garbage that is posted now is night and day and highlights how several long term members have and continue to kill this forum. Valued contributors have left out disgust or have gone largely silent. And the 1 out of 10 new members who might actually be trying to join in earnest and with good intentions get chased out or equally leave in disgust.

· Administrator
13,151 Posts
Moderators Note

None of you are covering yourselves in glory here, back to the topic at hand please.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.